HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Recent purchase of 1 - piece race leathers; opinions? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Ojref

Expert Class
posted June 19, 2006 06:41 PM        Edited By: Ojref on 19 Jun 2006 19:47
Recent purchase of 1 - piece race leathers; opinions?

FRANK THOMAS STRIKE-2 1-PIECE LEATHER MOTORCYCLE SUIT BLACK/RED $449.00

Let me tell you, Houston is a hell of humidity and heat. During the summer, wearing these things at night will cause you to drop 5 lbs an hour in sweat! Not to mention, in order to be properly fitted, you have to get a size that you must molt out of at the end of a session. Still, I purchased them from CycleGear this weekend, $449.00, comes with titanium on the sholders, elbows, knees and tailbone, integrated kevlar, backside neckbrace and velcro on the knees for kneesliders. I think for the price it's a hell of a deal. Not to mention you look race pouser as all hell when rolling up to your local Starbucks for coffee with your metrosexual Ducati-riding friends.

J/K, I had a close call with a drunkard on Sat. night and I decided that weekend night play warranted the need for proper gear, and I intend to survive a fall.

Ignore this member   
swft

Needs a life
Full throttle!
posted June 19, 2006 06:45 PM        
Props for buying protective gear! Lots of peeps will have opinions on what works best, but that suit is sure as hell better than nothing at all!
  Ignore this member   
FasterThanStink

Pro
posted June 19, 2006 07:06 PM        
It's better to be hot and sweaty than having your bones set and put in a cast for the summer. Good for you. While it is not the right reason, if the industry and riders would adopt the attitude that safe gear is cool then it is a step in the right direction. Whatever it takes. In my circle of riding friends anyone showing up without at least basic gear will face some good natured but serious ribbing.
It works. Several people that used to ride in sneakers have showed up in proper riding boots, or at least over the ankle footwear.
Road rash hurts. Just drink lots of water. The price for a full suit like that is fantastic. Let us know how you like it after riding with it for a while.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FasterThanStink's homepage. 
swft

Needs a life
Full throttle!
posted June 19, 2006 07:09 PM        
If you can find gear that will prevent broken limbs, let me know, I'd be interested in a set. But yes, road rash sux big time. Three years roadracing at the club level in Washington taught me all I need to know bout the protective properties of leather.
  Ignore this member   
Mano 2

Expert Class
posted June 19, 2006 07:28 PM        
My leathers exactly, even the color.
As long as I'm moving , I'm fine even at noon in 90f plus the humidity.
And I live in Houston dude.
I rode to Arkansas last week. No problem.
These are not fully perforated. Like Komodos. But they are not 2x pricewise either.
The problem with perf/full perf is when it gets below 80 at night I freeze.

Ignore this member   
BobC

Pro
posted June 19, 2006 11:44 PM        Edited By: BobC on 20 Jun 2006 00:46
Frank Thomas make good suits. Not top-of-the-range expensive but well made and durable. I have a Defender jacket that's about fifteen years old now and the hide is perfect.

....and I totally agree that it's better to be a bit sweaty rather than risk leaving your own hide spread along the highway. I makes me shudder when I see guys riding around in shorts and t-shirts. They seem to have no concept of just how flesh reacts to a slide along the roadway. Bones can usually be mended but if you lose too much flesh you are really in trouble.

2012 ZZR1400 in Golden Blazed Green
Brock CT Full System. etc
Max: 203.1 in 1 mile (so far)

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Recent purchase of 1 - piece race leathers; opinions? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.20685386657715 seconds processing time