HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > BIKE CHAT > Thread: Think you can ride? How 'bout tangling with these Harley riders? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted April 02, 2010 01:39 AM        
Hardley Ableson.

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted April 02, 2010 01:41 AM        
Hardley Ableson.

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
silver

Novice Class
Too Old to care
posted April 02, 2010 01:44 AM        
It's just a damn shame they treated Buell like an adopted step son, I believe more Harley folks would have bought them if they said Harley Davidson on them instead of Buell.

Ignore this member   
worm~hole

Needs a life
Miles to go before I sleep....
posted April 02, 2010 03:48 AM        Edited By: worm~hole on 2 Apr 2010 18:47
quote:
quote:
...bro....YOU need a Harley....this one would look good under you

...c'mon...ya'know ya'wanna

Sorry although I understand the harley thing, I don't buy in. Are you becoming the salsa of harley?? Trying it justify something stupid?

..nope...I'm a motorhead/enthusiasts/motorcyclist who can appreciate anything on more that one wheel...vintage to hi-tech moderns...

...I really like HDs for what they are as much as I like any other brand for what they are and are capable of...

...I am amused by the exaggerated stories of how bad HDs are...really?...funny how every year/make/model of every motorcycle out there has its good and bad points depending on the level of experience, knowledge, and attitude of the rider/reviewer....

...yet HDs get a bad rap because "they're too slow"...and sportbikes get a bad rap because "they're too fast"...says who?...

...ever notice most of the loudest, embellishing and often erroneous protesters of bikes they don't like are the consumers/end-users of the product who go out and buy a product just because they can and know little to nothing of how to design and/or engineer a bike or component?....

...ever notice most of the rational and factional thinkers of all things motorcycles are the folks who are deep in the motorcycle industry whether its engineering the bike itself or an after-market part to improve upon a design ?...these folks appreciate the motorcycle for what a motorcycle does...and if they can do better they actually go out and do it instead of being a mouth-breathing loudmouth...

...old news flash: the much anticipated C14 had problems during its intro year and have been fixed during subsequent years, but that hasn't deterred the legions of Connie fans from owning/riding/enjoying them...so, too, with the legion of HD fans and their bikes from 1903 through the present...

...and like it or not HD is arguably one of the most recognizable brands and desirable bikes by many on the planet...not all will own one...not all can afford one...not all will want one...blame it on marketing...blame it on the price...blame it on the quality...blame it on fantastic stories...blame it on old folks...blame it on hot babes...blame it on blame...whatever it is the HD brand is a success story....and who doesn't appreciate success story like HD's success story?...

...I learned to ride on a Kawasaki Avenger in 1975...my first bike was a 1975 Z1-B...I've owned several Kawasakis throughout the years...you could say I bleed TeamGreen , but truth be known is that I like all brands and will defend them all for what they are capable of and how good they make most riders feel about riding them...sound familiar?

...I miss my chrome-ladened FLHTC...riding it was a blast for me as much as its been a blast on any of the bikes I've owned and ridden throughout the years...of course, we're all entitled to our opinions, exaggerated or not

...the bottom line for me is if I'm enjoying my ride on what ever bike I'm riding, I've already "won"...even when I'm on the slowest bike with the most vibration and when the fastest riders blast past me on the fastest bike on the planet....

...you could call it zen-rides...not forcing it upon you, not letting you take it away from me

-George Orwell

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted April 02, 2010 05:35 AM        
quote:
quote:
quote:
...bro....YOU need a Harley....this one would look good under you

...c'mon...ya'know ya'wanna

Sorry although I understand the harley thing, I don't buy in. Are you becoming the salsa of harley?? Trying it justify something stupid?

..nope...I'm a motorhead/enthusiasts/motorcyclist who can appreciate anything on more that one wheel...vintage to hi-tech moderns...

...I really like HDs for what they are as much as I like any other brand for what they are and are capable of...

...yet HDs get a bad rap because "they're too slow"...and sportbikes get a bad rap because "they're too fast"...says who?...

...ever notice most of the loudest, embellishing and often erroneous protesters of bikes they don't like are the consumers/end-users of the product who go out and buy a product just because they can?....

quote:
...I am amused by the exaggerrted stories of how bad HDs are...really?...funny how every year/make/model of every motorcycle out there has its good and bad points depending on the level of experience, knowledge, and attitude of the rider/reviewer....

That was a well earned reputation, for years and years these bikes were one of the most undependable on the road especially when AMF owned them, it was not until the family took it back over that the dependability got better and that still took many years.

quote:
...I learned to ride on a Kawasaki Avenger in 1975...my first bike was a 1975 Z1-B...I've owned several Kawasakis throughout the years...you could say I bleed TeamGreen , but truth be known is that I like all brands and will defend them all for what they are capable of and how good they make most riders feel about riding them...sound familiar?

The 1971 Kawasaki A7 (Avenger to you) was and still is the most powerful 350 twin two stroke out there. It got the CDI ignition and that made it a real rocket. The Yamahas were no match for it. It's twin rotary valve design even made it torquey. I was working at a Kawasaki/Yamaha dealership then, and by the way it would smoke all but the most modified harleys on the road at the time.

quote:
...old news flash: the much anticipated C14 had problems during its intro year and have been fixed during subsequent years, but that hasn't deterred the legions of Connie fans from owning/riding/enjoying them...so, too, with the legion of HD fans and their bikes from 1903 through the present...

So what is your point? In every respect the C14 outshines the Massy Fergison. Did you know that there is a major problem with the cam bearings on the late model harleys that left unfixed will cause catastrophic engine failure and they aren't recalling them?

quote:
...and like it or not HD is arguably one of the most recognizable brands and desirable bikes by many on the planet...not all will own one...not all can afford one...not all will want one...blame it on marketing...blame it on the price...blame it on the quality...blame it on fantastic stories...blame it on old folks...blame it on hot babes...blame it on blame...whatever it is the HD brand is a success story....and who doesn't appreciate success story like HD's success story?...

And so is what the resident thread hijacker preaches, both are antiquated. But some just can't get out of the past. But pushing ones beliefs on others is well..... annoying.

quote:
...I miss my chrome-ladened FLHTC...riding it was a blast for me as much as its been a blast on any of the bikes I've owned and ridden throughout the years...of course, we're all entitled to our opinions, exaggerated or not

Of course, to each their own. But a harley can't do what a sport bike or a sport tourer can. And for some motorcycling is not about image, it is about enjoying the road, it is not the destination but the ride. So when the road starts to twist, for most of us that is when the throttle starts to twist. For a harley rider it is the opposite. Fine... we just don't want to downgrade. I will take performance over chrome any day.

quote:
...ever notice most of the rational and factional thinkers of all things motorcycles are the folks who are deep in the motorcycle industry whether its engineering the bike itself or an after-market part to improve upon a design ?...these folks appreciate the motorcycle for what a motorcycle does...and if they can do better they actually go out and do it instead of being a mouth-breathing loudmouth...

Who is the one telling us we need a harley??? Some mouth-breathing loudmouth?

Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
worm~hole

Needs a life
posted April 02, 2010 11:34 AM        Edited By: worm~hole on 3 Apr 2010 01:44
...you've completely missed my point...I've never compared an HD with a C14...all I'm saying is that people buy and ride what they like...whodafuck are those who badmouth other people's choices?...the HD and C14 will cover the same distances and same ground, but the riding sensation will be obviously different...I'm not preaching any one brand over the other...to each his own...i like Harleys and I like C14s and anything else out there that makes me smile...but I still find it amusing how some folks bash another rider's ride like a know-it-all....expecially this stuff-falls-off-the-harley bullshit...really?...I remember how stuff fell off of my KLR650 and SXC until I went through them with loctite ...re-read and report back...

-George Orwell

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted April 02, 2010 11:45 AM        
I got the point, I just broke the comments apart, and took a jab at ya.

Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
worm~hole

Needs a life
posted April 02, 2010 11:46 AM        

-George Orwell

Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted April 02, 2010 11:50 AM        

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted April 02, 2010 11:51 AM        
I thought you might enjoy the A7 history. Did you know there were two different models? An A7SS and an A7TR.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
worm~hole

Needs a life
posted April 02, 2010 12:06 PM        

-George Orwell

Ignore this member   
worm~hole

Needs a life
posted April 02, 2010 12:13 PM        
quote:
I thought you might enjoy the A7 history. Did you know there were two different models? An A7SS and an A7TR.

...it was an orange one...I think it was an SS...I didn't know jackshit about riding and a co-worker said, "take it for a spin...you can't hurt it"...well I did...and it nearly hurt me ...a few weeks later I bought and rode my beautiful Z1 on a 300+mile maiden voyage from Ashville to Fayetteville...i wish I still had that bike

-George Orwell

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted April 02, 2010 02:10 PM        
A7SS = low pipes, A7TR = high pipes.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
worm~hole

Needs a life
posted April 02, 2010 08:31 PM        
...it was a low-pipe for sure...looked lie a mini-H1

-George Orwell

Ignore this member   
silver

Novice Class
Too Old to care
posted April 02, 2010 10:08 PM        
"The 1971 Kawasaki A7 (Avenger to you) was and still is the most powerful 350 twin two stroke out there. It got the CDI ignition and that made it a real rocket. The Yamahas were no match for it. It's twin rotary valve design even made it torquey. I was working at a Kawasaki/Yamaha dealership then, and by the way it would smoke all but the most modified harleys on the road at the time. "

Don't forget about the Bridgestone X-6 Hustler and 350R......... they were the fastest Japbikes in the late 60's by far. Every jap bike came with Bridgestone tires, they all united and told Bridgestone to quit making bikes or they would quit buying tires, gone.

Kawasakis were cool but never won a first Daytona till 1992 after 16 Harley wins, 15 Yamaha wins, 5 Honda wins, and 1 Suzuki win.

Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted April 03, 2010 03:54 AM        

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted April 03, 2010 02:20 PM        
quote:
"The 1971 Kawasaki A7 (Avenger to you) was and still is the most powerful 350 twin two stroke out there. It got the CDI ignition and that made it a real rocket. The Yamahas were no match for it. It's twin rotary valve design even made it torquey. I was working at a Kawasaki/Yamaha dealership then, and by the way it would smoke all but the most modified harleys on the road at the time. "

Don't forget about the Bridgestone X-6 Hustler and 350R......... they were the fastest Japbikes in the late 60's by far. Every jap bike came with Bridgestone tires, they all united and told Bridgestone to quit making bikes or they would quit buying tires, gone.

Kawasakis were cool but never won a first Daytona till 1992 after 16 Harley wins, 15 Yamaha wins, 5 Honda wins, and 1 Suzuki win.

First the X6 Hustler was a Suzuki and it was a ripper.(I know this because I am a factory trained Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha mechanic or was) But an A1 (the 250 version of an A7) would match it or out run it. The Bridgestone's were mega piece of shit and no match for the A7. Really, really bad.
As for Harley's winning Datona, they were much bigger bikes for many years. But they were no match for anything half their displacement.

In the late 60 the quickest bike on this planet was the Kawasaki H1, in 72 it was the H2. Harley had passed it's prime may years before, and everyone else was sucking wind. Since then Kawasaki has set the standard on most occasions.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted April 03, 2010 02:31 PM        
quote:
quote:

First the X6 Hustler was a Suzuki and it was a ripper.(I know this because I am a factory trained Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha mechanic or was) But an A1 (the 250 version of an A7) would match it or out run it. The Bridgestone's were mega piece of shit and no match for the A7. Really, really bad.
As for Harley's winning Datona, they were much bigger bikes for many years. But they were no match for anything half their displacement.

In the late 60 the quickest bike on this planet was the Kawasaki H1, in 72 it was the H2. Harley had passed it's prime may years before, and everyone else was sucking wind. Since then Kawasaki has set the standard on most occasions.

Kawasaki sets the standard every time it comes out with something with outright brute power. Everyone else struggles to take up the slack In other ways lol.

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
silver

Novice Class
Too Old to care
posted April 06, 2010 12:40 AM        
I stand corrected for the X-6 Hustler, the Bridgestone grt 350 was the fastest jap bike though in it's day, none of the two strokes lasted many miles before they blew up, they all sucked, smoked, fouled plugs and were a pain in the ass. None of them were ever able to out run my 1969 750 Honda. Had Honda not set the pace and standard's with that bike the rest of Japan would still be making 2-strokes today.........Ring ding ding ding ding!

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted April 06, 2010 02:41 AM        
quote:
I stand corrected for the X-6 Hustler, the Bridgestone grt 350 was the fastest jap bike though in it's day, none of the two strokes lasted many miles before they blew up, they all sucked, smoked, fouled plugs and were a pain in the ass. None of them were ever able to out run my 1969 750 Honda. Had Honda not set the pace and standard's with that bike the rest of Japan would still be making 2-strokes today.........Ring ding ding ding ding!

I call bullshit. The 750 Honda was no match for a 500 Kawasaki. It could be the 350s of the day but not a Triple. One if my duties at the Kawasaki shop where I worked, being the resident not bag (no fear) was to race anybody who thought they had a fast bike with a box stock H1properly serviced. Many a Honda 750 watched as I wheelied away, as well as harleys, Triumphs and BSAs.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
silver

Novice Class
Too Old to care
posted April 06, 2010 03:59 AM        
The average rider fell off the back of them too and busted their ass if they wasn't set up for drag racing. They WOULD take my 750 off the line with a good rider but I ALWAYS caught and passed them at the other end like they was standing still. I NEVER lost a race, sorry.

Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted April 06, 2010 04:10 AM        
Hardley Davisdsmess ...

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted April 06, 2010 04:45 AM        
quote:
The average rider fell off the back of them too and busted their ass if they wasn't set up for drag racing. They WOULD take my 750 off the line with a good rider but I ALWAYS caught and passed them at the other end like they was standing still. I NEVER lost a race, sorry.

Now you are talking bikes set up for drag racing and rider ability. I am talking about your basic street bike. In stock trim the the 750 was no match for a triple with equal riders.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
silver

Novice Class
Too Old to care
posted April 06, 2010 05:09 AM        
Thank you for sharing your opinion, duly noted............. I raced them all the time and never lost,

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted April 06, 2010 05:32 AM        
A good rider makes all the difference in the world. But with equal riders and stock bikes...all other bikes got the headlight sucked out by the triple...ALL.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 9 pages long: 1  -  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > BIKE CHAT > Thread: Think you can ride? How \'bout tangling with these Harley riders? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.46261501312256 seconds processing time