HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: ZX-14 AIR BOX MOD...WOW!!!!!!!!!! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
kcadby

Pro
posted February 18, 2006 04:58 PM        
D...
actually...you WILL pick-up power by taking the AirFilter out of a ZX10...LOL...
Seriously...I have seen DONE it on the dyno here at work

Ignore this member    Click here to visit kcadby's homepage. 
mwrzx12

Expert Class
posted February 18, 2006 06:44 PM        
You have all seen pictures of the extended 14 with the Muzzy pipe....
wanna guess what city/state it is located in?

Ignore this member   
MadMike

FEAR THE BLACK FLAG!!!!!!!!
posted February 18, 2006 07:46 PM        
hmmm.. I wonder if it could be Coby Adams shop... in NC....

Ignore this member    Click here to visit MadMike's homepage. 
speedgene

Zone Head
posted February 18, 2006 09:43 PM        Edited By: speedgene on 18 Feb 2006 22:28
You know what D? Fuck the search for those Madonna Material Girl Titty Covers. I'll open my 14 shop manual soon, and read up on it later. There's enough talent to correct me on these points, but I believe as suspected, removing the Tampon gives the vaginal opening one continuous unobstructed sound wave through, and bumping into the cervical crypt, through the uterine cavity, apexing around the (physics-the maximum displacement of a periodic wave) ampulla, and then waiting (as an orifice does) at the fimbriae. Nice to see the ECM is mapped for it too. I swear, this bike gets me so hot, I could park this 14 in a restaurant, and start pounding from across the next booth.

(I expect act of shunning soon... don't worry, I'm used to it)

So when you think...another 28 days?

Ignore this member   
bugsey

Novice Class
posted February 19, 2006 11:14 AM        Edited By: bugsey on 19 Feb 2006 11:15
I think from what I've read here and on other boards that the 14 is jetted too rich...the fig I saw was 11:1....but by taking out the airfilter...is able to lean it out ...and get closer to that magical 14.8:1 (stoichimetric mixture)...where as maximum power is achieved at somewhat richer than correct mixture 12-13:1. I may be wrong, but my guess is that the preproduction units are too rich.
  Ignore this member   
drowland

Zone Head
posted February 19, 2006 05:20 PM        
Thanks Bugsey thats what I read as well. I suppose BMC race filter will do that proably. I thought it was like 6rwhp? So looks like there will be a shit load of Hp we will be getting with a full system and Powercomander...
  Ignore this member    Click here to send Drowland an AIM message. 
D

Needs a job
posted February 20, 2006 07:31 AM        
quote:
D...
actually...you WILL pick-up power by taking the AirFilter out of a ZX10...LOL...
Seriously...I have seen DONE it on the dyno here at work

I'm sure it'll free up a coupla hp but 10+????

Ignore this member   
D

Needs a job
posted February 20, 2006 07:31 AM        
quote:
You know what D? Fuck the search for those Madonna Material Girl Titty Covers. I'll open my 14 shop manual soon, and read up on it later. There's enough talent to correct me on these points, but I believe as suspected, removing the Tampon gives the vaginal opening one continuous unobstructed sound wave through, and bumping into the cervical crypt, through the uterine cavity, apexing around the (physics-the maximum displacement of a periodic wave) ampulla, and then waiting (as an orifice does) at the fimbriae. Nice to see the ECM is mapped for it too. I swear, this bike gets me so hot, I could park this 14 in a restaurant, and start pounding from across the next booth.

(I expect act of shunning soon... don't worry, I'm used to it)

So when you think...another 28 days?

Did you bring a lunch or walk?

Ignore this member   
trenace

Needs a job
posted February 20, 2006 02:37 PM        Edited By: trenace on 20 Feb 2006 14:40
And since when is 14.7 (or, the stated value of 14.8) to 1 the air/fuel ratio giving the most power?

However the general point that if the ECU is giving so much fuel as to be 11 to 1 at full throttle at peak hp rpm, then if further airflow could be achieved one would get more power, is true.

Exactly why to expect such a bad air filter as to cost 10 hp though, seems hard to imagine. Did they hire a really dumb guy in that department?

Ignore this member   
bugsey

Novice Class
posted February 20, 2006 06:28 PM        Edited By: bugsey on 20 Feb 2006 18:30
The "stoichimetric mixture" refers to an ideal a/f mixture where every fuel molecule is completely burned....all hydrogen and carbon atoms finding just enough oxygen for complete combustion. It is a theoretical condition that is not easily obtained as gasoline is not a pure substance......but for the sake of this post 14.8:1 produces max economy or more of a cruzing mixture.
Maxium power is achieved at with a somewhat richer than correct mixture in the 12-13:1 range. The extra fuel gives the combustion gas a slighly larger specific volume, based upon a larger number of reaction product molecules.
Adding more extra fuel than this reduces power.
Who know's, maybe the airfilter is the culprit here (if there is a culprit) being too restrictive

Ignore this member   
MadMike

FEAR THE BLACK FLAG!!!!!!!!
posted February 21, 2006 07:31 AM        
I always thought the leaner you can go the more power you can produce? no the richer you go?

Ignore this member    Click here to visit MadMike's homepage. 
TopShelf

Novice Class
E-Tard
posted February 21, 2006 09:21 AM        
Directly from Dynojet!

We normally tune a normally aspirated bike to around 13.2:1. This can vary slightly for different applications but normally you will be around 12.8:1-13.5:1. For a turbo or supercharged application you will be around 12.0:1. Stoichiometric is 14.7:1 which is normally what a closed loop system will run at.

Ignore this member   
speedgene

Zone Head
posted February 21, 2006 10:01 AM        
no 02 sensor on a 14 as with BMW bikes. is it because khi knows a pipe change is first thing to go? i'll take a closed loop system.

you know how a lawnmower peaks in rpm just before it runs out of gas and stops? i'll take that mapping thanks.

Ignore this member   
dcjens

Pro
Wet side of Washington
posted February 07, 2011 09:19 PM        
quote:
holy shit, I want to know more....a stock 14 dynos in at 169 and with just this airbox mod it brings power up into the 180's with stock exhaust!!!! wow! who can tell me what this mod entails to make these incredible power gains? Imagine how much more power we can get with a full system!!!!!!!!

Ignore this member   
dcjens

Pro
Wet side of Washington
posted February 07, 2011 09:20 PM        
fish on!

Ignore this member   
TH1RT3EN

Zone Head
Trial And Error Control
posted February 08, 2011 07:22 AM        

When I was a kid i used to........... Wait I Still Do That!

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted February 08, 2011 10:05 AM        
wow i didn't comment

Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted February 08, 2011 02:11 PM        
Airbox mod:

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
zixxer14

Pro
Damn that was Quick
posted February 08, 2011 10:43 PM        
Yeah that's the secret "mod" for sure. Holy fuckin' dead thread revival! Bored or what?
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit zixxer14's homepage. 
Edgecrusher

Expert Class
posted February 09, 2011 04:09 AM        
good god that bike just keeps getting uglier!
  Ignore this member   
CraigChrist

Pro
BAWLS
posted February 09, 2011 10:10 AM        
WOW gold

Ignore this member   
Edgecrusher

Expert Class
posted February 09, 2011 10:38 AM        
what is all that plastic-y mess infront of the 'headlight'?
  Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted February 09, 2011 11:00 AM        
My old buddy's bike is awesome. He even found a place to hang the tool bag up front. How many of you with modded 14s can say you have a place to store tools?

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 3 pages long: 1  2  3   ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: ZX-14 AIR BOX MOD...WOW!!!!!!!!!! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2014 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.714035987854 seconds processing time