HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Any news of ZX14 with ABS for '07? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Mechanic

Novice Class
posted August 21, 2006 11:32 AM        
Any news of ZX14 with ABS for '07?

I did try a search first, maybe someone can redirect me if this has already been covered.
You can see that the brake caliper mounts already have provision for a sender cast in. Hopefully 2007.
In general, it seems that dealers and distributors are not too interested in ABS bikes as they "don't sell". It's been my experience that THEY don't try to sell what is a very valuable safety feature. (Chicken / Egg)
A couple of sales people I've spoken to actually tried to discourage me from having ABS. What don't they understand!

Ignore this member   
zerMATT

Pro
posted August 21, 2006 12:06 PM        
I don't think there has been any official word from KHI/KMC yet. And yes, there are sending unit provisions because the non-US 14's already have ABS as an option. We'll probably just have to wait and see what Kawasaki announces officially for 2007...

Ignore this member   
sands

Expert Class
posted August 21, 2006 02:16 PM        
I don't see why any experienced rider would really want ABS

Ignore this member   
Mechanic

Novice Class
posted August 21, 2006 02:36 PM        
quote:

Right
I just fell out the Banana tree

Ignore this member   
CrotchRocket

Bracket Racing with Betsy
posted August 21, 2006 02:43 PM        
You know what would be awesome...

Kawasaki releasing the 2007 ZX14 info in october and the Candy Thunder Blue is back with matching blue rims and of course a few updates to make the bottom end a little more responsive and 5 more HorsePower would be perfect

*****DragRacers do it better, because they dont cut Corners*****

Ignore this member    Click here to visit CrotchRocket's homepage. 
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted August 21, 2006 02:52 PM        
quote:

Well....experienced or not, many experienced riders could benefit from ABS...not all "experienced" riders are great on brakes in a panic. Panic stops are not practiced often enough as many of us believe that we can beat the odds or that "it will not happen to us"...but I think you'd be surprised at how few people can actually beat those odds. I'm not saying that I would take that option, but it would be nice to have it and one day, it'll be standard equipment. I would however, buy linked brakes if that were an option, or rear ABS brakes even with or without linked brakes.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FastestBusaAround's homepage. 
swft

Needs a life
Full throttle!
posted August 21, 2006 05:51 PM        
BMW offers both ABS and traction control in their new 1200GT.
82 Gpz750, 84 Ninja 900, 2000 ZX12R (Muzzy Big Bore Kit), *another* 2000 ZX12R (Muzzy custom stroke crank 1341cc motor), 2004 ZZR1200, 2005 ZX10R, 2007 ZX14, 2008 Concours 14, 2014 Versys 650, 2014 Yamaha WR450F, 2015 Ninja H2

Ignore this member   
Mechanic

Novice Class
posted August 21, 2006 06:47 PM        
BMW offers ABS on all their bikes...unfortunately they don't appear on my radar.
I currently own a Blackbird - smooooth & competent.
Reports of the ZX14's smoothness are what interested me, but the next bike has to have ABS as my mere 38 years riding experience aren't enough to make me think it's not a valuable safety enhancement.
Assuming any of the following appear in 2007 the shortlist is:
DL1000, Varadero, VFR1+00, CBR1+00XX, ZX14 GSXR1+00,.
God help me if they all appear with ABS, I'll have to draw straws!

Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted August 21, 2006 07:25 PM        
Don't count on any litre bikes appearing with ABS...they're not about that.

Mechanic

Novice Class
posted August 21, 2006 09:01 PM        
I hope you're wrong.
A couple of years ago I'm sure I read that all Honda's would be available with ABS over the next few years.

Ignore this member   
Hannula

Novice Class
posted August 24, 2006 04:21 AM        Edited By: Hannula on 24 Aug 2006 06:00
quote:

After some 7000 miles with my ABS'd 14 and 20 000 or so miles with a VFR ABS, I could list a few good reasons to put some money on the ABS, but according to what I've seen on other forums, it would be just as useful as going into church and shout: "Hey, it's all scam!!"

Ignore this member   
Mechanic

Novice Class
posted August 24, 2006 10:54 AM        
Those people that don't think it's of value, really don't understand what it offers (and overestimate their own ability).

Like crash helmets and seatbelts, there are arguments that in certain specific circumstances it would not be desirable, but the percentage of occasions that this is true is extremely small compared to the times it can save you.

Ignore this member   
zerMATT

Pro
posted August 24, 2006 11:17 AM        
For a track bike (which I don't do), I wouldn't want ABS. For a street bike where you never know if some gravel might be lurking around the corner, or when it might start raining and you're on greasy city interstates, I want ABS. Had it been an option on the '06 ZX-14, I would have purchased it.

How many people out there actually practice *threshold braking* on your street bike? Unless your name is Nicky, Valentino, or similar, you aren't even approacing lockup during your "high performance" riding. You wouldn't even know that you had ABS until you were in a true panic or slick road condition.

Ignore this member   
Tool Man

Needs a job
posted August 24, 2006 11:21 AM        
I think all things new and inexperienced by any person are looked at with a sly eye. I have ABS on my F250 and on my wife's Exterra. They work great in many situations.

BUT not all!!

Until I have had time to play with an ABS system on a sport bike I will not indorse them. I practice hard (emergency) braking often I can LOCK the front wheel laying down pretty long skid mark (depending on speed) and recover as long as I am traveling in a straight line. With practice and proper weight transfer that should never happen but I figure it does not hurt to practice recovery from a panic skid. Unless I fall down doing it :P

Ignore this member   
Mechanic

Novice Class
posted August 24, 2006 07:07 PM        
..& when your front wheel is locked you're no longer stopping as fast as you can!

Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted August 24, 2006 07:53 PM        
quote:
I hope you're wrong.
A couple of years ago I'm sure I read that all Honda's would be available with ABS over the next few years.

And are they now?...I can think of least a dozen models that aren't...

fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted August 24, 2006 07:56 PM        
quote:
Those people that don't think it's of value, really don't understand what it offers (and overestimate their own ability).

Like crash helmets and seatbelts, there are arguments that in certain specific circumstances it would not be desirable, but the percentage of occasions that this is true is extremely small compared to the times it can save you.

FYI....many studies over the years have shown that cars equipped with ABS have no significant advantage over non-ABS equipped cars...about the same amount of damage and accidents in both cases...

Mechanic

Novice Class
posted August 24, 2006 08:49 PM        
Yes I've seen that study. I thought this was a bike forum. Bikes respond differently with locked wheels.
Really, it's not a valid comparison.
I don't expect that we'll all agree on their value. I started this thread to find out if anyone knew whether we'll be getting that option.
Regrettably with the prevailing view I'm finding on this and other forums (and even bike dealers), it's going to be years before the importers see the N.American market as a place where they can sell this option.

One day, we'll all wonder why we ever rode without.

Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted August 25, 2006 04:06 AM        
Funny...I thought it was a bike forum too...but I wouldn't count on that option being widely available on all bikes anytime soon...problem being that many riders don't want them and it's an expensive option, usually reserved for couch bike touring or sport touring models...(people with less of an over-ego)

Jury may still be out on whether or not ABS on bikes actually helps most bike/riders in preventing or lessening accidents and injuries. Personally, I don't think I don't want it on any of my sportbikes and my Road King doesn't need it, as you basically have no brakes to begin with on those bikes, so locking them up would be tough at best.:P

Mechanic

Novice Class
posted August 25, 2006 06:30 AM        
I don't have any problems with peoples preferences. But the contention that it is not a valuable safety option is just plain wrong. The jury is not out, only people who don't understand the system are undecided perhaps.
As for cost - many riders immediately drop the cost of a replacement "performance" exhaust as soon as they get a new bike; a similar $ number.
Cost is an issue if you don't understand what you're really buying.
I say let's have the option.

Ignore this member   
cls

Expert Class
posted August 25, 2006 12:19 PM        
I understand your logic, but it's incorrect. I, for one, do understand what ABS is about, and what a safety advantage it is. Undoubtedly, in my mind, it offers superior ability to most every rider in that "once in a while situation." However, I still don't want it. I don't ride motorcycles w/my primary objective being safety. I don't want to spend the extra money; have the extra complexity; or have the extra weight of ABS. Not having it is an ultimate safety downgrade, I fully understand. I still don't want it. That's not arrogance or stupidity. That's just my choice. I would like to see it as an option, though. It offers additional safety to those who want it, and most value those options.
  Ignore this member   
Xtremespeed

Expert Class
posted August 25, 2006 08:00 PM        
I think a lot of people don't realize this one simple thing. ABS on a bike or car either one, is not intended to help you stop quicker, but to assist you in maintaining better control of the vehicle during braking. I can see why some would want it and some would not. I think it should be an option so everyone gets what they want, especially on a bike that already has it in other countries.
  Ignore this member   
sands

Expert Class
posted August 26, 2006 12:40 AM        Edited By: sands on 26 Aug 2006 01:41
I agree...Just as long as ABS remains as an option and not something that becomes mandatory...Personally I wouldn't want it but it might be a good idea for those that do...

Ignore this member   
lucky14

Pro
posted August 26, 2006 05:11 AM        
quote:
I agree...Just as long as ABS remains as an option and not something that becomes mandatory...Personally I wouldn't want it but it might be a good idea for those that do...

I agree, but don't forget how these things usually go when the Feds get involved.

Also, remember that you will pay more for insurance once it is available and you opt out.

If you extend the logic of being on a "safe" motorcycle (an oxymoron?) then front, rear, and side airbags should be an option.

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted August 26, 2006 06:11 PM        
quote:

FYI....many studies over the years have shown that cars equipped with ABS have no significant advantage over non-ABS equipped cars...about the same amount of damage and accidents in both cases...

+1

I have read similar studies regarding ABS as well. If I'd have wanted a cruiser, or long distance bike, I'd have purchased a beamer anyway.

My thoughts on ABS (and luggage/stereo/handwarmers) for a ZX14:
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Any news of ZX14 with ABS for \'07? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.22441816329956 seconds processing time