HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: How do you tighten mirror arm? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
SoCal ZX-14 Rider

Expert Class
posted August 14, 2006 07:32 AM        
How do you tighten mirror arm?

Anyone know how to tighten the mirror arm at the swivel point at the fairing?

My left mirror moves in at high speed and I have to continually push it back out about an inch. I'm thinking this will get looser as it keeps working back and forth. I looked at the base of the arm where it connects to the fairing and I can't tell if there is a plug that can be removed to expose a screw to tighten it or not, if there is the plug it fits so clean it looks like you would knerl it up trying to dig it out. I would hate to try to dig out a plug and find out there wasn't one. I went to the dealer to get a manual and he said it was $75 and backordered indefinitly and he didn't know how to tighten it or even if you could.

The answer is not "go slower", tried - can't do it!

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted August 14, 2006 09:11 AM        
I do know either but mine seems to be doing the same thing ... anyone got an anwser??

Ignore this member   
swft

Needs a life
Full throttle!
posted August 14, 2006 10:13 AM        
What's behind you is not important!
82 Gpz750, 84 Ninja 900, 2000 ZX12R (Muzzy Big Bore Kit), *another* 2000 ZX12R (Muzzy custom stroke crank 1341cc motor), 2004 ZZR1200, 2005 ZX10R, 2007 ZX14, 2008 Concours 14, 2014 Versys 650, 2014 Yamaha WR450F, 2015 Ninja H2

Ignore this member   
SoCal ZX-14 Rider

Expert Class
posted August 14, 2006 10:23 AM        
Unless its two motorcops with bad intentions!

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted August 14, 2006 01:01 PM        
I haven't had that prob with my mirrors, and according to a friends GPS on his 'busa we went across the long bridge at "top speed = 164"
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
SoCal ZX-14 Rider

Expert Class
posted August 15, 2006 12:53 AM        
It just started in the last 2000 miles. I have 7000 on mine, bought it in April.

Ignore this member   
zerMATT

Pro
posted August 15, 2006 12:55 AM        
I was wondering how long that tension was going to last. Mine are ok now, but I see this problem coming.

We all know that those mirrors didn't *grow* there, so there must be some way to adjust tension. Is this the first Kawasaki with that design of mirror? Does someone have a service manual that can look this up for us?

Ignore this member   
Denver zx 14

Novice Class
posted August 15, 2006 02:07 AM        Edited By: Denver zx 14 on 15 Aug 2006 10:11
Section 15-8 of the service manual shows an exploded view of the fairings. The mirrors come off with the swivel intact. I held an inspection mirror under the swivel point on my mirror and there appears to be a bolt with blue lok-tite on the threads. If you dig out the plug and couldn't find a replacement, perhaps you could carefully apply black silicone and smooth out the top to make a plug. If Kawasaki can't tighten the mirror, they should warranty it.
  Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted August 15, 2006 02:15 AM        
I believe you fix that arm by using your "warranty".

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
zerMATT

Pro
posted August 15, 2006 03:53 AM        
quote:
I believe you fix that arm by using your "warranty".
Good point, but that only works if you have competant dealers that you feel comfortable leaving your bike with...

Ignore this member   
SoCal ZX-14 Rider

Expert Class
posted August 15, 2006 04:00 AM        
quote:
Section 15-8 of the service manual shows an exploded view of the fairings. The mirrors come off with the swivel intact. I held an inspection mirror under the swivel point on my mirror and there appears to be a bolt with blue lok-tite on the threads. If you dig out the plug and couldn't find a replacement, perhaps you could carefully apply black silicone and smooth out the top to make a plug. If Kawasaki can't tighten the mirror, they should warranty it.

OMG, I looked there before and didn't see the bolt, how blind am I?
When the dealer mechanic told me they didn't know how to tighten it, I ASSUMED there wasn't a way to do it.
I just looked and there is clearly a threaded bolt with loktite on it.
I feel stupid.
Sorry for wasting everyone time, thanks for being "more aware" than I.

Ignore this member   
swft

Needs a life
Full throttle!
posted August 15, 2006 04:03 AM        
Good to go!
82 Gpz750, 84 Ninja 900, 2000 ZX12R (Muzzy Big Bore Kit), *another* 2000 ZX12R (Muzzy custom stroke crank 1341cc motor), 2004 ZZR1200, 2005 ZX10R, 2007 ZX14, 2008 Concours 14, 2014 Versys 650, 2014 Yamaha WR450F, 2015 Ninja H2

Ignore this member   
zerMATT

Pro
posted August 15, 2006 04:32 AM        

Ignore this member   
ZREXER

Expert Class
posted August 15, 2006 06:50 AM        Edited By: ZREXER on 15 Aug 2006 15:05
They are designed to fold back at high speeds so there is less drag........................!!

The sad fact is that dealers typically will know less about your bike than you will. The 'skilled mechanic' that will work on your bike is an 18 year old kid who really does not give a shit about what he is doing, only that he wants to get it done quickly so he max out his 'flat rate' charges.

Ignore this member   
zerMATT

Pro
posted August 15, 2006 08:18 AM        
quote:
They are designed to fold back at high speeds so there is less drag........................!!

The sad fact is that dealers typically will know less about your bike than you will. The 'skilled mechanic' that will work on your bike is an 18 year old kid who really does not give a shit about what he is doing, only that he wants to get it done quickly so he max out his 'flat rate' charges.
Exactly! And that "kid" left my oil drain plug loose on the *only* time that I ever took a motorcycle in for service (which was my ZRX over 6 years ago).

Ignore this member   
SoCal ZX-14 Rider

Expert Class
posted August 16, 2006 09:31 AM        
I retract my last statement that looking under the swivel point shows you a screw you can tighten! Again not paying attention to detail.

Ok - just tightened the left mirror!!!!!!

At the top of the pivot bolt there is a black rubber disk about 2mm thick, you have to take the smallest flat blade screwdriver in existence and gently pry it up. It has adhesive on it to stick it to the hex bolt it protects so it comes up easy but if you distort it while prying, it doesn't look original when you re-stick it when done.

tighten bolt with a 6mm hex wrench.

I had to tighten mine a full turn and it was bending my hex wrench while I did it, thought wrench might break but it didn't. Locktite was working here. Maybe heat to turn it easier. I just use brute force.

All done, put rubber plug back in.

Ignore this member   
chez

Expert Class
posted August 16, 2006 09:47 AM        
loctite......um spot weld?

Ignore this member    Click here to send Chez an AIM message. 
SoCal ZX-14 Rider

Expert Class
posted August 16, 2006 11:24 PM        
Blue locktite! Its threaded.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: How do you tighten mirror arm? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.2416820526123 seconds processing time