HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 16T Sprockets are in! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
zx1kr

Pro
posted October 06, 2006 07:54 AM        Edited By: zx1kr on 6 Oct 2006 08:56
16T Sprockets are in!

Just figured I'd get a post up letting the board Know that I have a few 16T Front Sprockets in.
I also have Vortex 42 & 43T Rear Sprockets as well!
I also have the Speedohealers in w/ & w/o the remote Top Speed Recall button.

Just go to the website for contact info.

Thanks,
Bill

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted October 06, 2006 08:19 AM        
Just emailed you Bill.
  Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted October 06, 2006 12:35 PM        
Mine are on the way from Bill now with the SH too!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FastestBusaAround's homepage. 
ninja14

Pro
posted October 06, 2006 12:54 PM        
Been running 16/43 and it makes for very interesting street launches..........
You gear indicator won't be working properly though...........

Ignore this member   
FasterThanStink

Pro
posted October 06, 2006 12:59 PM        
quote:

?? What happens with the gear indicator? I wouldn't think a sprocket change should affect it.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FasterThanStink's homepage. 
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted October 06, 2006 01:28 PM        
quote:
quote:

?? What happens with the gear indicator? I wouldn't think a sprocket change should affect it.

+1

??????????????

Ignore this member   
ninja14

Pro
posted October 06, 2006 04:35 PM        
The speedohealer does it.............which you will want to be using. The altered sensor input makes the ECU command the wrong gear to the dashboard.....because it "thinks" it is in a diff gear based on calculations.
  Ignore this member   
TJ

Zone Head
posted October 06, 2006 05:16 PM        
I have a speedohealer and my bike (16/41) displays the correct gear. In fact, my gear indicator works when the bike isn't even moving. How can gearing make a difference?
  Ignore this member   
FasterThanStink

Pro
posted October 06, 2006 06:17 PM        
quote:
I have a speedohealer and my bike (16/41) displays the correct gear. In fact, my gear indicator works when the bike isn't even moving. How can gearing make a difference?

+1 Somethings wrong with your setup dude.:P

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FasterThanStink's homepage. 
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted October 06, 2006 06:35 PM        
No...he's right...my stock gears with no speedo healer does the same thing...and all other 14's I've tried do it as well, but you have to really pay attention to the indicator to see it happen. They use mathematics to calculate the gear position...through speed and RPM. All 14's will exhibit this strange behavior. Pull the clutch and blip the throttle in any gear and watch the indicator drop a gear...try it.

zx1kr

Pro
posted October 06, 2006 06:43 PM        
FBA, they sent me the 16's & no 43's. They called me & said they forgot to pack'em. They will be in tuesday (the 43s).

Ignore this member   
TJ

Zone Head
posted October 06, 2006 09:26 PM        
quote:
No...he's right...my stock gears with no speedo healer does the same thing...and all other 14's I've tried do it as well, but you have to really pay attention to the indicator to see it happen. They use mathematics to calculate the gear position...through speed and RPM. All 14's will exhibit this strange behavior. Pull the clutch and blip the throttle in any gear and watch the indicator drop a gear...try it.

No math involved. My gear indicator works at idle with the bike stationary. Any ideas why?

Ignore this member   
ninja14

Pro
posted October 06, 2006 11:22 PM        
Yes math.........learn the schematic before you argue.
If you go far away enough from stock it will present. 16/41 won't do it. I am at 16/43 and have to use about 16% correction....more than enough to throw the ECU off. One wire from the GPR goes to the ECU and then it commands the indicator on the dash.

Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted October 07, 2006 01:56 AM        
quote:
quote:

No math involved. My gear indicator works at idle with the bike stationary. Any ideas why?

Intended bad, or good design? Don't know...but try what I said...as a few others are saying...gears do make a difference. The system is buggy for sure...

TJ

Zone Head
posted October 07, 2006 07:34 AM        
quote:
Yes math.........learn the schematic before you argue.
If you go far away enough from stock it will present. 16/41 won't do it. I am at 16/43 and have to use about 16% correction....more than enough to throw the ECU off. One wire from the GPR goes to the ECU and then it commands the indicator on the dash.

I have two thoughts...

1) Arguements need no basis on the interweb. If we all "learn[ed] the schematic", this would be a discussion

2) Try shifting your bike while parked and running at idle. If the GPI runs off speed/RPM math, how is the ECU thrown off at idle and parked?

Ignore this member   
ninja14

Pro
posted October 07, 2006 10:12 AM        
I did not say it runs based on speed. The connections between the GPS, the ECU, the speed sensor and the dash do NOT reaveal its true method of function. We can see that it does NOT function directly with some simple method such as switches.....etc. All that is left is some math being used based on collective input to determine what gear it is in. I was not trying to argue .......but I did learn what can be learned from the service manual and public experiances with the bike and this circuit so I would kinda know what I am talking about.......and I am stating a fact when saying the indicator will be off if you get the correction factor up far enough w/ the speeedohealer.
  Ignore this member   
TJ

Zone Head
posted October 07, 2006 10:27 AM        
Gearing and speedohealers are both related to speed/RPM. If speed has nothing to do with the gear indicator (works fine with the bike parked), why would gearing or the Speedohealer change anything?

I don't have the answer. I am just pointing out gearing can't make a difference if the GPI works with the bike parked and the gears are not even moving. I doubt the SpeedoHealer makes a difference if the GPI works fine at 0 MPH.

Maybe the ECU self corrects at speed using an algorithm that compares speed and RPM. Maybe someone with the "problem" can see if their GPI is correct when parked.

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted October 07, 2006 10:28 AM        
does 16/ 42 correction threw it off ?
stock is out by about 6% right?

16/41 is another 6% gearing = 12% total

16/42 is another 2% gearing = 14% total

16/42 is 11% gearing and 6% correction is 18% total.

Ignore this member   
ninja14

Pro
posted October 07, 2006 10:57 AM        
TJ - you did not understand my post........

The speedohealer modifies the signal sent to the ECU - the ECU commands the position indicator (as well as speedo). Also it only throws it off for 4/5/6 - 1/2/3 work normal at this %.........I mentioned this in a diff thread and should have added it here.

Ignore this member   
ninja14

Pro
posted October 07, 2006 11:00 AM        
I have not tried other % - I went from 16T w/o healer to 16/43 with. I have been told that 13% is enough to screw it up.......
  Ignore this member   
TJ

Zone Head
posted October 07, 2006 11:09 AM        
I am at 13% correction (7% speedo error & 6% for the 16T countershaft sprocket) and everything works fine.
  Ignore this member   
ninja14

Pro
posted October 07, 2006 07:59 PM        
OK.....so it takes a little more %.

And if anyone has been able to shift past 1st w/o the bike moving may want to have the trans checked out.....I should not go in any other than N and 1 while not rolling.

Ignore this member   
TJ

Zone Head
posted October 07, 2006 08:03 PM        
quote:

And if anyone has been able to shift past 1st w/o the bike moving may want to have the trans checked out.....I should not go in any other than N and 1 while not rolling.

Come to a stop in 6th gear and shift away.

Ignore this member   
ninja14

Pro
posted October 07, 2006 09:07 PM        
quote:
quote:

Come to a stop in 6th gear and shift away.

ah-ha!............guess that would work - I am just used to proper shifting. I will try to remember to make that mistake on purpose tomorrow - just to see what it shows. It will not really matter because that is not something encountered while shifting properly.........and the indicator will still go to the same display once I roll again.

Ignore this member   
TJ

Zone Head
posted October 07, 2006 09:35 PM        
quote:
ah-ha!............guess that would work - I am just used to proper shifting. I will try to remember to make that mistake on purpose tomorrow - just to see what it shows. It will not really matter because that is not something encountered while shifting properly.........and the indicator will still go to the same display once I roll again.

Obviously, you don't have to stop in 6th. You can stop in any gear you want (above 1st) and shift around

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 16T Sprockets are in! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.21019005775452 seconds processing time