HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Tires/Tyres Any Thoughts Please NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted August 07, 2006 01:54 PM        
quote:
Hell I got nearly 4500 out of the stock BT014s. Maybe I just don't twist it as hard. I just put on Pilot Powers before a nice 1200 mile weekend, and WOW is all I can say. I'm digging the stick and starting to increase my lean angles and I've already seen balling on the edges as I get further over. I LOVE em.

My type of rider...never mind the chicken strips -show me the ballin...keep it up dude!!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FastestBusaAround's homepage. 
frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted August 07, 2006 02:43 PM        
FBA, exagerate much? u being a businessman should know how danaging and wrong hyperbole is on things like this.

FYI, there is a track that uses/used? strads on their track bikes, tho even pirelli doesnt suggest they are intended for that kinda use. wish i could remember which school that was.

quote:
That's strange...the 14 isn't the 1st bike I've had with them...my last Busa had 'em also...and I got almost 6000 miles out of them compared to the 014's at only 3300-3500 or so...and I had 3 rear 014's on there before I opted for the Power's.

dude, if u'r getting 3500miles out of an 014, there is no way in hell you have need for such a sticky tire, and unless you ride thru oil patches, no way you were sliding a strada/m36 (unless it was in serious rain which woudl do in any tire). i dont' consider myself a fast ride, and i got well under 3000miles (probably closer to 2500) out of a rear 014. yet i havent had the stradas dissapoint me once, and i got 7000mils out of them. one disclaimer: i dont ride in teh rain much, and when i do i pussyfoot it around.

i simply don't like this macho BS about "everyone needs SS tires". IMHO VERY few people actually need them, especially considering just about every person i've ever ridden with who claimed to be fast got left in the dust by my slow ass. it's the same as the "don't buy a cheap helmet unless you have a cheap head" bullcrap. spending more on a helmet does not guarantee it will performbette.r i'm sure everyone has read the recent article suggesting the cheaper helmets (maybe not the walmart no-name one) are actually better.

i'll say one thing tho, all the ranting and raving about the ppowers has me wanting to give them a try, just to see for myself. wish bikeland could do one of them huge tire comparisons like Bike and other top level publications do! put this shit to rest once and for all (or once per year).

Ignore this member    Click here to visit frEEk's homepage. 
swft

Needs a life
Full throttle!
posted August 07, 2006 03:14 PM        
+1
82 Gpz750, 84 Ninja 900, 2000 ZX12R (Muzzy Big Bore Kit), *another* 2000 ZX12R (Muzzy custom stroke crank 1341cc motor), 2004 ZZR1200, 2005 ZX10R, 2007 ZX14, 2008 Concours 14, 2014 Versys 650, 2014 Yamaha WR450F, 2015 Ninja H2

Ignore this member   
Bently

Needs a life
2012 14r In Blue and no Mods!
posted August 07, 2006 03:24 PM        
Well freek I have to disagree with you, I got 3600 miles out of the stock rear. And I let a guy at my local track make 3 passes and he did 3 pretty hard burnouts, if it was not for that It would have gone 4000 miles easy. And I have somewhere around 30 passes at the track with that tire. and I do a lot of hard takeoffs on the street and a lot of 120 plus runs on the street. And I slid the stock 014. so I don't ride like a pussy, chicken strips were also gone. i experimented with diablos on my sv and hated those as they were easy to side, put powers on that bike and never had the problem after that.
  Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted August 07, 2006 03:49 PM        
quote:
FBA, exagerate much? u being a businessman should know how danaging and wrong hyperbole is on things like this.

FYI, there is a track that uses/used? strads on their track bikes, tho even pirelli doesnt suggest they are intended for that kinda use. wish i could remember which school that was.

quote:
That's strange...the 14 isn't the 1st bike I've had with them...my last Busa had 'em also...and I got almost 6000 miles out of them compared to the 014's at only 3300-3500 or so...and I had 3 rear 014's on there before I opted for the Power's.

dude, if u'r getting 3500miles out of an 014, there is no way in hell you have need for such a sticky tire, and unless you ride thru oil patches, no way you were sliding a strada/m36 (unless it was in serious rain which woudl do in any tire). i dont' consider myself a fast ride, and i got well under 3000miles (probably closer to 2500) out of a rear 014. yet i havent had the stradas dissapoint me once, and i got 7000mils out of them. one disclaimer: i dont ride in teh rain much, and when i do i pussyfoot it around.

i simply don't like this macho BS about "everyone needs SS tires". IMHO VERY few people actually need them, especially considering just about every person i've ever ridden with who claimed to be fast got left in the dust by my slow ass. it's the same as the "don't buy a cheap helmet unless you have a cheap head" bullcrap. spending more on a helmet does not guarantee it will performbette.r i'm sure everyone has read the recent article suggesting the cheaper helmets (maybe not the walmart no-name one) are actually better.

i'll say one thing tho, all the ranting and raving about the ppowers has me wanting to give them a try, just to see for myself. wish bikeland could do one of them huge tire comparisons like Bike and other top level publications do! put this shit to rest once and for all (or once per year).

Not quite sure what you mean by "exagerate much" or what exactly you're referring to...please clarify...I'm only talking from personal experience...and others here are substantiating what I said...and the other thing is -- I already had the Strada on and did a dry and a wet day...wet was absolutely scary with the Strada on the rear...on dry, well I slid a couple of times...but my decision to change it was mainly due to the horrible wet weather experience I had. Putting tires on bikes on the track...well I can understand that...but track surfaces are generally hotter and stickier than the street. Also, the testing you did with these tires was on the 12 as your big bore bike, not the 14...and they aren't the same at all. I can only tell you that on my 14, they were a total disaster -- they were inexpensive enough on that deal, so why would I buy 2 sets, install a rear and dump it a few days later? What motive would I have?

frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted August 07, 2006 03:49 PM        Edited By: frEEk on 7 Aug 2006 17:02
Bently, don't know what to say to that. obviosuly some numbers are not adding up, be it with you, with me, with others, or just the way we each evaluate things. or maybe the 14 and busa are WAY wasier on tires than the 12.
lucky14

Pro
posted August 07, 2006 03:50 PM        
I LOVED the Pilot Powers on my ZRX1200 compared to the stock BT-020's.
The ZRX is about the same weight as the 14, but of course not nearly as much power.
No doubt about the performance, but I didn't expect them to last for very long.
To my surprise, when I sold it, the tires had about 3000 miles and looked like they were about 1/2 used up.

Since I get caught in the rain more than I would like, here is what impressed me, claimed by Michelin - I never confirmed the claim!!!

"On the Michelin test track at Ladoux, France, riders were able to lean a Pilot Power-equipped bike to an amazing 41.9 degrees in corners - in full-wet conditions! In the dry, they achieved an equally remarkable 50.6-degree lean angle."

Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted August 07, 2006 03:52 PM        
PP"s have a hard center and sticky sides...though I'm still not sure what you mean I exagerated about? btw...I don't work for Michelin either...

Busa's on 14's are anything but easy on any tires...IMO

frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted August 07, 2006 04:02 PM        
quote:
Not quite sure what you mean by "exagerate much" or what exactly you're referring to...please clarify...

i'm talking about all the "they're gonan kill me" and talkin about how horrible they are. they may not (and are not intended to be) as sticky as a SS tire, and you may not like the way they feel, but that hardly makes them a horrible tire. saying they shouldnt be used on SS bikes... how many SS bike riders run at SS performance levels? that's just far too general a statement.

quote:
I'm only talking from personal experience...and others here are substantiating what I said...and the other thing is -- I already had the Strada on and did a dry and a wet day...wet was absolutely scary with the Strada on the rear...on dry, well I slid a couple of times...but my decision to change it was mainly due to the horrible wet weather experience I had. Putting tires on bikes on the track...well I can understand that...but track surfaces are generally hotter and stickier than the street.

fair enough. nobody says u (or other people) have to like them. they may well not be suited to your riding level and style or even conditions. u have a good point about temps.

quote:
Also, the testing you did with these tires was on the 12 as your big bore bike, not the 14...and they aren't the same at all.

a very important distinction of course. but i don't think i agree with them being totally different. i defintiely felt the similarities between the bikes, not that i'm an expert, well seasoned rider tho.

quote:
I can only tell you that on my 14, they were a total disaster

see what i mean about exagerations? at elast qualify it with "a total disaster for hard riding".

quote:
they were inexpensive enough on that deal, so why would I buy 2 sets, install a rear and dump it a few days later? What motive would I have?

none, and i don't mean to suggest at all that anything you are saying here is malicious or untrue.\, so no motive required. just that i dissagree with how you present and perhaps interpret your experience.

frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted August 07, 2006 04:08 PM        
do the PP also have dual compund on the front tires? the BT010s had that (to the best of my knowledge) and i really hated those. those fuckers would slide half the time if i went to do a stoppy and i partially blame them for my crash cause the front also slid under emergency braking. they're fine for normal situations of course, but IMHO any tire needs to be capable of holding a stoppie. certainly i liked the 014 better than the 010. tho i still felt they had that characteristic BT series hardness to them. felt kinda bouncy/skittery, like they wouldnt deform enough to absob small movements.i suppose this was in search of better feel, but all i felt was a sensation liek they were never gripping well. maybe that was just feel and not actuality. all i know is the stradas feel more planted and stickier than the 014s TO ME.

man, i would REALLY like to get everyone here together at a track with a dozen sets of tires at once. stop guessing and throwing around opinions and actualyl be able to get some meaningful observations. wishful thinking

blueford

Needs a job
posted August 07, 2006 04:12 PM        
Exactly FrEEk he's full of shit, anyone that says they got 3,500 miles out of 014 is smoking some funny weed or does a lot of coasting down hill.

I got maybe 2,500 out of 014s and have a Strada on the rear right now and the grip is within a hair or same to a 014.

And this is from riding in the Cal twisties.

Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted August 07, 2006 04:19 PM        
FrEEk In wet, where I had major sliding issues, I wasn't pushing it at all...so the term "Hard riding"...would not have applied there...perhaps in dry...but not in wet...I'm not the guy to rain race, like Rossi...

frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted August 07, 2006 04:29 PM        
yah, i really can't comment much on wet performance cause i havent used them in the wet much at all, and certainly never hard enough to make _anything_ slide. all i can tell you, is that 014s (or was it M1s?) work REALLY badly in the snow. i mean, talk about disaster... then again, the bike as a whole doesn't fare well in salt and gravel covered snowy roads either.
Bently

Needs a life
posted August 07, 2006 04:44 PM        
Blueford, Like I said 3600 miles out of the 14's and coulda went 4000 easy and thats alot of hard riding. Sorry to dissapoint you, you guys that get 2500 miles out of your tires must be lying down smiley face burnouts. All my bikes are rode hard, My pegs and exhuast bolt are ground off on the 14
  Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted August 07, 2006 04:44 PM        
Amen...

raptor14

Expert Class
posted August 07, 2006 05:06 PM        
Well I'm gonna get about 3000 miles outta my BT014's. I have no issue with the tire yet other than some slipage over tar strips. But every tire I've had slides over a hot tar strip when I'm leaned over. I hear you PP lovers. Probably wind up with that. But, anybody had any experience with the Metz ME3? I'm thinkin of giving it a try.
  Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted August 07, 2006 05:12 PM        
quote:
yah, i really can't comment much on wet performance cause i havent used them in the wet much at all, and certainly never hard enough to make _anything_ slide. all i can tell you, is that 014s (or was it M1s?) work REALLY badly in the snow. i mean, talk about disaster... then again, the bike as a whole doesn't fare well in salt and gravel covered snowy roads either.

Funny...mine too...'specially without chains:P

blueford

Needs a job
posted August 07, 2006 05:15 PM        
quote:
Blueford, Like I said 3600 miles out of the 14's and coulda went 4000 easy and thats alot of hard riding. Sorry to dissapoint you, you guys that get 2500 miles out of your tires must be lying down smiley face burnouts. All my bikes are rode hard, My pegs and exhuast bolt are ground off on the 14

Gee man you could have mentioned FrEEk in that too, BTW do any mountain climbing in Iowa with your bike?

Ignore this member   
Bently

Needs a life
posted August 07, 2006 05:25 PM        
you riding up mountians that don't have paved roads?
  Ignore this member   
blueford

Needs a job
posted August 07, 2006 05:39 PM        
No, but if you know physics an object weighs 2 to 5 times going up and going down a steep incline.
  Ignore this member   
zerMATT

Pro
posted August 07, 2006 06:25 PM        
quote:
anyone that says they got 3,500 miles out of 014 is smoking some funny weed or does a lot of coasting down hill.
Uh... there are several people on this list who got more than 3,500 out of their OEM 014's. What are you smoking that qualifies you to make that statement??

Ignore this member   
blueford

Needs a job
posted August 07, 2006 06:33 PM        Edited By: blueford on 7 Aug 2006 19:34
Is Texas flat? There's California and then there's everywhere else people!!!

Ask FrEEk he knows.

about the weed part.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2   ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Tires/Tyres Any Thoughts Please NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.21933507919312 seconds processing time