HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: ethanol in your gas? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
bigdtd

Needs a job
Interceptors
posted February 09, 2008 11:44 AM        
ethanol in your gas?

i am seeing more gas stations in my area with stickers on the pump stating up to 10% ethanol content. so far none has made it into the zx-14. (i use 93 octane bp or sunoco mostly) most of the places are like hess, racetrac, and rally. but i wonder if bp, sunoco, and shell are going to start or already are using it. in any case what are the drawbacks or advantages to using ethanol laced gas? i thought it might gum up the works, but i have ran a few tanks through the car with no problems noticed...yet. anyone know whats up?
2006 Black ZX-14,6 inches over,16/42, flies out,BMC Street Filter,Brock's Street Meg,Brock's Radial Mount Strap,PClll with Race map,Dynojet LCD w/Techmount, ZX-14 fender eliminator,Pilot Power2CTs,Speedohealer,Pazzo Levers,Cox Radiator Guard, Garmin Nuvi 265WT

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted February 09, 2008 12:02 PM        
I think my ZX14 manual said ethonal at 10% is fine. I never had any problems with it. Anyway, all the manufacturers have stated its safe in many articles.

"The use of E-10 (ethanol 10%) Unleaded is approved for use by major motorcycle manufacturers including Harley-Davidson, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha. Harley-Davidson goes so far as to recommend the use of renewable, clean air fuels such as E-10 Unleaded because of their environmental and performance benefits."
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
NinjaNick

Needs a job
'08 ZX14 (Blue)
posted February 09, 2008 12:18 PM        
http://www.iowacorn.org/ethanol/ethanol_3b.html

Ethanol Myths
Common Questions Regarding Ethanol Use

Q: Does ethanol plug fuel filters?
A: When ethanol first came into use, it was put into older vehicles that had fuel systems that had become varnished over a period of use. Ethanol began to clean the varnish from tanks, fuel lines, and carburetors. This did cause fuel filters to plug. Once the fuel system was clean, this problem was over. Today detergent gasolines help keep fuel systems clean and, in most cases, ethanol fuel is put into clean fuel systems; therefore, the problem no longer exists. All gasolines sold today have detergents added to their composition.

Q: Is ethanol bad for certain fuel system components in fuel pumps and carburetors?
A: Early on, some elastomers (rubber-like parts) and metal in these fuel system components did deteriorate over time. Very quickly manufacturers changed these fuel system components to be compatible with ethanol fuel. From time to time, this myth begins to circulate again, but it is not true. Today, all vehicle manufacturers, domestic and foreign, approve the use of ethanol fuels.

Q: Doesn't the use of ethanol-blended fuel cause a decrease in fuel mileage?
A: There are so many variables that relate to fuel mileage, such as the season, the weather, how the vehicle may be driven, etc., that it is hard for the average vehicle owner to accurately check fuel mileage. Every vehicle is somewhat different in driveability characteristics, as well. Some carbureted vehicles that run rich may experience an increase in fuel economy. The most current information derived from controlled environmental testing is that on fuel injected vehicles, fuel mileage may decrease by approximately 2%. A vehicle that averages 30 MPG on the highway would average 29.4 MPG using ethanol-blended fuel, a small price to pay for a cleaner environment.

Q: Won't ethanol-blended fuel attract moisture to my fuel system?
A: All of today's automotive fuel systems are closed systems and cannot attract moisture. Ethanol will absorb moisture that is in a fuel system and carry it out in suspension as it is consumed. The most likely cause for water in gasoline today would be from service station storage tanks, a problem that is very rare. If water content becomes too high in ethanol fuel, it will separate and fall to the bottom of the vehicle's fuel tank. When ethanol fuel is used in a vehicle, no winter de-icer is required.

Q: Does ethanol cause injectors to plug in port fuel injector vehicles?
A: This theory was never proven. Earlier fuel injectors of the pintle design could form deposits that changed the pattern of the injected fuel. This problem developed from injectors seeping fuel when the vehicle was not running. This formed carbon deposits on the pintle and caused even more leakage. This could happen with any gasoline. Because of this problem, injectors in most vehicles have been re-designed around the popet style and all gasoline is required to carry a detergent component to alleviate the deposit problem.

Q: Does ethanol cause vapor lock on hot days?
A: Today, fuel vapor pressure is regulated by the EPA with a lower vapor pressure for summer grades of fuel. In this area of the Midwest, ethanol fuel may carry a one pound higher vapor pressure than conventional gasoline. Occasionally, a vehicle may vapor lock on a hot day, but this problem has mostly been eliminated.*

Q: Does ethanol use cause injector failure?
A: This seemed to be a problem on certain vehicles from 1988 to 1993. The manufacturers changed the injector coil insulation. It appears that this problem does not exist on late model vehicles.

Q: Isn't ethanol fuel blended to over 10% many times?
A: Overblends of oxygenates in gasoline are rare and never intentional. Ethanol, MTBE and other ethers all cost significantly more than gasoline. To overblend even 2% results in increased production costs exceeding 1¢ per gallon. Manufacturers of oxygenated gasolines are very cautious not to overblend and most now use very sophisticated equipment to achieve precise blend levels at or below maximum permitted levels.*

Q: Will we deplete human and animal food supplies by using corn and other grains for fuel production?
A: No, actually the production of ethanol from corn uses only the starch of the corn kernel. All of the valuable protein, minerals and nutrients remain. One bushel of corn produces about 2.7 gallons of ethanol AND 11.4 pounds of gluten feed (20% protein) AND 3 pounds of gluten meal (60% protein) AND 1.6 pounds of corn oil.

Q: Does it take more energy to produce a gallon of ethanol than the energy we get out of it?
A: No. Research indicates an approximate 67% gain in the overall corn-to-ethanol process and use of that ethanol for fuel. Corn yields and processing technologies have improved significantly over the past 20 years and they continue to do so, making ethanol production less and less energy intensive.

Ignore this member   
NinjaNick

Needs a job
'08 ZX14 (Blue)
posted February 09, 2008 12:21 PM        
Here's a counter-arguement too:

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/apr2006/bw20060427_493909.htm

Ignore this member   
NinjaNick

Needs a job
'08 ZX14 (Blue)
posted February 09, 2008 12:22 PM        
GOOGLE ROCKS!
  Ignore this member   
bigdtd

Needs a job
Interceptors
posted February 09, 2008 12:32 PM        
thanks for the info nick, i wondered if there was a performance increase or decrease as well...
2006 Black ZX-14,6 inches over,16/42, flies out,BMC Street Filter,Brock's Street Meg,Brock's Radial Mount Strap,PClll with Race map,Dynojet LCD w/Techmount, ZX-14 fender eliminator,Pilot Power2CTs,Speedohealer,Pazzo Levers,Cox Radiator Guard, Garmin Nuvi 265WT

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted February 09, 2008 12:39 PM        
its a true fact ethanol gets less mileage per above.

but billions of cars and motorcycle burn it daily, and all the motorcycle manufacturers endorse it, many recommend it has benefits.

Sure there are internet articles galore to counter ethanol. I'll keep using it in both my toodle around R1 and my race bike.
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
NinjaNick

Needs a job
'08 ZX14 (Blue)
posted February 09, 2008 12:59 PM        
No problem bigdtd!
  Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted February 09, 2008 01:03 PM        
3 trillion barrel at $100 a barrel !

Its Oil sands , not tar sands.... Dooy

Ethanol will make high compression engines ping and detonate under heavy loads and low rpm too...
Turn you mighty 14 into a diesel..... till it dies! LOL

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted February 09, 2008 01:10 PM        
quote:
3 trillion barrel at $100 a barrel !

Its Oil sands , not tar sands.... Dooy

Ethanol will make high compression engines ping and detonate under heavy loads and low rpm too...
Turn you mighty 14 into a diesel..... till it dies! LOL

I have heard of bikes with heavy loads too!

CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted February 09, 2008 01:15 PM        
Hey, is that your new honey?
LOL
She's a real beauti!
Your a lucky man!
They need lovintoo.
On behalf of the rest of mankind, I want to thank you for satisfiing tho ones which simply are too much woman for us!

Keep up the good work Stevewiffle studmufin! LOL
you are "THEE MAN" ! :P

What size the bike?
Is it one of the chinese Pit bikes?

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted February 09, 2008 01:16 PM        
its an older Ninja!
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted February 09, 2008 01:18 PM        
Dood, thats a big bike!
a zx11 !
LOL

WOW ! Its dwarfed! :EEK

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: ethanol in your gas? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.62106013298 seconds processing time