HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: switch on clutch lever?? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
87gtNOS

Zone Head
posted March 13, 2008 05:48 PM        
switch on clutch lever??

I just put on some cheap fake carbon look levers and I either bent the switch's pin or the new lever's 'paddle' isn't as big as the old lever and it doesn't cover the pin well enough and it slips to the side.

Does this matter? Other than accidentally starting the bike in gear? Maybe I will see where it connects...open or closed circuit when the lever is NOT depressed, and wire is open or closed permanently....and make sure to not start it in gear by accident!!

Thanks

03 ZX9R-traded in for the 14!!! June 07!
05 636-traded in for the 9 Sept 05

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted March 14, 2008 07:46 AM        Edited By: dubious on 14 Mar 2008 07:49
I think you answered your own question... LOL

Some bikes pull timing in neutral and when clutch is in ... for noise emissions testing...

I am 98% sure the zx14 switch is only used to prevent starting in gear like you said...

-If you decide to run a staging rpm limiter.... then you will be shit out of luck, as it operates off the clutch switch pin....

thats the only possible issue i see.

Ignore this member   
87gtNOS

Zone Head
posted March 19, 2008 05:46 AM        
Thanks for the reply Lyle.

Did some more messing around last night.

Could someone please go turn on their bike key and pull on the front brake lever and see just how hard you gotta put on the front brake to see the Tail LIGHT come on? With both levers (stock and after market) I have to pretty much have the front tire LOCKED!
I don't think there is any adjustment for this is there? I may just grind off some of the thickness of the 'paddle' that hits the pin switch.
Could you please note the travel...mine only moves like 1/2", not much travel to lock the front tire! (perhaps weird to me, having not rode for nearly 5 months?!)

As for my clutch lever and the pin for that...upon comparing it with the original lever, the 'paddle' is slightly smaller in width where it hits the pin switch. I may swap those two parts from one to the other.

Thanks to anyone who checks this out for me!

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted March 19, 2008 06:00 AM        
As soon as the lever moves, essentially 1/8" mine comes on bro....
I recall looking at this when blleding my stainless lines last summer...
The light should come on ASAP, to warn the traffic behind you....

Ignore this member   
87gtNOS

Zone Head
posted March 19, 2008 06:08 AM        
Yes, I understand! Seems weird to me. I pulled the plunger out....wondering if it had moved 'out' some when I first took off the original lever. It hadn't. The 'piston' is kept from coming out by a special circlip. So it definitely isn't 'out' some. I then checked the lever travel with the stock lever, and it was the same, along with checking the depth of the hole for the actuating pin. Same depths there too. The two brake levers are identical.

So is like 1/2" of total travel normal? Let's say in the area where your third finger is on the lever?

Ignore this member   
Cajunboyz

Zone Head
posted March 19, 2008 07:16 AM        
quote:
I just put on some cheap fake carbon look levers !!

Thanks

Hey 87gtNOS, Where did you get the carbon fiber levers??? Any pictures

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted March 19, 2008 07:18 AM        
Not sure of exact distance, which will depend on which position you have the adjuster on the lever set at, but about 1/2 travel is as far as i could pull the lever in with all my might after bleeding the brakes, this was with the bike on the lift, I am sure the tire would lock if rolling!

Never paid much attention to it otherwise, except i have the brakes set up tight with the adjuster, i like sensitive brakes, little lever travel and early application....

Ignore this member   
87gtNOS

Zone Head
posted March 19, 2008 07:23 AM        
I bought the levers on Ebay....$29.95..or maybe $25.95......carbon look paint on them.

I'll try to take a pic over the next day or two.

Lyle, yeah, the adjuster only sets the lever distance from your hands....so yeah, about 1/2" of travel must be correct then if yours is like that too!! So I gotta figure out how to get my light on sooner!!

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted March 19, 2008 08:29 AM        
Maybe epoxy some shimstock to the lever plate, to decrease the distance between the plunger switch and lever plate?

I haven't really looked at it much, but adding or removing distance there, is the answer!

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: switch on clutch lever?? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.624666929245 seconds processing time