HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: My thoughts on the ZX14... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
CrotchRocket

Bracket Racing with Betsy
posted January 21, 2006 09:09 AM        Edited By: CrotchRocket on 21 Jan 2006 08:21
My thoughts on the ZX14...

Went to the NYC bike show with BrooklynZX12 and Big Jim...Here's what I have to say about the 14 !!!

I saw the Candy Blue on the small stage they had set up and thinking about how it looks...Then I see the Black 14 on the floor and said WOW the black is awesome looking!!!...From the pictures posted all over Bikeland I thought the Candy Blue was the best color...Seeing the 14 in person, it is definately better looking and the Black is my choice!!!

I didnt sit on the 14 yet, I saw the cutaway bike and went right over for the inspection...First thing I did was take note of how much room is between the frame and valve cover, and then put a closed fist inbetween and it fit !!! But I dont have big hands, still happy with the room for removing the spark plugs...There is only one air filter element and it has a triangular shape, and can be removed through the throttle body covers on the frame...The cooling system thermostat is easily accessable!!!...The oil pan is much flatter and only has about a 3 inch drop for oil capacity making that the lowest point on the 14, BUT it still has a whole lot more ground clearence than the 12...The oil filter screws onto the oil pan which makes oil changes a 15 minute project without removing any body work!!!

I like the semi flush turn signals...The front and rear fender area under the fairings are curved to the shape of the tire allowing for the 14 to be slammed low for DragRacing!!! The lowering strap will fit between the steering neck and the tank cover screw...I also realized that Kawasaki made the head light assembly and faring long allowing for extra room for us to access the pinch bolts on the forks to lower the 14 without having to take the whole inside plastics off Getting back to the motor, the clutch basket is bigger whick makes for larger diameter clutch plates and with the short oil pan making the oil sitting closer to the clutch plates will most likely lube the clutches and crank better than the 12 As for the rest of the motor changes, well Im just a Jockey and will leave the comments up to the motorheads!!!

Now my thoughts on the feel of the 14!!!...I threw my leg over the black 14 on the floor feeling the possition of how I was sitting...Thinking about it and immediately went into the DragRacing 2nd stageing light possition...The first noticable difference is the flatter gas tank that did not put pressure on my stomach making the DragRace possition more comfortable than the 12 The handle bars are a closer reach and closer together making for a better tuck to get out of the wind while blasting down the 1/4 mile...With that being said and the extra large ramair intake, Now I under stand why Kawasaki made the frontal area wider on the 14 The seating possition is much better than the 12 with the 14 having a thin seat width close to the gas tank, and after I dig out the padding and cut a little plastic away off the base of the seat against the gas tank, I know it will feel real comfortable The foot peg possition feels almost exact to the ZX12, I cant really tell the difference...To make it easier for everyone to understand the seating possition of the 14...The ZX14s DragRace possition is inbetween the 2006 ZX10 and ZX12...What I realize is, Kawasaki Finally made the ZX14 the way we all wanted the ZX12 to be!!!

Now I understand why all I hear about is Rickey Gadson and Coby Adams being overly excited about this updated version of the old dinosour ZX12!!! Im not as excited as RG and CA, thats because I didnt ride it yet...

I thank Kawasaki for making this updated ZX12!!! Seeing the ZX14 in person and Analyzing the crap out of it I realize that Kawasaki made this 14 very functional for DragRacing, The MaxtonMile, Bonneville TopSpeed runs and then to make it street rider friendly!!!

I cant wait to make a few passes on this BadBoy

*****DragRacers do it better, because they dont cut Corners*****

Ignore this member    Click here to visit CrotchRocket's homepage. 
worm~hole

Needs a life
Miles to go before I sleep....
posted January 21, 2006 09:38 AM        
...nice pre-ride/pre-ownership write-up, CR....MORE SOUP FOR YOU!!!!

-George Orwell

Ignore this member   
ZX11D

Zone Head
Internet Police
posted January 21, 2006 10:04 AM        
Good take on the new 14.
  Ignore this member   
Nukedog

Expert Class
posted January 21, 2006 10:23 AM        
Well Shine went 9.45 on a Busa and 9.46 on a 12R both showroom stock so my bet is the 14R would be about 2 tenths faster than that. Rickeys will go 8.90 to 9.00 but it will have been messed with so that won't count...

Ignore this member   
Nukedog

Expert Class
posted January 21, 2006 10:24 AM        
I hope the Busa does go down. Enjoy the 14 being the best accelerating bike for about 10 months or so till the new Busa comes out...

Ignore this member   
road rage

Expert Class
posted January 21, 2006 10:54 AM        
So with all the thumbs up your giving the ZX-14 (and we like thumbs up for this bike) did you find any negatives at all? Things you didn't like or thought were terrible about it? There have been plenty of write-ups on the ZX-14 from those who've seen it in person or sat on it. Of course comments depend on what's expected before hand or what the eventual owner decides to do with the bike, how they intend on setting it up, riding it etc. Your comments are geared more towards those who'll race the bike at the strip; that's not me. I'm more of the tourinig type so I'm more interested in any comments you might have in that regard, if any.

Thanks,
Phil

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted January 21, 2006 11:20 AM        
Thanks for the input CR.
Exactly what I was hoping to accomplish at the Edomnoton show.

Ignore this member   
BROOKLYNNYZX12

Zone Head
posted January 21, 2006 01:14 PM        
Rick post the pics! DOH!!!...you forgot the camera!!!
  Ignore this member   
Gary B

Expert Class
posted January 21, 2006 01:22 PM        
I have to agree with Rick about most of his thoughts....kinda feels like a lighter feeling Busa while sitting on it. A ZX14Busa! I do like it, but I think I'll have to wait until King Kong smashes his way through the gates once again!
  Ignore this member   
fullzx12r

Zone Head
French Guy
posted January 21, 2006 04:38 PM        
great crotch

pictures ? specifications ?

thanks a lot
zzr 1400 12'

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fullzx12r's homepage. 
worm~hole

Needs a life
posted January 21, 2006 05:37 PM        
...heh heh...he said 'great crotch' ....

-George Orwell

Ignore this member   
Drowland

Zone Head
posted January 21, 2006 05:45 PM        
I'm not trying to be negative but it looks like to me Kawasaki geared this bike to do one thing (drag race). I've been trying to gain all the info I can get .I have been wanting another big bore bike that I could hit the twisties with as well and track days on occasions. Something I could scarifice having a little more weight for the pros of having more low end torque and comfort... What I read is it is 2 inches longer than the 12? I hope not if it is Kawasaki should have left the 12 alive in the states and maybe put it on a diet or something. If this is the direction Kaw is taking they have a big gap between a full race bike the new 10r and this 14? Wtf???
  Ignore this member    Click here to send Drowland an AIM message. 
Gary B

Expert Class
posted January 21, 2006 06:24 PM        
Drow....people don't buy big-bore bikes for hitting twisties...thats what 1000's are for. The Busa-12R-14 are designed for bragging rights and having a powerful touring bike. They will all they're supposed to do and do it well, just not rip up the turns like liter bikes do. As they are now, its a damn good compromise between a 1 liter and a Concourse style bike. If you cab ride the 14 beyond its capabilities in the turns, then you should be getting paid by a factory team!
  Ignore this member   
speedgene

Zone Head
posted January 21, 2006 06:51 PM        Edited By: speedgene on 21 Jan 2006 18:08
Drow....digest what Gary B is saying.....second course is coming....

Quote taken from Editor's short, well written '06 ZX-10 Test-ical Ride:
"KMC stresses that Kawasaki's new mantra is to focus on application specific bikes."

Take the ZX-14 for example. Big bore-long wheel base-two drag racing features programmed into the instrumentation. This is a drag racing, top end making machine! It's does one thing "specific" and it's about time. It can go around corners pretty good too. Not real well, but if you want a bike that turns, then jump on the ZX-10...specifically speaking that is.

There is a "New Mantra" and is here to play. Stage-()()--Yellow-GREEN!

Ignore this member   
Drowland

Zone Head
posted January 21, 2006 07:09 PM        
Okay I hear my side of it. I have a killer 10r now with 168 rwhp. Its got all the goodies. Only problem is that the bike is physcially too small. And the way that Kawasaki is marketing the 14 quote "Ninja®ZX™-14 - If high-performance sportbikes are your passion, then we've got just the street-carver for you. Introducing, the new Ninja ZX-14, our most powerful sportbike ever at 1,352cc.
The blending of form, power, and handling characteristics deliver a debut motorcycle that is so balanced in all aspects, the word "ultimate" barely seems adequate when describing it.
The words in that quote is balanced And thats what I was looking for... Something that has the best of all worlds. So Kaw lying to you or me or telling everyone what they want to hear????????

Ignore this member    Click here to send Drowland an AIM message. 
DSnutz

Parking Attendant
posted January 21, 2006 07:22 PM        
YOUR RIGHT DROWLAND! KAWASAKI TELLING EVERYONE WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR. THEY WANT YOU TO BUY AND PUT DEPOSITS DOWN SO THAT YOU HAVE ONE AND THEN THE SPECS COME OUT AND BAMN YOU STUCK WITH A BIKE YOU DIDNT WANT.
  Ignore this member   
road rage

Expert Class
posted January 21, 2006 07:51 PM        
If you want the ZX-10 but in a slightly larger package then you want a ZX-12, not a ZX-14. The ZX-14 is gonna be a great bike I think but it isn't gonna hold up against the smaller ZX-10's and G1K's in the twisties due it it being longer, heavier, etc and not able to turn as quick. Though IMHO the smaller bikes are twitchy and tough to handle, and are less lilely to forgive you in general if you make a mistake. They're also harder on the rider and demand more input to ride them well. The ZX-14 will not be like this, it should be very easy to ride so only it's power will be a handful, not the whole bike.

Phil

Ignore this member   
VPN

Zone Head
posted January 21, 2006 08:04 PM        
I told you so!
It's not a Speed-King, but a DRAG-Queen!
:-)

Ignore this member   
Gary B

Expert Class
posted January 21, 2006 08:20 PM        
Let me rephrase that....if ANY of you guys can push the 14 past its limits on the open road, then its not the bike for you...you need a 10! My buddy on his Busa tears the ass out of guys on liter bikes because they "think" they can ride. I can only imagine the 14 will handle even better than the Busa. I thought it was VERY well balanced.
  Ignore this member   
worm~hole

Needs a life
posted January 21, 2006 10:47 PM        Edited By: worm~hole on 21 Jan 2006 21:50
quote:
Drow....people don't buy big-bore bikes for hitting twisties...thats what 1000's are for. The Busa-12R-14 are designed for bragging rights and having a powerful touring bike. They will all they're supposed to do and do it well, just not rip up the turns like liter bikes do. As they are now, its a damn good compromise between a 1 liter and a Concourse style bike. If you cab ride the 14 beyond its capabilities in the turns, then you should be getting paid by a factory team!

...I personally only know of one person who can ride a 12R better than some can on a 10R...he's our very own DINO...and I'm sure there are more like him on bikeland...so my take is that we can pick apart any of these bikes, praise or haze, but when it comes right down to it, especially on anything built within the last five years, its the rider babeeee!!!!!

-George Orwell

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted January 21, 2006 11:48 PM        
CrotchRocket...

thanks for the excellent write-up! You noticed lots of things I did not!

Very informative!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
Ozzy

Needs a job
need guberment cheese
posted January 22, 2006 06:17 AM        
I just want hard bags and maybe a set of training wheels
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: My thoughts on the ZX14... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.721014976501 seconds processing time