HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: The 2006 ZX-14 in Review - FIRST RIDE - (Long) NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Tool Man

Needs a job
posted March 05, 2006 09:13 PM        
Live and die by the sword of your own swinging. No ABS, traction control or any control that takes mine away!! 35 years riding / racing have yielded some damn good skills and on the down side a few scars. Maybe I'm just getting old? Nahh!

Ignore this member   
VPN

Zone Head
posted March 06, 2006 02:44 AM        
Maybe that ABS should have an on-off switch
Nobody - I mean nobody brakes better than ABS in a wet surface (or similar)
To me the horror is integrated brakes ala Honda!
That's why no-no to Blackbird

Does anybody know if one can simply plug the fuse of the ABS
when going to a track with that ZX-14??

Ignore this member   
fullzx12r

Zone Head
French Guy
posted March 06, 2006 03:02 AM        
quote:

Does anybody know if one can simply plug the fuse of the ABS
when going to a track with that ZX-14??

i hope........... good question !!! any one have answer ??????
zzr 1400 12'

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fullzx12r's homepage. 
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted March 06, 2006 07:55 AM        
I'm not a big fan of ABS... the only ABS vehicle I ever owned that I liked was my Audi 5000 CD Quattro Turbo .. and the ONLY reason I liked the ABS was that Audi was gracious and thoughful enough to equip the vehicle with as dash mounted switch allowing you to turn the ABS off!

I, for one, sure hope we don't get ABS on this bike in the States... the only way I could accept it would be if it was an option... so I could say no!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
zerMATT

Pro
posted March 06, 2006 08:09 AM        
Your Durango doesn't have ABS fish? My '01 R/T did... I thought it was standard. Maybe that was just a US thing. May have been rear wheels only though.. can't remember. Dodge likes to do that on their trucks (rear only).

I like ABS for most street *car* applications, but on the track it just gets in the way. I've never had ABS on a motorcycle, but if I did, it sure would be nice to be able to turn it off when the roads are dry. About the only time I'd want it would be if I got caught on a long ride in the rain... it's happened a few times.

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted March 06, 2006 08:17 AM        
durango does have ABS, and it sucks. Our subaru has ABS and it's "okay" , however lightly rippled pavement sends both systems into a tizzy and if you end up in the snow and ice you can stop shorter without the ABS. It's good for everyday driving and also wet rainsoaked streets, but not super slick or bumpy surfaces.

that's my

zerMATT

Pro
posted March 06, 2006 08:34 AM        
Oh, I missed the "that I liked" part of your initial statement

Ignore this member   
speedgene

Zone Head
posted March 06, 2006 09:22 AM        
Look for the sensor (on both wheels) near the trigger rings. Follow that wire up to the junction area/main wire harness, and disconnect. That's one way to disarm ABS. Let the program light blink, or whatever? Duct tape over the light so you're not distracted running track day.
When you reconnect, the ECM reads everything (defaulted) the light goes out, you have ABS once again. Simple enough.

An insurance claims adjuster said to me one day, "Funny thing about ABS.' 'The cars "brake straight" into a crash."

When braking with ABS (vehicles) I lift going over bumps I know. If I keep the brake on over it, I can hear, and feel the ABS unit cycling, along with the front wheels chirping on, and off. So yes, some units are very sensitive.

Last bike was a GS1100 BMW w/ABS. On the street, I came to a stop sign, and the front wheel skidded (ABS'd over pebbles) to a stop. First time I felt the ABS work, I was sold.

Hopefully, the ABS on the 14 has an ON/OFF switch like a front passenger air bag has?

Wanna trade bikes?

Ignore this member   
salsa1

Needs a life
posted March 06, 2006 10:39 AM        
Thumbs up on a good report; answered lots of questions. good job!!

Ignore this member   
frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted March 06, 2006 10:59 AM        
i agree that an on/off switch woudl be a good idea, but i'm not so opposed to ABS. it almost certainly would have avoided my last crash as i went down due to the front locking up. however i'm still not convinved that ABS could be implemented well on a motorcycle since there are only 2 wheels to observe and it is not uncommon for one to be off the ground without anything being wrong.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit frEEk's homepage. 
VPN

Zone Head
posted March 06, 2006 12:04 PM        
Look at this report:
http://www.ibmwr.org/prodreview/abstests.html

Ignore this member   
frEEK

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted March 06, 2006 01:33 PM        
VERY interesting read VPN. i dare say i think i would choose to buy the ABS option after reading that. i ain't no racer and would almost guarantee i cannot stop quicker (even in ideal conditions) that ABS.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit frEEk's homepage. 
zerMATT

Pro
posted March 06, 2006 02:14 PM        
Great read. I've ridden a few BMW's with ABS (K1200LT, GS, & GT) and have "tried" the ABS on all of them just to see what it feels like. It is a very disconnected feeling, but so is a car when you get into ABS. Even though I didn't like the feeling, I never felt like I was losing control of the bike... it was just buckin' like a bull

If I had the option, I think I would chose ABS simply for the sand/puddle factor that we all come across on occasion. It would also be nice when you get caught in a shower on a longer ride and can't just stop and wait for the shower to pass. Just gives you piece of mind I guess.

Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted March 07, 2006 12:03 AM        
Well everybody can have their opinion on ABS but the fact is that it works better than human - at least on average. And on average I don't mean average Joe but it does its work everytime - even when You are cold and wet and have ridden past 12 hours and got 3 speeding tickets on the way . And even when on some situations You can stop faster without it (like deep snow or gravel) the ABS will get You out of bad things better because You can still steer the thing and brake at the same time. One of the biggest problems on the ABS is that people don't know how to use them properly. You just have to queesh/push as hard as You can and let the system do it's job. And what I think as the next step of ABS are these traction control systems that moderns cars have. And I don't mean simple systems that just prevent tires to skid. I mean these ESP (You US guys use that word) that also control the whole car and keep it from under or oversteering. They'll the best thing You can have when something bad is going to happen. And they work faster than You can say whow! But I do think that ESP should really have an off switch (unlike Mercedes Benz cars that have on aff switch but in fact it dosen't disarm the system!). Even if You only need the of switch to have a some fun on icy roads - its white here about 5 months a Year! But there virtualy are no places when You need to deselect a ABS on a car. On a bike there are couple but very few people ride ZX10, 14 or what ever on trail and some bikes even have the off switch for the bike. I wouldn't buy a car without ABS - and nowadays it's even very had because all new cars have to have an ABS system with the for the last couple Years in EU.
  Ignore this member   
Ra12r

Zone Head
posted March 07, 2006 06:22 AM        
That was a really balanced and thourough write-up. I thought you were Red Elk at first.......

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted March 07, 2006 07:33 AM        
thanks Ra

worm~hole

Needs a life
Miles to go before I sleep....
posted March 07, 2006 09:18 AM        
....thanks, tuusinii...I think I would like to have ABS on mine when it become available in the US....I need all the help I can get

-George Orwell

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted March 07, 2006 06:49 PM        
no ABS for me please and thank-you!

CrotchRocket

Bracket Racing with Betsy
posted March 07, 2006 07:18 PM        
Why not Fish???

*****DragRacers do it better, because they dont cut Corners*****

Ignore this member    Click here to visit CrotchRocket's homepage. 
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted March 07, 2006 09:14 PM        
last thing I need is fer ABS to leave me high and dry like it has on every vehicle I've owned. Save it fer an SUV...

ninja rider

Novice Class
posted March 07, 2006 11:08 PM        
In Germany, they ran a serious test on the braking performance of motorcycles with and without ABS. The results were astonishing and it definitely proved that a vast majority of the riders (including track day regulars) could brake a lot faster in both wet and dry conditions when the bike was equipped with ABS. Only high level racers could brake marginally faster in dry conditions w/o ABS.
As much as we like to believe it, we are not Valentino Rossi nor Nicky Haden, and for most of us ABS does improve our braking.
Do we really need it? Do I want one? I think that's personal (I don't have it on my bikes) but we can't deny that it has advantages.

NR

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted March 08, 2006 06:23 PM        
Personally I'm not a fan of ABS. Sorry.

ninja rider

Novice Class
posted March 08, 2006 10:57 PM        
quote:
Personally I'm not a fan of ABS. Sorry.

Don't be, neither am I, but these are the bare facts

Greetz

Ninja Rider

Ignore this member   
VPN

Zone Head
posted March 09, 2006 03:10 AM        
quote:
In Germany, they ran a serious test on the braking performance of motorcycles with and without ABS. The results were astonishing and it definitely proved that a vast majority of the riders (including track day regulars) could brake a lot faster in both wet and dry conditions when the bike was equipped with ABS. Only high level racers could brake marginally faster in dry conditions w/o ABS.

Any URL? Where did you get that info?

Ignore this member   
ninja rider

Novice Class
posted March 09, 2006 05:03 AM        
quote:
quote:

Any URL? Where did you get that info?

Motorrad and/or its sister magazine PS, they ran the test. I didn't keep a copy. Should check with them for furthrer info.

NR

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 6 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5  6     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: The 2006 ZX-14 in Review - FIRST RIDE - (Long) NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.22735595703125 seconds processing time