HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Hope For Heat NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
zx61114

Expert Class
posted June 24, 2006 07:12 PM        
Hope For Heat

This afternoon as I was riding home I hit a lot of traffic. As most know when this happened. "The Boys" become a part of the cooling process (sorry 2toGo). Today is was no warmer than any other day here in Florida.
My point, Today's ride reminded me how hot this puppy can get. As of right now I can promise those who have really hot bikes there's hope, just keep breaking her in.
My VFR's took a little time to cool off, if I remember correctly 9-12,000 miles so the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned, but there does seem to be a pattern and thus Hope.
Keeping Hope Alive
Robert

Sorry I could not resist.
Rob

Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted June 24, 2006 07:23 PM        
My wife's R1 runs very hot...especially between the legs and under the ass...this bike? It makes the R1 look like a refrigerator...

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FastestBusaAround's homepage. 
2toGo

Expert Class
posted June 24, 2006 07:32 PM        Edited By: 2toGo on 24 Jun 2006 20:34
Today was the downriver cruise in south eastern Michigan. We took the 14's. Ofcourse.
Bumper to bumper traffic for miles and miles. Mine got real hot. Blinking gauge hot. We had to get out of there before boil over. I hate it when that happens, Angry as I was about the heat I knew something had to be done about this !! When we got back to the house I checked the ethaleneglycol level in the radiator. To high ! I syphoned out about 12 oz of the mixture and replaced it with water wetter. And tighted the steering head bearings. Shimmy between 40 and 50 mph. Put it all back together went for a ride. No more shimmy, and more importantly. The temp gauge only showed 1 bar above the C. Never ran this cool. Sitting at a light it lite the next bar , light turns green I went about 1/8 mile that bar goes out back to one bar above C. This happens repetedly. Crossed fingers big ride tomorrow.

Ignore this member   
zx61114

Expert Class
posted June 24, 2006 07:42 PM        
2toGo please keep us up to date. When you say Blinking gauge Hot, could you explain exactly what you mean by this and how many miles are on this bike? Thanks
  Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted June 24, 2006 10:40 PM        
I think I will try the same 2togo, but will have to remember to check/ change coolant before parking for winter.
Wetter wetter freezes... for those who didn't know... justa heads up.

BTW, if the guage reads cooler that means more heat is dissapated more efficiently... its going somewhere... right into you body parts!

I would think the rider will not feel any cooler but the engine will thank you years down the road.

Ignore this member   
GUNNER

Needs a life
posted June 25, 2006 08:32 AM        
quote:
I think I will try the same 2togo, but will have to remember to check/ change coolant before parking for winter.

BTW, if the guage reads cooler that means more heat is dissapated more efficiently... its going somewhere... right into you body parts!

I would think the rider will not feel any cooler but the engine will thank you years down the road.

Heat the garage in the winter and forget about it.

Ignore this member   
TheVak

Expert Class
posted June 25, 2006 09:04 AM        Edited By: TheVak on 25 Jun 2006 10:10
Will try to keep this short I popped my 14's radiator out and mocked up the stock fan on the right side of the radiator and it fits perfect. The stock fan has one lead that goes into the ECU so I don't know about running them in series and or parallel with it having a 15amp fuse. I guess you could go right from the battery along with the stock fan relay to turn the two fans on together. I was going to buy a stock fan and have it done. You will need someone that is a very good alluminum welder or have two brackets made with the threded tabs.
I thought the stock fan would be like $80 it is $465 dollars for the fan and the mounting bracket lol. Oh and you get the three screws for that lmao. So why the fuck Kawi new the
exact room was on the right side and didn't give us two fans is rediculous. I would just go
get one from my friends speed shop he has a pile of them. If you wanted to do this you would only need to switch the top two brackets on the stock set up in order to make it a right side adaption. A few small adjustments and the bracket would have it in the perfect position.
I put mine back together and want to ride so this might be a winter project for me. Someone should come out with a second fan kit for the 14. You can always have two brackets with inside rubber coating made and then you would not have to have any welding done at all as it may compromise the integrity of your radiator core. They would just have to clamp over the raditor. I also think we need a new thermostat so the fans can kick in sooner.
Vak

Ignore this member    Click here to visit thevak's homepage. 
swft

Needs a life
Full throttle!
posted June 25, 2006 09:06 AM        
quote:
My wife's R1 runs very hot...especially between the legs and under the ass...

You are talking about a motorcycle, right?
82 Gpz750, 84 Ninja 900, 2000 ZX12R (Muzzy Big Bore Kit), *another* 2000 ZX12R (Muzzy custom stroke crank 1341cc motor), 2004 ZZR1200, 2005 ZX10R, 2007 ZX14, 2008 Concours 14, 2014 Versys 650, 2014 Yamaha WR450F, 2015 Ninja H2

Ignore this member   
2toGo

Expert Class
posted June 25, 2006 09:07 AM        
Blinking gauge Hot = All bars lit H blinking. I did check the mixture after starting and running the engine for about 4 minutes. Freeze point shows still good to -20. Never gets below 30 in my barn. 800 miles on mine now.
  Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted June 25, 2006 09:25 AM        
quote:
quote:
My wife's R1 runs very hot...especially between the legs and under the ass...

You are talking about a motorcycle, right?

Duhhhh....:d

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FastestBusaAround's homepage. 
TheVak

Expert Class
posted June 25, 2006 11:30 AM        Edited By: TheVak on 25 Jun 2006 12:31

Um yes my 14. If you like Busa's I just saw a sick mag with some insane Busa's
I think it was called Motorcycle something lol I forgot. But I am sure it is at your local mag
store. There is a pic of a PINK Busa I was going to post it and break your balls but I think I
have used up my ball breaking posts for like the next year. But yes I mocked that fan on my 14. Oh and in that mag was the nicest custom Busa's I have ever seen as well as this GSXR 1000 that is all stretched out the work on it is unbelievable. I guess they didn't ban me yet shows that atleast on here they let you say what you feel. So props for that who
ever runs this place!

Vak

fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted June 25, 2006 11:33 AM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 25 Jun 2006 12:34
quote:
I guess they didn't ban me yet shows that atleast on here they let you say what you feel. So props for that whoever runs this place!

Vak

that's me, fuckface.... you'd better learn to keep your trigger finger off that email button next time.

... Oh.. and an APOLOGY is owing from you.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
zx1kr

Pro
posted June 25, 2006 11:38 AM        
quote:
quote:
I guess they didn't ban me yet shows that atleast on here they let you say what you feel. So props for that whoever runs this place!

Vak

that's me, fuckface.... you'd better learn to keep your trigger finger off that email button next time.

... Oh.. and an APOLOGY is owing from you.

Wow !The Vak is REALLY GOOD at making friends around here!!!!

Ignore this member   
TheVak

Expert Class
posted June 25, 2006 01:35 PM        Edited By: TheVak on 25 Jun 2006 14:38

Lmao I guess I love to be hated and fish dude I told you once fucker I didn't
know you were the admin I don't look that close. So you either except my apology,
kick me off,or blow me which ever you feel is right.................... I also told you I will
be history soon so you will need to find someone else to play the tough guy with. I
think you already know I'm not the one. So make your choice. If I try to come here
and can't get in I am not going to pop on from my other comp just to break your balls.
I said you have a good site and I never looked to see the little Admin tag you had.
So relax. And the button thing or whatever you meant nigger please. Anyone on here
who knows me knows better. E-mail me for all my info then come see me you can post
the results here for all to see. I highly doubt your interested in that option.

I changed my mind Fuck this place and you lol.

Ban me already you hiding behind you comp
Fucking complaining cunt. Tell these people
how you went into my profile and put that stupid
message in now whos the clown.? Vak

fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted June 25, 2006 01:40 PM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 25 Jun 2006 14:41
quote:
Ban me already you hiding behind you comp
Fucking complaining cunt. Tell these people
how you went into my profile and put that stupid
message in now whos the clown.? Vak

Are you a moron?

Seriously?

Can you read?

Can you read timestamps and understand when things were posted, when emails were sent?

Really...

DO you have a major fucking problem of some sort or are you just thick?

BTW.... Of course I changed your profile I can do anything and everything I want to you or your profile. You challenged me and asked me in another thread how you can possibly take me "seriously".

Now you know.

- I suggest you drop it and play nice.

zx1kr

Pro
posted June 25, 2006 01:52 PM        
Play nice Fellas'!!!

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted June 25, 2006 02:01 PM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 25 Jun 2006 15:43
zx... we expect to be treated with a basic level of respect, especially when dealing with trying to keep the site online. The last thing we needed to deal with today was Vak continously emailing us hate mail because he thought he had been banned, even though we told him the server was down and he had not been banned.

Sure, I know the world revolves around Vak, but it should be a no brainer that if you publically tell the admin to fuck off, and then further tell them that they have no power and you don't take them seriously, that there will be some sort of answer...

and yes Vak, we did receive your email apologizing, thank you, and no Vak, we were too busy trying to keep the place running so we did not email you back...

and yes Vak.. if you learned how to READ you would see that all of the responses to you were posted before you emailed us an apology.

Regardless, I suggest you bite your tongue and think carefully about your polite, positive and thankful response to this post.

Our patience has run out with you, and we have a very full plate today.

Play nice and there will be no problems.

Thanks.

zx1kr

Pro
posted June 25, 2006 02:18 PM        
Ah, I see. Didn't know the e-mail part of the story.

Vak, listen dude you gotta chill out! This is the most informative site on the net for the Bikes we love to ride! Don't ruin it for yourself! It will only be you who loses out!

Thanks Fish & thanks for clearing up that whole sig. thing. Scared me w/ that last one!

Would've made it real difficult to meet & ride w/ him next sunday if that was his sig. LOL

Ignore this member   
zx61114

Expert Class
posted June 25, 2006 05:28 PM        
Hey fish, is it possible to change my name to "HiMile14"? Lets face it ZX61114 only makes sense to me.
Thanks
Rob

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted June 25, 2006 05:34 PM        
sorry zx, we can't change user's names... the only way fer you to do that would be to start from scratch (parking attendant) ...

what's yer name mean anyways?

zerMATT

Pro
posted June 25, 2006 05:42 PM        
quote:
Water Wetter will not cause your coolant to freeze unless you remove your 50/50 mix completely and replace it with a Water Wetter / Water only mix. If you do as 2togo did by only removing a small amount of 50/50 coolant mix and replacing it with that same small amount of Water Wetter, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Ignore this member   
zx61114

Expert Class
posted June 25, 2006 06:47 PM        
quote:

what's yer name mean anyways?

ZX (I think everyone is good up to this point)
In 1993 I bought a ZX-6 then another one....The wife's. Thus
ZX6
Then in 1994 I bought a 1993 ZX 11 well here is where it gets a bit tricky.. Thus
ZX611
Now I have the 14...Thus
ZX61114.
Long story for a supid name.

I'll bet someone out there thinks I'm a very cool 92 year rider... My mouth to gods ears on that one.

Do I need to kill the name first? I tried but my email address will not allow me to re-start under a different name.
Thanks in advance
Rob (Real name because nickname makes no sense).

Ignore this member   
nabrxx

Needs a job
posted June 26, 2006 04:39 PM        
Regardless of all the "love" flying through the air...any and all insights on this fan modification is appreciated.

Ignore this member   
S A Kruz

Expert Class
posted June 27, 2006 12:39 PM        
OK, has anybody taken an actual coolant measurement to see if the display bars are really indicating an oveheating engine? This is easy to do with a infrared heat gauge aimed at the radiator. Coolant temperature and radiator jacket temperature will be very close. These infrared guns are cheap and + or - 3% accuracy.. I mean I find it hard to believe that as well sorted as this bike is, KHI let it out with an engine oveheating problem. Could be we are sweating something that is a non-issue. I mean how many 14's have you heard of boiling over? My bike has just under 500 miles on it and consistently runs at two or three bars above "C" and will go to one bar below "H" when at idle in traffic.KHI may consider this normal and not a problem. I don't know at this point. I do know that my VTX 1300 would consistently get hot at traffic stops until I ditched the catalysts with a free flowing aftemarket exhaust and switched to full synthetic oil. Cooling fan has not come on since even on a 100 degree day and noticeably less heat off the engine while stopped at a light. One thing I keep hearing is this engine is going to get hot because it is a 175 HP motor. BullSh*t.!!! This engine produces 175 HP only if you twist the throttle wide open. In sixth gear at 80 mph and 4000 rpm I bet this engine is not producing more than 20 bhp and it still is running three bars above "C". At idle it's producing just enough hp to overcome internal friction and pumping losses, a couple of horses and that is where the temperature gauge is highest. One thing I am worried about, if this thing is overheating at below 4000 rpm while I'm still breaking it in, whats going to happen if I take it to track day and run the devil out of it??

Ignore this member   
S A Kruz

Expert Class
posted June 27, 2006 12:42 PM        
Infrared temperature gun:

http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/product.asp?T1=127350&UID=200606271520372503195730

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 3 pages long: 1  2  3     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Hope For Heat NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.22586917877197 seconds processing time