HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 08 punching the cat! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Zedexdragon

Novice Class
posted May 02, 2008 02:59 PM        
08 punching the cat!

Hello all, I just joined and wanted to say howdy as well as ask a question. I am very interested in a new exhaust for my 08 Zx. In researching options I have seen where the cat in the stock header is drilled out. This looks attractive due to cost. In searching I have not been able to find a "how to" or a write up on this procedure.

Can anyone provide info on this or a guide? I am weighing cost savings over how much time it is going to take for me to do this.

Again hello all!!

Kinley

Ignore this member   
jeff martin

Pro (closed)
jamming
posted May 02, 2008 03:19 PM        
Welcome to the forum..Sorry can't answer your question though..I went with yosh pipe's..But i do know if you change the exhaust in any config you should install a power commander..

Ignore this member    Click here to visit jeff martin's homepage. 
butta4hc

Expert Class
posted May 02, 2008 03:41 PM        
I'm almost certain that everyone who gets on here may not recommend this. Have you considered slip-ons if your looking to save a few dollars? Also, you might wanna check on e-bay for a used exhaust systems if you are patient enough. Whatever you do, I hope you get rid of them Star Trek specials.

(Theme from the opening of the show playing, lol)

Photobucket

Photobucket
2006 Black ZX-14 - Recall Frame Swap, Full Muzzy GP Exhaust, PCIII, BMC Race Filter, Flies Out, Braided Front Brake & Cutch Lines, Muzzy's Radiator Fan, Engine Ice Coolant, Frame Sliders, SubFrame Sliders, Puig Dark Smoke Windscreen, Powerbronze Hugger, Cox Radiator Guard, Unswitched Powerlet Outlet under seat, Switched Powerlet Outlet On Right Duct Panel, Intergrated Tail Light, HID lights high and low beam, Blue corner marker lights, Eclipse License Plate Blackout Kit, Black Pazzo Levers, Scorpio Alarm, Lojack Theft Recovery System, Rapid Transit Triple Tree Bag, Cortech Tank, Tail & Saddle Bags and the bragging rights for being "The Fastest 14 In The Country" for a few weeks when the 14 made it's debut here in the states.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit butta4hc's homepage. 
FasterThanStink

Pro
posted May 02, 2008 05:41 PM        
You still will have the third cat in the collectors. Be patient and save up for some slip-ons at least.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FasterThanStink's homepage. 
Zedexdragon

Novice Class
posted May 02, 2008 05:54 PM        
Thank you for the welcomes! Indeed I plan on adding a PC and slip-ons but I am wanting to know how to get rid of the third cat just before it splits for the two exhausts. I am aware that the 08 has the three cats one in each muffler and then the third one I am trying to remove (thinking of removing).

Thus far I think you all are right about getting the full system but when the wife asks, I want to make sure I have bases covered . Plus I did see someone do this but it was just pictures.

Thank you again!
Kinley

Ignore this member   
scated

Parking Attendant
posted May 02, 2008 06:02 PM        
I'm wondering the same thing about the cat in the collector. The '08 actually has a larger diameter header so my thought was to remove/drill/chisel/dyanamite the cat out and put slip ons with a PC3. I think the author of this thread, like me, is looking for the most effective method of getting the cat out. I'm curious about once that is done and slip-ons and a PC3 is installed how much of a difference there would be between that set up and a full system with a PC3?

Thanks for the help!

Ignore this member   
FasterThanStink

Pro
posted May 02, 2008 06:42 PM        
Any good slip-ons for an 08 will get rid of all of the cats. The stock mufflers are permanently attached to the pipes that lead to the collector so most just extend or have a simple collector. The full system is the best, but not everyone has the $$ to spend.

Zedexdragon

Novice Class
posted May 02, 2008 06:45 PM        
FasterThanStink-
You are correct up to a point on the third cat. For the 08 Kawi snuck it right in where the pipe splits at the "y". 08 is the only year so far that this has been done hence why I wanna blast that stinker out.

Cheers
Kinley

Ignore this member   
firecombs

Parking Attendant
posted May 03, 2008 10:23 AM        
quote:
Any good slip-ons for an 08 will get rid of all of the cats. The stock mufflers are permanently attached to the pipes that lead to the collector so most just extend or have a simple collector. The full system is the best, but not everyone has the $$ to spend.

that is incorrect. 0n the 08 the third cat is at the y and the other two are in the pipes. previous years only had cats in the muffs. therefor slips will only remove 2 of the 3 cats on 08's.

Ignore this member   
CrotchRocket

Bracket Racing with Betsy
posted May 03, 2008 10:35 AM        
Why would you want to punch out your cat???

On a serious note, just save up for a pipe and put it on...Anything else is a waste of time and $$$

*****DragRacers do it better, because they dont cut Corners*****

Ignore this member    Click here to visit CrotchRocket's homepage. 
lucky14

Pro
posted May 03, 2008 12:25 PM        

A couple of people on ZX14Ninja.com have done it.

Here is a before pic:

HOW DOES THE 08 MAKE ANY POWER WITH THIS PLUG IN THE COLLECTOR???

Here's the after:

Do a search there and you can find threads about it. Here is one of them:

http://www.zx14ninja.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=9171&highlight=remove+cat

The site is soooooooooooooooo slow that it may take several tries to even open the page.

Ignore this member   
scated

Parking Attendant
posted May 03, 2008 03:20 PM        
I hang out over there too but no one has detailed the process they used to get the cat out or helpful hints. I still don't understand folks going toward the full system on the '08????? Someone straighten me out here. My plan is to remove that cat, be left with a larger more free flowing header (I may get it coated), and then put on a nice pair of slip ons. I can't imagine that what I just mentioned would be much shorter on power gain than a full system.

HAS ANYONE REMOVED THE CAT ON AN '08 AND DO YOU HAVE A PROCESS OR HELPFUL HINTS?

Thanks.

Ignore this member   
FasterThanStink

Pro
posted May 03, 2008 04:17 PM        
quote:
I hang out over there too but no one has detailed the process they used to get the cat out or helpful hints. I still don't understand folks going toward the full system on the '08????? Someone straighten me out here. My plan is to remove that cat, be left with a larger more free flowing header (I may get it coated), and then put on a nice pair of slip ons. I can't imagine that what I just mentioned would be much shorter on power gain than a full system.

HAS ANYONE REMOVED THE CAT ON AN '08 AND DO YOU HAVE A PROCESS OR HELPFUL HINTS?

Thanks.

It will be by about 7-8 horsepower.
The cats main problem is the heat not the HP loss. Modern cats cause very little actual loss. Possibly 1-2 HP total. Thats it. The fact that they start to function at 800 degrees is the problem. Some slip -ons and a hammer. It's not rocket science. Just punch the sucker out.

butta4hc

Expert Class
posted May 03, 2008 04:51 PM        
quote:

Thanks.

I have no helpful hints on removing a cat on a bike but I can say this much: Most aftermarket full systems of good quality have mandrel bends which result in a more free flowing exhaust. In addition, they are typically lighter than the stock header. To add, the stock header forces you to use two slip ons. There goes that weight thing again. I humbly say, save your money and go aftermarket.
2006 Black ZX-14 - Recall Frame Swap, Full Muzzy GP Exhaust, PCIII, BMC Race Filter, Flies Out, Braided Front Brake & Cutch Lines, Muzzy's Radiator Fan, Engine Ice Coolant, Frame Sliders, SubFrame Sliders, Puig Dark Smoke Windscreen, Powerbronze Hugger, Cox Radiator Guard, Unswitched Powerlet Outlet under seat, Switched Powerlet Outlet On Right Duct Panel, Intergrated Tail Light, HID lights high and low beam, Blue corner marker lights, Eclipse License Plate Blackout Kit, Black Pazzo Levers, Scorpio Alarm, Lojack Theft Recovery System, Rapid Transit Triple Tree Bag, Cortech Tank, Tail & Saddle Bags and the bragging rights for being "The Fastest 14 In The Country" for a few weeks when the 14 made it's debut here in the states.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit butta4hc's homepage. 
busajack5

Expert Class
Rocket lll
posted May 03, 2008 05:27 PM        Edited By: busajack5 on 3 May 2008 17:28
Yo Zedex,I have drilled out my center cat and am using slipons and wish I lived where I could race some of these guys that insist on full systems for that 2 HP at 10000 RPM.My old busas were supposed to be great on low end and they were nuthing like this 14 on the low end. All you need is long drill bits,at least 8 inches.Drill cuss drill cuss.Just kidden but it takes a couple hours to get it all out and OMG what a difference.Iam using the Muzzy slip ons and PClll with muzzys map. Yes it probably weights 8 pounds more than a full system but so do most of these guys.THHE They sit here waiting for Brock to announce some hundred HP system when In reality hes having trouble making enough more HP than the stock headers to make his systems worth the extra money..All you hear is how much more peak HP. Well I dont ride around at peak RPM.Ask about Torque at 3000 to 8000 where you ride most of the time. If you need any help PM me Jack. PS those picts. above are my bike.

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted May 03, 2008 05:45 PM        
full system, and have a bike that is right.
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
scated

Parking Attendant
posted May 03, 2008 07:01 PM        
Well, I'd say the gauntlet has been thrown down. Someone put your money where your mouth is and lets see the dyno results of an '08 with a full system vs an '08 with the third cat removed and slip ons. Both with good maps of course.

I'm really interested in the low end torque for carving twisties. Is there a preferred set up for that? I could really care less about a few horsepower on the top end.

Ignore this member   
FasterThanStink

Pro
posted May 03, 2008 07:39 PM        
Remove the secondary butterfly valves. Even on an 08 you will get a significant amount additional low end torque.

busajack5

Expert Class
Rocket lll
posted May 03, 2008 09:44 PM        Edited By: busajack5 on 3 May 2008 21:50
quote:
Well, I'd say the gauntlet has been thrown down. Someone put your money where your mouth is and lets see the dyno results of an '08 with a full system vs an '08 with the third cat removed and slip ons. Both with good maps of course.

I'm really interested in the low end torque for carving twisties. Is there a preferred set up for that? I could really care less about a few horsepower on the top end.

Dyno schimno bring your bike out here,I have an interstate all to myself for a hundred miles. I guess Ill have to post a run with torque aginst HP. Torque is what makes a bike fun to ride.If you want to pay over a grand for mandrel bends be my guest.The stock headers are. If all you do is drag race yes then max HP is what you want but how many folks here just drag.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N10raR2ADBE&NR=1

Ignore this member   
bigdtd

Needs a job
Interceptors
posted May 04, 2008 11:47 AM        
get a pipe
2006 Black ZX-14,6 inches over,16/42, flies out,BMC Street Filter,Brock's Street Meg,Brock's Radial Mount Strap,PClll with Race map,Dynojet LCD w/Techmount, ZX-14 fender eliminator,Pilot Power2CTs,Speedohealer,Pazzo Levers,Cox Radiator Guard, Garmin Nuvi 265WT

Ignore this member   
robrooter

Expert Class
posted May 06, 2008 06:18 AM        Edited By: robrooter on 6 May 2008 06:20
ive removed my 3rd cat with a hammer an 4 screwdrivers which took 3hours,it has made a differnce in sound and is louder definate to do

Ignore this member   
Zedexdragon

Novice Class
posted May 06, 2008 06:53 AM        Edited By: Zedexdragon on 6 May 2008 06:54
Thanks all for your replies!!!! Using a hammer and drill on something for more than 2 minutes if it aint dead I am for sure pissed off , adult ADD!!! Unexpected windfall sees me putting a SMEG on the bike. Going to order it here soon from Brock along with a PC. While wanting to save cash is a big plus I have to admit I just do not have the patience to work on the header for a couple hours cussing at it.

Cheers all
Kinley

Ignore this member   
firecombs

Parking Attendant
posted May 06, 2008 08:57 AM        
i have been waiting to punch my cat. currently just running yosh trc pipes. i am concerned about the bike needing a remap with the collector cat punched, and have not seen evidence that the stock mapping is ok with all the cats removed. would really like to know, and if stock map is not sufficient - what map out their will work?

Ignore this member   
wikidzx-14

Novice Class
posted May 06, 2008 01:49 PM        
Will the stock header from an 07 fit on the 08, if so I have one that you can buy cheap. I put brocks SMEG on my 07.

Ignore this member   
busajack5

Expert Class
Rocket lll
posted May 06, 2008 02:21 PM        
quote:
Thanks all for your replies!!!! Using a hammer and drill on something for more than 2 minutes if it aint dead I am for sure pissed off , adult ADD!!! Unexpected windfall sees me putting a SMEG on the bike. Going to order it here soon from Brock along with a PC. While wanting to save cash is a big plus I have to admit I just do not have the patience to work on the header for a couple hours cussing at it.

Cheers all
Kinley

Yup your the typical new generation,cant do it yourself pay for it. Kinda like folks that belong to Psysical Fitness clubs.They pay to go exercize when they could stay home and clean and paint and fix what their houses need and get the same exercize for free plus keeping there neighborhood up..Any one here that can't spot a neighbor who dosen't keep up his house.Bet they belong to a health club. You better learn to help yourself or some rag head will do it for you and you can pay him..TEHE

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 08 punching the cat! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.73070192337 seconds processing time