HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Light weight oil NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
fastest-14

Expert Class
Fastest -14
posted May 18, 2008 01:00 PM        
quote:
Rotella 5w-40 syn works great here in washington state. If i lived in a warmer climate i might consider a 10w30 or 20w50. If you don't already know. the number in the beginning is its viscosity, at the second number of temp. So 5w40 will be vis 5 weight at 40 degrees. less damage at start up if its cooler compared to a 20w50. same shear factor just thinner when its cold. hope this helps.

My bad jeff martin. I think I misconstrued your statement in the last sentence here.

So many of you guys say that it's all about the oil filter in combination with the oil. What's your filter of choice? I like the K&N filter. Very convient with the 17mm nut on the end, in addition to it being a pretty good filter.

Ignore this member   
jeff martin

Pro (closed)
jamming
posted May 18, 2008 03:04 PM        
I prefer a filter company that has tested the bypass valves on a number of units of the same number. After that i prefer a filter that will not allow anything larger than 10 microns thru the filter. K&N is a excellent filter in reguards to filtration. But its difficult to get specs on bypass in Lbs. So i use PER-FORM filters due to this reason. $11.43 each if you order 6 or more. Another well tested quaility filter is by Napa PS "Power Sports" $8.65 each at you Napa store. But i find i have to order them, But there in the next day. #PS-1358. There made by the same company that makes..Mobil filters. Honda filters. Kendall Filters. And purolator.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit jeff martin's homepage. 
fastest-14

Expert Class
Fastest -14
posted May 18, 2008 07:22 PM        
Thanks for that info, Jeff.
  Ignore this member   
jeff martin

Pro (closed)
jamming
posted May 19, 2008 08:02 PM        
Your welcome..Just one more note, I find i get a small amount of seppage around the filter if i torque it to kawasaki spec. Being its not a factory filter might be the problem. So i use 8ft-lbs with of course a small film of oil on the seal. Has worked just fine !

Ignore this member    Click here to visit jeff martin's homepage. 
butterthegreat

Expert Class
posted May 19, 2008 08:15 PM        
I live in so cal and it's 110 out where I work these days and I commute on the 14....I use shell rotella 5w-40 full synthetic...no problems here!
  Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted May 19, 2008 08:22 PM        
I like the K&N filters because they conveniently have the hole for safety wire.... oh wait thats only applicable to track bikes
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
Hawkman

Zone Head
posted May 19, 2008 11:09 PM        
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Ignore this member   
naj454

Novice Class
posted May 20, 2008 08:02 AM        
it is from Aero Space Lubricants Inc. This is the best oil on the market. I have seen better mileage using this oil and more horse power using it. Alisyn Synthetic. Compare their 0-20 against any of the other brands mention and they will come out on top all the time. Brocks did a write up on this oil. He said that out of all other brands he tested. That this was the best. And he was using the 0 weight oil.
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2   ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Light weight oil NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
1.06174921989 seconds processing time