HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: under cowl option? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
ozzy

Needs a job
need guberment cheese
posted September 17, 2005 09:33 PM        
under cowl option?

"You only get the under cowl in front of the rear wheel if you opt out of having a centre stand."
Is this for Euro only or will N.A. get it also. . .

Ignore this member   
vozizm

Needs a job
Got Nothing Witty To Say
posted September 17, 2005 09:35 PM        
hmmm..good question!!..

Ignore this member   
swft

Needs a life
Full throttle!
posted September 18, 2005 11:12 AM        
Under Cowl?
  Ignore this member   
trenace

Needs a job
posted September 18, 2005 11:31 AM        
The piece that often would be part of the lower cowl, extending back near the rear tire as with the ZX-10R for example.

On this bike, it's a separate piece that looks like crap. I'd leave it off.

Ignore this member   
extremelean

Pro
posted September 18, 2005 11:32 AM        
NO centerstand for the USA....although it MIGHT be made available for purchase.

Ignore this member   
jimzx9r

Expert Class
posted September 18, 2005 11:38 AM        
I am clueless what the undercowl is. I'm thinking an undertail or a hugger...or maybe you mean the mudflap? Somebody post a pic for this stupid noob.
  Ignore this member   
trenace

Needs a job
posted September 18, 2005 12:12 PM        Edited By: trenace on 18 Sep 2005 19:13
The piece down by the rear tire and the shock and under the exhaust endpipe that looks like the tail end of a lower fairing (if one that goes way back even past the rear tire) but in
this case is actually a separate piece. Which is good, because that means it's removable, and it looks like shit (interferes with lines of bike):

Ignore this member   
extremelean

Pro
posted September 18, 2005 12:22 PM        
quote:
and it looks like shit (interferes with lines of bike)

But is functional.

Ignore this member   
trenace

Needs a job
posted September 18, 2005 12:23 PM        Edited By: trenace on 18 Sep 2005 19:24
For keeping the shock clean, or at least as clean as it's going to be still lacking a hugger?

Even if so, I don't understand the purpose of extending past the tire.

Ignore this member   
extremelean

Pro
posted September 18, 2005 12:25 PM        
Aero's.

Ignore this member   
trenace

Needs a job
posted September 18, 2005 12:34 PM        Edited By: trenace on 18 Sep 2005 19:53
Hard to see the effect there as at the bottom of the tire, as opposed to the top, the tire is rotating with the pavement, with the air flow. In other words the tire is at a near stop
relative to the air, and therefore is not inducing much drag at its lowermost parts.

Where the tires exhibit high drag is at the top (where they are advancing into the air at DOUBLE the bike's speed) and anywhere near the midpoints, where they are advancing
into the air at the bike's speed plus introducing some turbulence from upwards or downwards motion.

If Kawasaki wanted to reduce aero drag from the rear tire, the place to do it would be with a hugger, not with that very low cowl. I don't doubt someone said it was aeros or it may even be written, but that doesn't make sense to me.

Example of that in practice: the ZX-RR. And BTW, if the ZX-14 had turned out like this in appearance but at the 12R's width and seat/bar positions and with a 12R or C-model
ZX-10-like tail, there would be not one single complaint, only wild enthusiasm and terrific sales:

Ignore this member   
Dino

Pro
posted September 18, 2005 12:44 PM        
Nail on the head Trenace.
Why the f#@$ can't they make a street bike resembling THAT bike?!?!?! I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person that slobbered all over it at Laguna Seca.

Sell the friggin' thing as a one upper and make a passenger seat, pegs, etc. as the optional crap.

Ignore this member   
extremelean

Pro
posted September 18, 2005 12:53 PM        
Take a look how close that lower cowl is to the rear wheel on the GP bike, do you suppose that it's that far back and has no function?..... I am not an engineer and will never claim to be, BUT I can tell you that smooth air to the lower rear of the machine is key to slippery areo's.

Ignore this member   
trenace

Needs a job
posted September 18, 2005 12:54 PM        Edited By: trenace on 18 Sep 2005 19:58
On the GP bike it is relatively high off the ground, in the area that I'm talking about where drag is higher.

On further thought and looking back at the pic, that cowl on the ZX-14 is higher than I first realized. I still see no benefit to its extending past the rear tire, none at all, and that's
what looks bad.

However, fairing in the area up to the rear tire, I do now agree, now that you've pointed it out, is beneficial for drag. Just not the part past the tire's leading edge. The ZX-RR
has it as far back as it needs to go, IMO, for what it's worth.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: under cowl option? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.29511904716492 seconds processing time