HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: PITA fairing is impossible go get off NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
iflyphi

Zone Head
posted June 19, 2006 08:12 PM        
PITA fairing is impossible go get off

OMFG, I got home with all my cool parts, and the first thing I did was install the heli-bars. 5-minutes, piece of cake. So this got my confidence up. I figure I'll just whip off the lower and mid-fairing pieces and get started installing my cool muzzy exhaust. NOT!!!! I got all the screw out, including the little rivets under the lights, but that gawd damn thing will not come apart, no way, no how. I've probably not the best mechanic in the world, but I've owned about 6 sport bikes in my time, and have taken the fairing off of every one of them, not this POS!!!
So, I spent about an hour messy with it, then realized it wasn't in the cards for me, so I put it back together. Now how did I end up with two extra screws?? Oh, yea, thats right, Kawasaki always puts in extra screws somewhere.
Anyways, I give up. My next step tomorrow is to take it to a friend of mine that does this kind of thing in his garage/shop. I'm gonna take the cowards way out, throw money at it, and have somebody else install all the goodies.

Ignore this member   
swft

Needs a life
Full throttle!
posted June 19, 2006 08:27 PM        
That's a good idea. You really need to take it to someone else.
  Ignore this member   
PapaBoomBoom

Parking Attendant
posted June 19, 2006 08:37 PM        
Get the manual and read.........
  Ignore this member   
gtracing

Expert Class
posted June 19, 2006 08:41 PM        
I just took the lower fairings off(unpainted pieces) And could easily get to all the bolts with a swivel and with my hand through the side fairings to guide the swivel(bolts were not tight at all)
  Ignore this member   
FasterThanStink

Pro
posted June 19, 2006 08:42 PM        
quote:
Get the manual and read.........

+1
Yup open the manual and you will find detailed instructions. Some panels have tabs, some have snap in holders etc. RTFM!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FasterThanStink's homepage. 
marco383

Expert Class
posted June 20, 2006 03:01 AM        
I agree that the 14 fairing is the most complicated piece of crap on the planet. Like you, I've been removing sportbike fairings since the things were invented, and it appears that Kawi offered a prize for the designer that came up with the greatest number of different fasteners that could be used on one bike. Howevever, after a couple of hours of cursing and sweating, I did manage to get mine off, and I ended up with only one extra screw once it had been reinstalled..
  Ignore this member   
zxbob

Pro
posted June 20, 2006 03:16 AM        
I went thru that (kinda) on my first go-round with the fairing ........
But now, I've had it off a half dozen times .....piece of cake !

Bob

Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted June 20, 2006 03:27 AM        
I dunno Marco...seems to me that they come off pretty quick and easy...

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FastestBusaAround's homepage. 
marco383

Expert Class
posted June 20, 2006 06:08 AM        
Maybe quick and easy if you use a chain saw... If you want to see a "quick and easy" fairing, try a Ducati 916/998. About 8 Dzus fasteners and it's on the ground. Of course just about everything else about that bike sucked.
  Ignore this member   
MasterBlaster

Expert Class
posted June 20, 2006 06:12 AM        
I didnt have a problem taking them off, took off both sides, but after a couple of days it was like a jig saw puzzle putting them back on. No extra parts or screws, and nothing is flopping or fell off. Next time will be a snap......TB
  Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted June 20, 2006 06:15 AM        
I don't have any complications removing the fairing, however, that said, thy could have made it alot easier just the same
Removing the inner fairing, unbolting the upper fairing, and lowers, and the grills to get at the center panels really should not be necessary.
I looked at my friends gsxr1000, and thoygh to myself, that must be a dream to wrench on.
I like motorcycles simple, but want all the power.
Too bad Kawi didn't give us both.

Anyway,a tip for those who have not discovered the rubber insert nuts can be a real PITA.
Cut a couple of allen keys for the fairing bolts, so they can be used in the chuck of a cordless drill.
the nuts will have much less tendency to spin , and cuts fairing work to 1/4 of the time it takes to do by hand!

Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted June 20, 2006 06:26 AM        
My wifes R1 has the best system -- quick lock allen heads for the plastics...takes less than a second to remove each bolt...all bikes should be done that way...

dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted June 20, 2006 06:31 AM        
Are they like dzus fasteners?
1/4 turn !

Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted June 20, 2006 06:35 AM        
Zactly dude...

dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted June 20, 2006 06:45 AM        Edited By: dubious on 20 Jun 2006 07:57
FBA does the R1 use rubber insert nutz too,
could they be used to replace the ZX14 PITA fastners?

Ignore this member   
Mano 2

Expert Class
posted June 20, 2006 07:02 AM        
If,
1st time was frustrating. Almost always a beating for me.
I'm assuming you are talking about the funky plastic rivits still hanging on?
I finally pulled the center pin or whatever it is completely out and the rest of the fastener came out easily.
Then I just wiggled the parts, but carefully not too hard, until they came apart.
A beer mite help.

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted June 20, 2006 07:33 AM        
Take your time look closely , then look closely again, use a flashlight and look again.
Remove the bolts you missed,
lift the rear upper corner of the middle fairing up and off the the aluminum bracket, tilt entire panel out ward by lifting up the bottom edge and pulling up toward you like a deep freezer door, slide backwards 3-4 inches, then unplug the signal light!

If something feels wrong, its beacause it is!, LOOK at what is happening.
take your time and inspect the situation,

when all done, and nothing is broken......go geta good boy blow Job! LOL

As if ...!

Ignore this member   
iflyphi

Zone Head
posted June 20, 2006 11:10 AM        
Thanks guys. I used a flashlight, studied it for probably longer than I should have, and realized that I had me beat. Fricking thing is like a jigsaw puzzle. I don't have the time or patience to deal with it. I'm just too busy, so I have a friend that's going to install all the parts. Should be done by next Thursday, then I'll take it to the dyno. He works at the place that has the dyno, so I won't even ride it until it gets mapped.
I plan on posting the dyno results, and a small video of the dyno runs so guys can here how a muzzy pipe sounds.
Hoping everything will turn out pretty nice.
Parts list: Muzzy 4 into 1 pipe, powercommander, lowering links, lowering straps, swing-arm extensions set to 8" over stock, new chain(non o-ring), and longer brake line.

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted June 20, 2006 12:27 PM        
Secondary plates or not?

DO IT !
U KNOW U WAAAANA!

Ignore this member   
blitzkrieg

Needs a job
Road kill = Free lunch.
posted June 20, 2006 02:47 PM        
quote:
My wifes R1 has the best system -- quick lock allen heads for the plastics...takes less than a second to remove each bolt...all bikes should be done that way...

Yep, I can have all the plastic off my R1 in 30 seconds. Definitely well thought out.

I love my zx-12r, but the guy that designed the fastening system ought to have his nuts cut off.

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted June 20, 2006 03:02 PM        
quote:
I love my zx-12r, but the guy that designed the fastening system ought to have his nuts cut off.

take him out back with the battery tray twit and give them both a good working over

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
iflyphi

Zone Head
posted June 20, 2006 03:04 PM        
I will probably take the secondaries off, eventually. But arent you guys just a bit curious as to how much quicker the bike will be with them off????
Let me do my own testing. I figure I'm gonna need sometime at the track with the "training wheels"(flies), to keep the front end down. Once I get the launch figured out, and get a descent time, then I'll yank them off.
I didn't intend to hijack my own thread, but oh well. I still have not seen ANYBODY put there bike on the dyno with the secondaries, then yank them off and dyno the bike again. What's up with that??

Ignore this member   
CrotchRocket

Bracket Racing with Betsy
posted June 20, 2006 03:47 PM        

Ahhhh, yes...The old, Take the guy out back who designed the battery tray post

*****DragRacers do it better, because they dont cut Corners*****

Ignore this member    Click here to visit CrotchRocket's homepage. 
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: PITA fairing is impossible go get off NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.29860901832581 seconds processing time