HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Light weight oil NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
fastest-14

Expert Class
Fastest -14
posted May 15, 2008 12:48 PM        
Light weight oil

What's the lightest weight oil you guys recommend that's safe for street use on the ZX-14, and what brand?

Ignore this member   
johnsonzx14

Expert Class
posted May 15, 2008 01:14 PM        
I think I use 0w20 from brocks
  Ignore this member   
fastest-14

Expert Class
Fastest -14
posted May 15, 2008 01:20 PM        
What brand oil is that and is it synthetic or conventional?
  Ignore this member   
BobC

Pro
posted May 15, 2008 02:27 PM        
I use 5W30 Fully Synth Rock Oil in my 14 and so does a buddy in his 12R

2012 ZZR1400 in Golden Blazed Green
Brock CT Full System. etc
Max: 203.1 in 1 mile (so far)

Ignore this member   
johnsonzx14

Expert Class
posted May 15, 2008 02:44 PM        
Its synthetic, and Im pretty sure its allison.. Ill have to go and check.. but its been good in my bike
  Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted May 15, 2008 02:49 PM        
I wouldnt recommend 0-20 in stop and go traffic when its 90 degrees, 10-40 for street use.

wee

Ignore this member   
NOX

Needs a job
PMRA / TMRC Super Street 4022
posted May 15, 2008 03:49 PM        
Depends on the application.

Call the company that you are wanting to use. RP has a tech line.......
2010 PMRA Super Street #3 Points
2009 PMRA Super Street Points Runner-Up
6 Time Centerville Dragway Points Champion
Sponsored by:
Scorpion Helmets
Galfer Braking
AMSOIL
Steve's Speed Shop
Kawasaki Sports Center
Mickey Thompson Tires
Catalyst Racing Composites
Conway Cycle
Syed Leathers

Ignore this member   
Hawkman

Zone Head
posted May 15, 2008 05:10 PM        Edited By: Hawkman on 15 May 2008 17:11
I've got this in my 14 right now.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-30.aspx

Ignore this member   
johnsonzx14

Expert Class
posted May 15, 2008 05:17 PM        
I never had a problem, and I talked to Brock about it, He uses it all the time, no problems...
  Ignore this member   
jeff martin

Pro (closed)
jamming
posted May 15, 2008 07:43 PM        
Rotella 5w-40 syn works great here in washington state. If i lived in a warmer climate i might consider a 10w30 or 20w50. If you don't already know. the number in the beginning is its viscosity, at the second number of temp. So 5w40 will be vis 5 weight at 40 degrees. less damage at start up if its cooler compared to a 20w50. same shear factor just thinner when its cold. hope this helps. Dont fall into the myth that thicker oil lubes better.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit jeff martin's homepage. 
stevewfl

posted May 15, 2008 07:48 PM        
quote:
Rotella 5w-40 syn works great here in washington state. If i lived in a warmer climate i might consider a 10w30 or 20w50. If you don't already know. the number in the beginning is its viscosity, at the second number of temp. So 5w40 will be vis 5 weight at 40 degrees. less damage at start up if its cooler compared to a 20w50. same shear factor just thinner when its cold. hope this helps. Dont fall into the myth that thicker oil lubes better.

thats all I ran in mine here in scorching FL too, Rotella 5w-40 syn
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
jeff martin

Pro (closed)
jamming
posted May 15, 2008 08:12 PM        
quote:
quote:

thats all I ran in mine here in scorching FL too, Rotella 5w-40 syn

Thats good to know ! I will keep running it all summer.

entropy

posted May 16, 2008 02:59 AM        
quote:

YIKES!!!
time to review what those 2 numbers mean....

1st # an indicator of viscosity at std temp, 2nd # at a std operating temp

Ignore this member   
naj454

Novice Class
posted May 16, 2008 09:31 AM        
I use 0-20 in my zx-14 and my E55 AMG from broocks and I also compair all the the oils with it. and their is no better all on the market right now. if you look at the fact sheets and compair them to all other oils they win out on every spec. the oil was design and it is use in the space shutter. Their is know better oil on the market.
  Ignore this member   
Hawkman

Zone Head
posted May 16, 2008 01:41 PM        
You must not have to write for a living.

Ignore this member   
jeff martin

Pro (closed)
jamming
posted May 16, 2008 02:09 PM        
quote:
quote:

YIKES!!!

Huh ! WTF is standard temp. And standard operating is differnt on almost every bike on the planet. family members are ASE cert mechanic for years. Sorry your miss informed. So when the engine is up to lets say 210f the oil vicosity is the second number which in turn means it gets thicker when its hot. Not possible. If its 30 below and the oil is at the same temp the vicosity is much, much higher than 5 weight. So what you are saying makes no sense. If it's 40f outside and its a 5w-40 the weight is 5.

stevewfl

posted May 16, 2008 05:24 PM        
standard temp I think he meant with bike cold or "room temperature". operating temp meaning bike at normal engine temp.

Rotella 5W-40 is very popular in FL, matter of fact i heard about it on this board and it worked great in scorching FL.
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
smokinzx14

Needs a life
posted May 16, 2008 05:56 PM        
10w30 Mobil One for the track and street ....Seems to work great down here in Hell ( FL )

Ignore this member   
jeff martin

Pro (closed)
jamming
posted May 16, 2008 07:51 PM        
Mobil one is my second choice and would be my first if i could find it..For some reason its not easy to find here. But i can always find Rotella.

Cajunboyz

Zone Head
posted May 17, 2008 04:40 AM        
quote:
10w30 Mobil One for the track and street ....Seems to work great down here in Hell ( FL )

Hey Smokin, Is that the regulat Mobile 1(car oil) 10w-30 from Wal Mart????

Ignore this member   
entropy

posted May 17, 2008 08:55 AM        
quote:
quote:
quote:

YIKES!!!

Huh ! WTF is standard temp. And standard operating is differnt on almost every bike on the planet. family members are ASE cert mechanic for years. Sorry your miss informed. So when the engine is up to lets say 210f the oil vicosity is the second number which in turn means it gets thicker when its hot. Not possible. If its 30 below and the oil is at the same temp the vicosity is much, much higher than 5 weight. So what you are saying makes no sense. If it's 40f outside and its a 5w-40 the weight is 5.

well... yr family members may be "ASE cert for years" but old dogs can always learn new tricks

"SAE 10W40" is only a measurement of the oils viscosity at two different temperatures. The number in front of the "W" tells the viscosity at low temperature (25 degrees Celsius).The number after the "W" tells us about the oils viscosity at 100 degrees Celsius.

another thing...
"Don't fall into the myth that thicker oil lubes better..."

Oil viscosity at operating temp, the "thickness" number after the W, of the oil is recommended by the mfg for a specific motor design.
Tighter bearing clearances will maintain a given oil pressure at a given viscosity.
Put in an oil with a lower than recommended 2nd# and the bike WILL show less operating oil pressure.

Can the motor live at a lower oil pressure? yes indeed.

Is it a good idea to ignore the manufacturer's rec oil viscosity?
Nope, not for longevity.
Race bike? trade a few hp for a bit less longevity? why not!

Ignore this member   
fastest-14

Expert Class
Fastest -14
posted May 18, 2008 07:59 AM        
Man, this really seems to be a topic for discussions.

jeff martin stated that the number before the w is the wgt of the oil at the temparature of the 2nd number, thus 5w20 means that the oil is 5 wgt at 20 degrees. That's very simple and easy to remember, but then jeff u stated in your 1st reply that the oil was thinner when cold. I think u meant that the oil is thinner when warm, right? That would make more sense because heat thins out any fluid.

entropy, your theory on the viscosity of oil further confused me. Now I gotta go and read up on oil viscosity to see what the numbers really mean.

naj454, what brand oil does Brock sell?

Mobil one now makes 0w20 fully synthetic. They just came out with it. To answer your question Cajunboyz, that's regular car oil but Mobil 1's synthetic oil is great for bikes to, as long as the engine is broken in. Use regular petroleum oil on new engines and/or engines that have just been built so that the internal engine parts can break in properly.

Smokin, how do you feel Mobil 1 0w20, fully synthetic oil would do in the Florida heat both on and off the track?

Great replys guys. Keep them coming.

Ignore this member   
jeff martin

Pro (closed)
jamming
posted May 18, 2008 08:33 AM        
quote:
Man, this really seems to be a topic for discussions.

but then jeff u stated in your 1st reply that the oil was thinner when cold.

I don't see where i said that ? I said the visosity is much higher when cold.. So yes it's thicker at lowering temps. You know it doesnt matter as much as what type of juice you like. it matters most, how often you change it for the conditions. Just stay away from the energy conserving seal, because they contain Molybdenum co-polymers that make your clutch slip. Spending money on a high quaility filter will be better spent, than on a focus of the best oil in the world debate. A research group did a study on the NY taxi cabs getting 500 to 750 thou out of a gas engine, It wasn't the oil it wasn't the filter. It was the fact they never shut them off. even when fueling. Only shut them off for maintenance. So a huge part of damage due to friction is on start up. So in one aspect its important to have a oil that joins with the metal. So thats one reason i use Rotella no friction mod's that allow the oil to run off internal parts. Its also designed to run a Half million miles in a Diesel before any major loss of Shear ability. If you run a 20w50 in your bike and you live in the north and start your bike in the winter just to hear it run and warm it up. Dont worry about what oil you are using because all the damage is done !

stevewfl

posted May 18, 2008 10:00 AM        
its all good, we were in need of just one more oil debate on this forum
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
entropy

posted May 18, 2008 10:07 AM        
guys the xxWyy issue isn't complex

a low 1st number means that that oil has a lower viscosity at low temps than an oil with a higher 1st number at low temps.

the second number indicates the viscosity at operating temp. the 2nd number is assuredly NOT temperature.

sooooooo

for a motor which is designed for 40 wt oil at operating temps:
in alaska a 0W40 is good
in Houston 20W40 is good

so there is basically no difference in viscosity of 2 oils with the same 2nd number at operating temps no matter what the 1st number is.

BTW: i work for "big oil" and have access to lube engineers. I am NOT an expert, but know some o' those guys.

Mr Jeff

"Spending money on a high quaility filter will be better spent, than on a focus of the best oil in the world debate"

good god, stop when you are any further behind...

good oil + good filter (for yr application) = success

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Light weight oil NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.825584888458 seconds processing time