HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: FItting 14 motor into 12? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
trenace

Needs a job
posted September 20, 2005 04:54 PM        
FItting 14 motor into 12?

Photographs (and analysis of them) show that the 14's motor will not slide into the 12's stock motor mounts. Very simply, relative to cylinder heads being in the same position, the 14's upper rear engine mount is about 0.6" further forward and 0.5" higher than the 12's, while ts lower rear engine mount is about 0.3" further back and 0.9" lower than the 12's.

So, something's gotta modify for them to go.

A little photochopping relevaed this may be a realistic plan.

Arbitrarily, I lined the equally-scaled bikes up so that their swingarm pivots were in the same location (this might be always the best way to align two bikes for this test, but it's not bad.)

First, a pic of the 12 as is. Second, a pic with the relevant parts (rear engine mounts) and clutch being "ghostly" (part-transparent) for both the 12 and the 14.

Last, a pic that's solidly of the 12, except for the mounting points and the clutch, which are solidly 14.

As a guess it would seem possible and not too great a thing to weld up and adapt the 12's frame to accomodate the resulting new mount points:

Ignore this member   
vozizm

Needs a job
Got Nothing Witty To Say
posted September 21, 2005 12:57 AM        
its hard for me to tell by pics... i guess someone will just have to trry it...

Ignore this member   
trenace

Needs a job
posted September 21, 2005 03:45 AM        Edited By: trenace on 21 Sep 2005 10:47
Well, the thing to look at in the pics is the changed upper and lower rear motor mount locations. Notice in the middle pic, the upper rear motor mounts appear "doubled" due to being fairly close between the two bikes, whereas with the lower rear mounts the 14's mount is much lower (just barely above the edge of that part of the lower fairing in that pic.) The new locations appear to be ones that, though not familiar with that aspect of the 12's frame, I would think a skilled welder and machinist could accomplish.
  Ignore this member   
CrotchRocket

Bracket Racing with Betsy
posted September 22, 2005 02:14 PM        
Im sure somebody can put the 14 motor in the 12 and have it work well...

The problem is trying to get the 12 with the 14 motor to put down a 9.10 in the 1/4 mile with ease!!!

Everyone does not believe that I went a 9.21 and 9.25 on an un opened stock motor 12 with a 60" wheelbase...It took me alot of Passes to do that and I will say that the 12 is a handful to get down the 1/4 mile...

Thats why Kawasaki made the ZX14 the way it is...Comeon guys, do you really think Kawasaki does not know what they are doing???...Do some of you think you can make the 14 better???...Kawasaki made the 14 like this for a reason...I welcome the 14 for what it is...

Never did any of you question the mechanics of the motor and if it will have the same quirks as the 12 or 11...I really hope this 14 is a well developed motor with excellent oil lubrication of the internal parts!!!

Guys just wait to see how fast the 14 really goes!!!

*****DragRacers do it better, because they dont cut Corners*****

Ignore this member    Click here to visit CrotchRocket's homepage. 
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: FItting 14 motor into 12? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.29232811927795 seconds processing time