HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: I Crashed the Blue Beauty NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
FasterThanStink

Pro
posted June 13, 2006 02:06 PM        
I Crashed the Blue Beauty

I was coming home from a ride whenI stopped to get gas. Took off, and got a couple of blocks from my house when a lady put on her brake lights. She then decided to turn left so she slowed very rapidly. I saw her and applied the front stoppers with a little too much zeal. It was almost instantaneous how fast my face slammed into the asphalt. I could not believe how fast it happened. I was just suddenly on the road face first with blood pouring out of my helmet. As you probably figured out by the fact I am typing this I was wearing my gear, helmet, boots, gloves.
I am really bummed. My dream bike that I waited so long for is a pile of shattered plastic.
1 month old.
This happened on Sunday. I just got out of the hospital. Broken right thumb, broken left ring finger, 8 stitches in my mouth and a mini basketball swelling contusion above the left knee. I am surely preaching to the converted but my Arai full face helmet saved me from having jaw and facial reconstruction. Even though I broke some fingers, the plastic pucks on the Alpinestars GP Tech gloves have serious abrasion. The cop who was on the scene said my helmet and gear saved my hide big time. He said it was refreshing to see someone wearing full gear. Around here you see many people riding with no helmets, even more without proper footwear and gloves.
Wear your gear on every ride! I was 3 blocks from my house.
I am going to the impound to see whats left of my blue beauty. I hope they can fix it. I probably won't have enough $$ if they total it. I hope they don't raise my premiums to the moon.
The irony is that I was just practicing emegency braking in an empty parking lot last week. I'm either a lousy teacher or a lousy student.
I'll see about posting the sad photos of my poor 14 later. I though this was going to be the best summer riding season ever. At least I have a large bottle of pain pills. I'll need them.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FasterThanStink's homepage. 
cls

Expert Class
posted June 13, 2006 02:10 PM        
Hate to hear it. Glad you were wearing your gear. Good luck.
  Ignore this member   
shawnski

Pro
posted June 13, 2006 02:20 PM        
man, what's up with all these accidents recently?

sorry about your misfortune.

Ignore this member   
VPN

Zone Head
posted June 13, 2006 02:28 PM        
ABS
  Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted June 13, 2006 02:42 PM        
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but at least you're ok. The bike will be fixed or replaced, but your life cannot be. You are very smart wearing gear...only fools don't. When you said you applied the brakes eagerly...does that mean you did a head over heels?

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FastestBusaAround's homepage. 
cls

Expert Class
posted June 13, 2006 02:48 PM        
The dirt riding phrase is: face-plant. Not to be cruel, under the circumstances...
  Ignore this member   
FasterThanStink

Pro
posted June 13, 2006 03:02 PM        
Yup. My bad. Face plant.

fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted June 13, 2006 03:05 PM        
My wife did that at Daytona on her R1...and the bike slammed into me while she and it went sliding past me...she got hurt too, not as badly as you, but has scars...the repairs were only about a grand or so for the plastics...no frame or tank damage....maybe you'll be lucky. Rest up and heal FTS...thank yourself that it wasn't worse and that you're still here to talk about it.

spalding12

Novice Class
posted June 13, 2006 03:10 PM        
i'm so sorry that you had this experience. thanks for talking about having all your gear on all the time.
take care of yourself.... the bike is replaceable.... you would NOT have been

good luck

Ignore this member    Click here to send spalding12 an AIM message. 
FasterThanStink

Pro
posted June 13, 2006 03:13 PM        
I'm getting a ride to the impound lot. I'm dreading seeing it. I'll post up the grisly shots later tonight.
It's not good when the insurance adjuster called and said "What did you do?!"
Maybe by the time I get my cast's off it will be fixed.
My policy did not cover safety gear! Go figure. This shoud be standard to help and encourage people to wear their gear. You would think the insurance companies would save $$ by replacing saftey gear after a crash.

swft

Needs a life
Full throttle!
posted June 13, 2006 03:14 PM        
Man, Jay Leno's gonna be pissed!

But glad you are recovering, dude...
82 Gpz750, 84 Ninja 900, 2000 ZX12R (Muzzy Big Bore Kit), *another* 2000 ZX12R (Muzzy custom stroke crank 1341cc motor), 2004 ZZR1200, 2005 ZX10R, 2007 ZX14, 2008 Concours 14, 2014 Versys 650, 2014 Yamaha WR450F, 2015 Ninja H2

Ignore this member   
spalding12

Novice Class
posted June 13, 2006 03:24 PM        
quote:
I'm getting a ride to the impound lot. I'm dreading seeing it. I'll post up the grisly shots later tonight.
It's not good when the insurance adjuster called and said "What did you do?!"
Maybe by the time I get my cast's off it will be fixed.
My policy did not cover safety gear! Go figure. This shoud be standard to help and encourage people to wear their gear. You would think the insurance companies would save $$ by replacing saftey gear after a crash.

you are 100% correct.... but, that would mean an insurance company would finally make an INTELLIGENT decision about coverage

Ignore this member    Click here to send spalding12 an AIM message. 
scificanada

Expert Class
posted June 13, 2006 03:27 PM        Edited By: scificanada on 13 Jun 2006 16:28
If she did the action that caused the accident, why will it affect your premiums?
There does not have to be a collision with another motor vehicle to make the accident liability lie on another driver.
get a copy of the Accidet report, if it is accurate and her actions preciptated the accident, yu may be getting a new ride at her insurance companies expense.
And let's not even discuss the injury issues...
After you review the accident report, you may want to look at legal action.

Don't know specific traffic law in your jurisdiction, but usually part of lane change legislation requires the action to be done safely without affecting the movement of other motor vehicles.
Yea I know her defence will be
1: "He was going so fast" Well No Radar, no independant witness with radar/Laser, or statement from you, NO speed issue.
2: "I didn't see him." Tough, here (maybe there) absolute liability issue too damn bad Mum, ya should have looked longer, better.

Good luck man, know it sucks, but as said by better than I, Plastic and metal can be replaced, you can't (unless your wife knows different )

If ya want, let me know more details about what occurred..... It's all about how YOU articulate the incident to your insurance, the Police, and a lawyer.

2006 Blue(the fastest colour) ZX14, Brock Ti Gen 3, Secondary Butterflies out, PCIII with Brock Map, Muzzy Frame Sliders.

Ignore this member   
2toGo

Expert Class
posted June 13, 2006 03:31 PM        
Stop-E ?
  Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted June 13, 2006 03:40 PM        
You could say that...or Endo....

blitzkrieg

Needs a job
Road kill = Free lunch.
posted June 13, 2006 03:57 PM        
Glad you are okay man. The bike can be fixed.

Blame it on the newness of the bike to you. I hear the 14 has some REALLY strong front binders...

Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted June 13, 2006 03:58 PM        
Yup...true dat...insane in fact.

CrotchRocket

Bracket Racing with Betsy
posted June 13, 2006 04:18 PM        
That sucks dude...It's good that your not hurt more than you are!!!...Feel better!!!

*****DragRacers do it better, because they dont cut Corners*****

Ignore this member    Click here to visit CrotchRocket's homepage. 
Blast Master

Novice Class
posted June 13, 2006 04:41 PM        
Sorry to hear about that.. I hope you have a speedy recovery. As for your bike Kawasaki make more than one, but you only have one of you. Your blessed man it could of been the other way. You'll be back in the saddle again!
  Ignore this member   
dozerdogue

Novice Class
posted June 13, 2006 04:51 PM        
Sorry to hear about your loss but at least your ok. Don't worry about the bike worry about getting better. I hope you heal quicly.
06' ZX-14 Sold
68' Nova SS 1165 HP Sold
07' SE Ultra Classic Sold
07' H-D Sprrtster Custom Sold
08' Street Glide 103hp 117/tq sold
08' Honda Goldwing
08' H-D 1200 Roadster 89rwhp Sold
09' Yamaha Vmax Race ECU
09' Kawasaki concours 14
09' H-D FXSTSSE3

Ignore this member   
Ozzy

Needs a job
need guberment cheese
posted June 13, 2006 04:52 PM        
Your homeowners should pay for your gear.

Wanna sell the engine and ecu?

Ignore this member   
zx61114

Expert Class
posted June 13, 2006 05:26 PM        
FTS, man what can I say other than I'm really glad your OK. Right now things may seem rather grim but trust me; it will be a blink of time. If I remember correctly the sore-ness of the crash won't really kick in for another week so don't freak in this happens (been there done that). I want to compliment you on the wearing of gear. I've almost logged 250,000 miles on motorcycles since day 1 and I know it can happen to me, so no skin is ever exposed when riding. I shake my head every time I see some guy with a wife-beater and shorts flying up the interstate at 90 mph. Crashing hurts, and I can afford to spend a couple of dollars on gloves that slide when I hit the ground or a helmet that fits tight but is comfy even in the heat of summer. Sorry I digress seriously get well soon.
Rob

Ignore this member   
FasterThanStink

Pro
posted June 13, 2006 05:56 PM        
Well I went and visited the bike in the impound lot. Not a pretty sight. Hopefully not totaled, frame and swingarm and engine seem fine. Just about everything else smashed to bits.

http://homepage.mac.com/davidchuba/Zx-14%20Crash/

TJ

Zone Head
posted June 13, 2006 05:59 PM        
Sell it for $9K on ebay. "Salvage" means nothing on ebay
  Ignore this member   
14black

Expert Class
posted June 13, 2006 06:02 PM        
Sorry you had to go through this! How fast were you going when this happened? What was the exact accident scenario? Take care and heal fast!
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 3 pages long: 1  2  3     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: I Crashed the Blue Beauty NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.3370680809021 seconds processing time