HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: find the man who designed the battery tray... take him out back.... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted March 20, 2004 08:25 PM        
find the man who designed the battery tray... take him out back....

... and put the boots to him... werk him over REAL GOOD. The friggin bastard! What did I EVER do to him to deserve such a piece of shit deign to access a battery.

Pardon me... but FUCK HIM

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
swft

Needs a life
Full throttle!
posted March 20, 2004 08:43 PM        
*laughs* Obviously, you had never needed to access it before. The trick is to leave the top bolt out...
  Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted March 20, 2004 08:52 PM        
I have had to access it before... I was just revisting it tonite... now I REALLY hate the guy who thought it up....

killing him would be letting him off easy

zx12mark

Pro
posted March 20, 2004 10:13 PM        
for help

use a long thin screw driver under the bottom of the plastic tray to wedge the far end up alittle so it goes back end easier. works for me. later killer

Ignore this member    Click here to visit zx12mark's homepage. 
TurboBlew

BUSY DOING THE SCHIAVO
posted March 20, 2004 10:33 PM        
Just be glad they didnt locate the throttle in there.... now that would sure make for a funny riding position....lol

Ignore this member   
beansbaxter

Needs a life
posted March 21, 2004 12:20 AM        
not to sound ignorant, but thankfully dino kept my battery charged while i was away...but what is the big deal about the battery that makes you wish violence upon those who design our bikes?
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit beansbaxter's homepage. 
wannabe

Pro
posted March 21, 2004 01:07 AM        
Try taking it out, beans. You'll understand.
  Ignore this member   
pdb1964

Zone Head
posted March 21, 2004 03:10 AM        
I also left the boost cable attached to the positive end of the battery. The manual says not to but I didn't see the harm of leaving it there, as long as the end isn't shorting out on anything, So now, if I ever need to charge the battery or need a boost, I only have to take the cover off. Now, if I only remembered to leave the top bolt out....arrgg.

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted March 21, 2004 05:13 AM        
mark... I've had a long running hatered of the man responisible for the battery "tray"... having a background in electrical design, I have a very hard time thinking nice thoughts about him.... i have to access it about once a year to twiddle with some accessory or another... I had forgotten about it until this year... now I am speaking out on behalf of ALL ZX12R owners!

catd11r

Expert Class
posted March 21, 2004 05:19 AM        
Fish, we could form a ugly, vicious, mob and hunt him down. Then put the boots to HIM. The Horror. The Horror.

Ignore this member   
extremelean

Pro
posted March 21, 2004 10:01 AM        
SOO....fish...
how would you design that bike so the battery was accessable , or anyone else that would like to reply.

Just curious

Ignore this member   
busakillerzx12r

Expert Class
posted March 21, 2004 11:51 AM        
I would have kept the design like the ZX-11's had...east to get to, right under the seat....Good Location..

Ignore this member   
pdb1964

Zone Head
posted March 21, 2004 12:03 PM        
Or leave it where it is. Just better access to it, like getting rid of that top bolt and routing wires to the side so that it can be easily charged or boasted.

Ignore this member   
swft

Needs a life
Full throttle!
posted March 21, 2004 12:53 PM        
To put it under the seat, you'd have a significant chunk of weight much higher up and farther back than the present design. That being said, I gotta say that it really sucks when you find out your battery is dead and you find that you have to take half the bodywork off just to jump the battery.
  Ignore this member   
CrotchRocket

Bracket Racing with Betsy
posted March 21, 2004 01:01 PM        
Hey Fish...I dont think its a problem as long as you buy a new battery every 2 years!!!

If you had a Busa then I can understand you bitching about the battery, because too often I see and hear about guys always fiddling with the eletrical system...

*****DragRacers do it better, because they dont cut Corners*****

Ignore this member    Click here to visit CrotchRocket's homepage. 
frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted March 21, 2004 01:56 PM        
just do like me: zero maintenance or accessories, and lose the bodywork. works great for me!
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit frEEk's homepage. 
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted March 21, 2004 06:58 PM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 21 Mar 2004 19:01
extreme... come on man... you shouldn't have to dismantle the bike to get to the battery. Take a look at my 900ss that I owned. Take a look at the battery on pk's 6R... This isnt rocket science.

"yep boys.. better bolt that battery in on that there 12R REAL GOOD so she dont get away from ya!"

Must have had some good opium or whatever the drug of choice is back there at HQ in Japan when they thought that up.... Hey.. I have that old Silver book about the 12R lying around... sounds like I should dig up a picture of the guy.. we could put out a bounty on him

It's just plain wrong.

Put it under the seat.

If you cant, and it has to be in a "tray", then ditch the bolts and make a latch or hatch of some sort. Make it so the tray can pull STRAIGHT OUT without having to disconnect ANY wires and shove bodywork out of the way.

Like this REALLY needs to be explained .. but maybe it does cuz there's the 04 with the same piece of shit tray in it... I guess years from now people can look back and talk about how STUPID that battery tray was on the 12R (year after year after year).

so there.

extremelean

Pro
posted March 21, 2004 08:07 PM        
so is it safe to assume that you dont like the monocoque chasis?

If you put the battery under the seat...where are you gonna put the fuel tank?

In all seriousness....how would you have designed this machine..WITH the monocoque chasis, without compromising chasis integrity.
Not trying to be smartass or anything...I am just really curious to hear how people would have designed this machine....according to the rules above.

Ignore this member   
TurboBlew

BUSY DOING THE SCHIAVO
posted March 21, 2004 08:13 PM        
For the record..... I always liked the battery location. The battery door could have been better thought out though.
If I had anything to change, it'd be the gas tank top. Id spread it out over the frame on the sides, putting the rider closer to the frame.. instead of having 4" of tank there.

Ignore this member   
wannabe

Pro
posted March 21, 2004 08:40 PM        
OK, extremelean, I'll bite. My idea wouldn't change the monocoque chassis or the battery location, but getting to the battery would be much easier. I am assuming that all 5 bolts in the batter cover are mandatory for the integrity of the frame. So, assuming that you can't change the cover, I would redesign the gas tank cover so that it doesn't go over the battery cover.

If the powers that be refuse to allow me to change the tank design, I would do my best to argue that they allow some sort of cabling that would allow access to the battery connections without having to remove the cover. I figure that something along the lines of a battery tender connection mounted somewhere accessable would make it so that you wouldn't even need to get into the batter case unless it needs to be replaced.

Ignore this member   
canadamaxxer

Pro
posted March 21, 2004 09:08 PM        
I can honestly say that I've seen a lot worse. Try taking the battery out of a Vmax......no fun at all. I am an automotive technician by trade and I find this bike a joy to work on compared to the shite I have to work with on a daily basis.

I was impressed that the battery slid out on that tray. It wasn't that big of deal to disconnect the electrical (for me anyways), and then the whole thing slid right out. I thought it was a nice feature.

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted March 21, 2004 09:11 PM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 21 Mar 2004 21:13
not needing to restate what wannabe said, I dont believe that you have to bolt that cover on the way you do now without compromising that frame integrity. There are many many other types of fastners available... certainly some other type of latching cover could have been designed. And ditto on the replocting of the components other that the battery. I've seen how much room is available with the 12R under the seat on Dino's bike with hius own "undertail"... tonnes of space to store all the components and more.. infact even the battery.

but there is no reason on earth you have to have the wiring routed such that you have to dismantle the thing to pull out the tray, move the bodywork etc...

btw.. canada... you have to take the tank cover off to take the battery cover off.. and to do that you have to take off the seat and so one and so on... maybe yer fergetting what's involved here...

fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted March 21, 2004 09:11 PM        
want me to suggest more? are you offering me that man's job?

TurboBlew

BUSY DOING THE SCHIAVO
posted March 21, 2004 09:11 PM        
Exactly maxxer. The only ones that complain are the ones that "neglect" shit....lol

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted March 21, 2004 09:16 PM        
uh... I dont think so...

All times are America/Va [ This thread is 3 pages long: 1  2  3     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: find the man who designed the battery tray... take him out back.... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.22728705406189 seconds processing time