HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > BIKE CHAT > Thread: ZX-11: Oil pan's oil presure relief valve NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Thread: ZX-11: Oil pan\'s oil presure relief valve
Claude

Expert Class
posted November 13, 2001 06:11 PM        
ZX-11: Oil pan's oil presure relief valve

Doug, if you don't mind, let me break the ice with this post...
Somewhere during ZX-11D's life, Kawasaki added another oil pressure relief valve on the oil pan (exact same unit than already on the oil pump, #16130-1058). On Kawasaki's web site, it is now listed for all D model (not on C model) but I think they list it as a retrofit for older D models. Question are: 1) What are the advantages an additionnal oil pressure relief valve? 2) Will such an oil pan fit on an older C's engine? 3) Will this older engine will benefit of the advantages of having this second relief valve without any other modification? Just FYI, I circled the second relief valve on the picture below. Thanks!

Ignore this member   
Zx23rr

Expert Class
Mahogany Bomber Pilot
posted November 14, 2001 09:50 AM        
Only one relief valve

in the engines. The newer updated valve has a piston instead of a ball as the valve. The ball would relief pressure as soon as the ball unseats. The updated piston valve has to move a set distance to uncover a port/s to dump pressure. This valve will screw right in place any C or D model.

Later............................../

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Zx23rr's homepage. 
Claude

Expert Class
posted November 14, 2001 05:02 PM        
Oil pressure relief valve

23, I oerfectly know about the differences between old (ball) and newer (cylinder) design. In fact, I already installed the newer relief valve on the oil pump of my 1990 C1. What I meant is that, somewhere during D's engine life, Kawasaki added another relief valve inside the engine for a total of TWO. First one, like on all ZX11 engines, is directly on the oil pump (item #16130 on the first picture)

The second relief valve have been added on the oil pan itself. Look at the second picture (from D model), still item #16130 on the oil pan's extreme left corner:

For comparison purpose, the third picture is from C model. Looks like it also lack the added material where the threads are on D's pan:

My questions are still the same than on my first post above:
1) What are the advantages of this additionnal oil pressure relief valve?
2) Will such threaded oil pan fit on an older C's engine?
3) Will this older engine will benefit of the advantages of having this second relief valve without any other modification.
Thanks for any information!!

Ignore this member   
Zx23rr

Expert Class
Mahogany Bomber Pilot
posted November 14, 2001 05:27 PM        
Well color me blonde!!!

Very interesting!!!! I knew I should have purchased that newer D-model manual!

Later......................./

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Zx23rr's homepage. 
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted November 15, 2001 04:14 PM        
The earlier D pan used a simple orfice to control the flow back to the pan from the cooler. The 95 D pan utilizes the relief valve to keep the cooler "full" and control the amount of oil through the cooler loop (less will flow past the PRV at lower rpms).
The piston type valve yields a more stabile oil pressure.

You will also notice that the drawing is incorrect. The valve goes IN the pan, not out the front. :-)

Doug

Ignore this member   
Claude

Expert Class
posted November 15, 2001 05:20 PM        
Thanks Doug! And would this newer oil pan fit on previous engines without any other modification and benefit from this added relief valve?
  Ignore this member   
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted November 16, 2001 09:22 AM        
Yes, it will fit. BTW, We have the pressure relief valves in stock here.
Doug

Ignore this member   
Claude

Expert Class
posted November 27, 2001 08:01 PM        
Doug, one more question...

Doug, here's another (maybe stupid) one... Because the added relief valve raise the pressure into the oil cooler, can C's cooler withstand the added pressure without bursting or leaking??? If I install a newer D's oil pan on my C's engine, will I need to replace the cooler with one from a D? I'm asking because both D's and C's oil cooler part numbers are different. As usual, thanks a lot!!

Ignore this member   
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted December 03, 2001 02:16 PM        
I wouldn't expect any problem with the pressure, you're only talking about 70 pounds total.
Doug

Ignore this member   
All times are PST(US) < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > BIKE CHAT > Thread: ZX-11: Oil pan\'s oil presure relief valve NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.214947938919 seconds processing time