HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 15000 Mile Service NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
ghostman

Expert Class
posted January 17, 2008 05:38 PM        
15000 Mile Service

Well, coming up on 15,000 miles and need to think about the 15,000 mile service recommended for this bike. What's to be expected of the 15,000 Mile Service.

What's the average cost of this service?

Could this be possibly done by myself?

If not, does anybody recommend a Service Center in or near Central Virginia?

Ignore this member   
kawabunga

Expert Class
Cogswell Cogs Installed
posted January 17, 2008 06:37 PM        Edited By: kawabunga on 17 Jan 2008 18:05
A 15k service is very involved and labor intensive. Keep in mind that the recommended services are just that, recommended, If they were required to maintain your warranty you wouldn't have to pay the dealer to do it. You need to consider a valve adjustment, this is as important as your oil. Tight valves you cannot hear, performance will be lost and wear to the valve seat area will be expidited if ignored. Intakes usually tighten and exhaust loosen. This is a shim under bucket setup so cams have to be removed just to make one adjustment of one tight or loose valve. All 16 can be adjusted if need be in the same amount of time it would take to adjust one. Valve reading clearance check, cam(s) removal, buckets out, shims mic'd, math done, new shims in, buckets in, cams in, cover on and ready. Also a good move while in there to change the plugs. Proper maintenance is the life of your bike. You take care of your kids, wife, dog, car, lawn mower etc....please take care of the bike. Maintenace is more important than bling. It's the cost of owning one. These motorcycles with proper maintenance and care will last a lifetime...they become disposable with lack of maintenance. Steering head bearings need to checked, that means dropping the front end off. Swingarm needs to be removed and checked as well as all wheel bearings, tire balance, yadayadayada....trust me whatever your dearler quotes you for this service is in line with the manufacturer's flat rate time, times their hourly labor rate plus parts. If you have an honest dealer and master tech doing the work yuor bike will come back to you feeling like it did when you purchased it. It would cost you 480.00 plus parts for me to do it. That's 8 hours at 60.00 per hour. Trust me it's an all day job to disassemble and reassemble your motorcycle front to back regardless of who does the work as long as they are following protocol. Pay now or Pay later, it's up to you.
  Ignore this member   
Tool Man

Needs a job
posted January 17, 2008 07:34 PM        
+1

Ignore this member   
hotrod360

Novice Class
posted January 18, 2008 03:17 AM        
+2
  Ignore this member   
ghostman

Expert Class
posted January 18, 2008 05:08 AM        Edited By: ghostman on 18 Jan 2008 04:11
Sounds good kawabunga.

Thanks.

I still would like some advice on who to go to in Virginia.

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted January 18, 2008 03:21 PM        
I was surprised when I found my ZX14 needing service at 15K, when most manufacturers make it 26K. But then I thought about the DUC owners intervals.....
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
Sticks_n_Stones

Needs a job
posted January 18, 2008 06:16 PM        
Can you imagine what a Ducati owner would say if you said there service would only cost them $480 for all major maintenance up to 15K miles? lol

Hate to pay it, so will probably do all myself (with Krukov helping- great having mechanic friends). If valves need adjusting, might just take it to the dealer, though. Friendship only goes so far... he is only a part time mechanic, after all...
Flies out K&N in!
bits n pieces...

Ignore this member   
blackbullet76

Pro
posted January 19, 2008 07:24 AM        
I'll be doing mine on my 14, I'm sure. I did it on my 01 zx6r. It was scary at first, but once you get into it, it's not that bad if you have good mechanical knowledge.
BMC race filter
Flies removed
16 tooth front sprocket
Speedohealer
APE cam chain tensioner
Vortex rearsets

Ignore this member    Click here to visit blackbullet76's homepage. 
bigdtd

Needs a job
Interceptors
posted January 19, 2008 08:49 PM        
kawabunga, do you thinl most dealers do such a thorough job?
2006 Black ZX-14,6 inches over,16/42, flies out,BMC Street Filter,Brock's Street Meg,Brock's Radial Mount Strap,PClll with Race map,Dynojet LCD w/Techmount, ZX-14 fender eliminator,Pilot Power2CTs,Speedohealer,Pazzo Levers,Cox Radiator Guard, Garmin Nuvi 265WT

Ignore this member   
ghostman

Expert Class
posted January 19, 2008 09:27 PM        
quote:
kawabunga, do you thinl most dealers do such a thorough job?

That's my issue. I haven't heard too many good things about dealerships in this area.

Ignore this member   
kawabunga

Expert Class
Cogswell Cogs Installed
posted January 20, 2008 01:37 AM        Edited By: kawabunga on 20 Jan 2008 00:38
I can only speak for myself and from experience. You need to find a master tech with years of experience. Here's why. A master tech with years of experience, like myself have lived, learned, breathed, ate and slept motorcycles for years. We have a passion for what we do and a true love for the motorcycle and the real motorcycle way of life. Young techs that have done the AMI, MMI thing are what most dealers are looking for nowadays. There are many future excellent techs that are coming out of those schools, they just don't have the experience yet. The pay structure the dealers present to them revolves around efficiency & proficiency ( flat rate hours booked against time on the clock and no come backs ). That's a lot of pressure on a young tech trying to make it in this business. The service manager is your other hurdle, most are just interested in numbers like the owner and poison the techs with bad habits. " don't worry about that, he will never know we didn't do that ". Man I wish you were down here. You seem to really care about your bike and taking care of it and torn apart by what to do. I am in Greenville, SC, straight down I-85. If you were willing to take the time to truck or trailer the bike down here, I will put you up in the hotel next door to us and have the bike ready in one day. Get to the shop by 6:00 pm, drop the bike, go to the hotel & get some rest, I start on the bike the next morning at 9, you are welcome to watch, we have an observation window, I will be finished by 6, then your option to spend one more night or drive back home. This offer stands for all board members as well. PM me with your phone # and I'll give you a call to discuss things more in detail.
  Ignore this member   
bigdtd

Needs a job
Interceptors
posted January 21, 2008 05:06 PM        
Good Information! I am going to talk to the guys where I bought my bike and find out whats up. If I don't get the right answers or feeling about it, it will come your way. It sounds like you do a great job! Very consciencious.
2006 Black ZX-14,6 inches over,16/42, flies out,BMC Street Filter,Brock's Street Meg,Brock's Radial Mount Strap,PClll with Race map,Dynojet LCD w/Techmount, ZX-14 fender eliminator,Pilot Power2CTs,Speedohealer,Pazzo Levers,Cox Radiator Guard, Garmin Nuvi 265WT

Ignore this member   
kawabunga

Expert Class
Cogswell Cogs Installed
posted January 21, 2008 05:20 PM        
I appreciate the great comments. If you cannot get the satisfaction you are deserving of contact me and I will make the arrangements. Thanks again.
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 15000 Mile Service NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.610707998276 seconds processing time