HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Return of the Battery Tray from hell.... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 29, 2005 06:33 AM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 29 Oct 2005 19:39
Return of the Battery Tray from hell....

I'm really starting to wonder just what the fuck is wrong with the people who design these things. We already determined YEARS AGO that the twit who thought up the whole "battery tray" concept fer the 12R needed to be taken out back and "worked over" for such a God awful design... now here we sit, staring at the fucking battery tray AGAIN.

ARRGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!

:Finger

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 29, 2005 06:37 AM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 29 Oct 2005 07:40
It looks great in CAD.... how 'bout trying that tray on for size when your main fuse blows and your trying to get to it on the side of the Interstate in the pouring rain at 2am?

Dont THEY THINK??????????

swft

Needs a life
Full throttle!
posted October 29, 2005 06:41 AM        
Most mentally deficient (retarded) peeps are at least five years back from their chrono age...Why shouldn't the bikes they design be there as well?
  Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 29, 2005 06:53 AM        
I really taken aback by this... I mean... how could WORLDWIDE hatered of this design compontent for 5 model years not yield a change?????

unbelieveable.

swft

Needs a life
Full throttle!
posted October 29, 2005 06:56 AM        
They collectively stuck their fingers in their ears and said 'La la la la...We can't hear you!" and then someone changed all the calendars to 1998!

Don't forget, honda / yamaha engineers graduate from the finest universities, at the top of their class!

Kawasaki engineers ... graduate...

Ignore this member   
ozzy

Needs a job
need guberment cheese
posted October 29, 2005 07:08 AM        
Its because the design was made in 1999 or before and they havent gotten it to pay for itself yet
  Ignore this member   
beansbaxter

Needs a life
posted October 29, 2005 07:32 AM        
Maybe the 14 has two batteries, the extra reserve still plugged in at all times. Maybe not. I still want my iPod connectors.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit beansbaxter's homepage. 
D

Needs a job
posted October 29, 2005 07:42 AM        
And where would welike the battery to be?
  Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 29, 2005 08:27 AM        
put it under the seat like everyone else.

not rocket science.

D

Needs a job
posted October 29, 2005 08:29 AM        
Mebbe the KHI rocket guys ARE to blame???
  Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 29, 2005 08:47 AM        
Unacceptable to have to dismantle your bike to access something as crucial as the battery or the electronics.

D

Needs a job
posted October 29, 2005 09:01 AM        
I'm not sayin that this is the best design, BUT...

It's only gonna take removal of what, 5 or 6 bolts to access the battery?

In reality, that's only 1 or 2 more bolts than we do with the 10.

Likely won't hafta remove the seat to yank this battery - there's one less step, remove the black plastic strake/cover thangy (1 or 2 bolts) and then 4 bolts for the cover.

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 29, 2005 09:15 AM        
Now, you know that's not true. Your statement that it is "In reality, that's only 1 or 2 more bolts than we do with the 10" is simply 100% wrong.

Removing the tray on the 12 requires that you remove the tank cover, part of the fairing (at least loosen) 7 (i think) bolts for the cover... then disconnecting the various electronics connectors.. bolt holding ground wire and a few other bolts... pushing harness out of way...

all of this to wrestle with the tray to pull it out 3/4 of the way...

undo more crap if you want to pull it all the way out to get to the fuses and relays on the other side.

Battery on the 636.. under the seat.. there it is... same for Ducati... 10R is 2 allens and a bolt. .. the list goes on...

D

Needs a job
posted October 29, 2005 09:34 AM        
I may not be seeing this right but it looks like the fuel tank is not going to restrict access to the battery cover on this bike - I haven't seen the bike so I'm relying on pics I've seen for this statement.

There is no fuel tank cover - right?

The rear portion of the tank is actual tank and the cover is the front half from what I see - seems like the tank would stay in place to remove the cover.

You still hafta remove the bolt(s) to remove the seat on the 636/10 after ya remove the small panel to get to the seat bolts - still seems bout even.

PS - my 12 was 3.5 years old and had 36k on it, never once had to access the battery (lucky mebbe or might be cuz the bike never sat for more than 3-4 days at a time).

Obviously, if you've seen the bike or seen better pics/drawings, then you'll be in a better position to educate us.

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 29, 2005 09:51 AM        
I have yet to see the 14 in person.... I will make a point of taking the tray out for a peek..

all I can go by is my personal experience with the 12R and having a toasted battery and needing to pull the tray out... and also having a dead powercommander and needing to access the tray in 110' heat in RedBluff.

Let me tell you this... if you never had to take the tray out.. no biggee... but the second you need to... you'll be on board with this topic.

D

Needs a job
posted October 29, 2005 09:57 AM        
I understand what a PITA that whole gig was - I read plenty bout it here and other places.

As far as PC's go, I'm pretty much all done with those thaings anyway.

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 29, 2005 10:00 AM        
well.. ealier version 1 of the PC was a prob but I havent had a single bit of trouble with the USB models.. they work very well IMHO. Non-usb version notsogoodthough

MAXIMUS

Needs a job
posted October 29, 2005 10:53 AM        
I had to replace my battery and it wasnt fun, It was under warranty, but customer service sucks at motorcycle dealerships, so they told me i had to wait a few days before they could replace it for me, instead they offered to give me the battery so i could replace it myself, i started to tell them what they can do with thier battery but instead i just replaced it, and its the first one i ever replaced and i can tell you that i dont want to do it again.
  Ignore this member   
trenace

Needs a job
posted October 29, 2005 12:03 PM        
They claim that the battery can be removed from the rear of the frame instead of the side, so it is NOT the same as the 12 in that regard and they may have listened, if it's easy to remove from the rear, which I have a hard time visualizing it being but can't rule out that it is.
  Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 29, 2005 01:33 PM        
where did you see that claim, trenace? doesnt look like it from the picture...

trenace

Needs a job
posted October 29, 2005 02:06 PM        Edited By: trenace on 29 Oct 2005 15:08
http://www.skgastonia.com/view/Kawasaki/Ninja_ZX-14/610

The specific text is:
quote:
- The battery is also housed within the frame and has simple access through the back side of the frame.

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 29, 2005 03:10 PM        
hmmm.... XL or anyone have a comment on this?

extremelean

Pro
posted October 29, 2005 03:35 PM        
Battery to this point comes out the same way as the 12...exception is....ALL the electronics have been moved and only the battery resides there.
The tray is easy in,easy out....and there is no more cover in the way....It is much easier than the ZX12 was.
Dont get your undies all in a bunch fish.
Of course any of this info. is subject to change.....many things can happen between now and production.

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 29, 2005 03:36 PM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 29 Oct 2005 16:40
How do you jump start the bike if the battery is toast? Have they fixed that? Do they still expect you to use the extension cable that they tell you not to have in place, making it totally useless in the event that you need to jumpstart the bike? You know... the one that everyone discovers isnt connected to anything when they actually need to jumpstart the bike?

ozzy

Needs a job
need guberment cheese
posted October 29, 2005 05:29 PM        
I just left the top bolt out of my battery cover. Takes all of 2 minutes to take the cover off, another 30 seconds to hook up the charger or jumper cables(never have needed them). But I am a ainner, I have the emergency + cable hooked up all the time.
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Return of the Battery Tray from hell.... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.22333908081055 seconds processing time