HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > BIKE CHAT > Thread: Suzuki's 2nd Gen Hayabusa – Bikeland’s Longterm Review NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted May 12, 2009 12:57 AM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 12 May 2009 14:58
page 2

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted May 12, 2009 12:58 AM        
quote:
I can't understand why the exhaust was designed assuming the majority of the crowd wouldn't lean the bike? I guess I'm off on that note.

?

I dont understand this statement, stevewfl.

fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted May 12, 2009 01:14 AM        
Gee - that's pretty simple. He means that the pipes are sitting too low to lean the bike.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FastestBusaAround's homepage. 
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted May 12, 2009 02:07 AM        
it's not simple, because they're not... which is why I dont understand the statement.

1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted May 12, 2009 02:16 AM        Edited By: 1badzx12r on 12 May 2009 16:17
yada yada yada

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted May 12, 2009 02:46 AM        
quote:
Gee - that's pretty simple. He means that the pipes are sitting too low to lean the bike.

I believe the article states the otherwise... which is why I find this confusing.

thekaz

Needs a job
spell chequer is bustimicated
posted May 12, 2009 03:03 AM        
quote:
quote:

I believe the article states the otherwise... which is why I find this confusing.

The article states alot of things but the pictures are more fun to look at than reading

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted May 12, 2009 03:41 AM        
quote:
The article states alot of things but the pictures are more fun to look at than reading

I got that impression from some of the comments

what are all these pesky words here for anyways!

fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted May 12, 2009 03:50 AM        
quote:
How come the pads & rotors were changed but the OEM hoses were still used ?

And FISH is that LCD really useful or just a whole lotta BLING ?

re: hoses, 14 w/ OE hoses ... well... pretty much any bike w/ OE hoses outperforms the busa's braking with OE hoses... issue isn't the hoses... it's deeper than that...

re: LCD unit... nope.. it's pretty cool... you can really do a lot with it... if you can find space to fit the multi function hub into the bike, it's even cooler.

for the LCD unit. ... no bling... just cool.

Hawkman

Zone Head
posted May 12, 2009 04:41 AM        
quote:
I read it and it looks to me like my Busa is better than your zx14 .. Why even bring up the zx14 ? The write up was a long term test on your 08 busa ...

That's pretty much what I got out of it also.

One thing that I didn't like was the "The same can't be said about the ZX-14" remark in regards to engine heat. If I recall, Fish rode a ZX-14 in 100+ degree temperatures when it was brand new and still breaking in. Now he's bagging on it after riding his Busa up in Canada in the cooler, denser air.

Other than that...decent write up. Grammatical errors here and there, but I'm just splitting hairs.

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted May 12, 2009 04:49 AM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 12 May 2009 18:56
hawkman - thx for your reply.. need to correct you on a few points..

article talks about heat management in general, specifically

- heat dissipated onto the rider... on your legs...

- busa was ridden & tested in california, NOT Canada as you state - only 49 state PC gear was installed in Canada for obvious reasons (also stated in the article)

- "after riding his Busa up in Canada in the cooler, denser air." - this is simply not true

- dyno runs were at 70' ambient, sea level (stated in video)

- 14's that overheated were NOT "brand new and still breaking in" - they had several thousand miles on them and were already broken in (stated in previous article)

- the same CANT be sad for the 14 when it comes to rider comfort / heat dissipated onto the rider.

not sure where you're getting your info from, but everything I'm stating is in both reviews - please dont make stuff up... if you're unclear on these points, I'm happy to append the article to clarify.

As you can see, the photos are in California. Not Canada.

Ninja_Knight

Zone Head
posted May 12, 2009 04:55 AM        
Bah! They're both awesome rides. 14 or Busa - when will the turf war end? My friend's niece was hurt by when a stray bullet grazed her shoulder because a Busa/ZX14 debate got a little too hot. Okay, the last part was a lie.
2009 B&O Special Edition, Brock's CF Gen 3 Exhaust, Dark Smoke ZG Double Bubble Windshield, PCIII, Muzzy Fan, Heli Risers, Throttlemeister Heavy, Nautilus Stebel Horn, Waiting on HID's and Tinted Signal Lens

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted May 12, 2009 05:16 AM        
I have ridden both, and found the the editorial honest and realistic....

Both have their advantages and disadvantages...
Some other key notes from a performance perspective:

- I like the case, cylinder and crank stability of a monoblock engine. It truly is superior in every mechanical and physical manner, but more difficult to work on.

-The busa head is designed, and can be modified to produce more power than the zx14 design allows.
- The zx14 crank, clutch, and transmission are superior right out of the box, for stock purposes, and especially when an adddtional 100 HP power adder is used.

They are both great bikes though, and if I already owned a busa, I probably wouldn't sell it for a zx14 either to be honest. Both are great platforms.

That said I still prefer the zx14 asthetically, and prefer the zx14 ergonomically for my body type. On the performance note... well I want the stout bottom end and monoblock design too. Oh, and the zx14 brakes... mmmmagical !

the music posted here truly SUX Oh Henry though...

Ignore this member   
DogoZX

Expert Class
posted May 12, 2009 05:19 AM        Edited By: DogoZX on 12 May 2009 19:23
Good writeup.
Whether it was meant to be or not, it does come across as biased. Just seems to me you made sure to point out all of the 14's low points. Don't see how they belonged in a longterm test review for the Bus unless you were hoping some of us zx14 guys would get a little heated.

I still think it's interesting that you think the Bus is more comfy and the zx14 is more sporty. You are the only person I've heard with this opinion, and I have heard the contrary many times.
How tall are you Fish?.... I'd have to guess 7' plus.... you mention draggin' your knee.... but your tires still have quite a bit of unused sidewall???.... just f*ckin' with ya.... I'm sure you put new ones on for the pics.

BTW, looks to me like a set of zx14 calipers would bolt right onto that Bus.

Ignore this member   
Hawkman

Zone Head
posted May 12, 2009 05:19 AM        
Fish, I stand corrected on my inaccuracies. I'm going off of memory.

Those pics don't look like the Busa was in Southern California. Looks like a lot of cooler weather also. When did you test the Busa and where in California?

Did you not ride the 14 in SoCal/Las Vegas when it was some crazy 100+ temperature?

Basically...did you put the Busa through the same heat/torture trial that you did with the 14?

Ignore this member   
Hawkman

Zone Head
posted May 12, 2009 05:25 AM        Edited By: Hawkman on 12 May 2009 19:33
quote:

- busa was ridden & tested in california, NOT Canada as you state - only 49 state PC gear was installed in Canada for obvious reasons (also stated in the article)

- "after riding his Busa up in Canada in the cooler, denser air." - this is simply not true

Hey Fish, the dyno sheets say M.A.S. Dyno Service. I googled that and it comes up with a 604 area code...Vancouver, BC.

The pics you posted has your bike with British Columbia plates. The pic of the exhaust on your driveway shows a vehicle in the driveway with B.C. plates.

Are you bullshitting here, or what?

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted May 12, 2009 05:50 AM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 12 May 2009 19:54
Again, READ the article... the article states both where the busa was dyno'd (canada - and why).. there was no need to google where MAS is, as it tells you in the article..

as well it states ( i believe) where it was ridden (california)... and yes.. the busa was ridden throughout california all last season, and yes - in 105'+ temps, as well as up and down the coast of cali (you can see the coast in the pix).. it's not "cold" in those pix.. in fact it's fuckin damn scorching.. that's smoke from all the forest fires last season making it overcast... my helmet still smells like hickory.

so, again if these points were'nt clear enough I'm happy to update the article to make it even clearer, but I thought it was spelled out already.

the smoke and the forest fire is what's giving the bike that wonderful orange glow in this shot...
in fact you can see the orange sun trying to burn through the smoke being reflected in the bike...

FYI even 1.5 hours ride from Vancouver, it's a desert with 100' ++ temps so it's really a bit of a moot point.

No one is making anything up... not sure why you think they are?

dogo.... personally I dont see a bias... I see strong and weak points of both bikes... the 14 is relevant in comparison, and if it wasnt included, people would ask why it wasnt... FYI the review is live in both the busa and 14 sections of the site so there are owners of both on the site.

thekaz

Needs a job
posted May 12, 2009 06:02 AM        
quote:
quote:

Hey Fish, the dyno sheets say M.A.S. Dyno Service. I googled that and it comes up with a 604 area code...Vancouver, BC.

The pics you posted has your bike with British Columbia plates. The pic of the exhaust on your driveway shows a vehicle in the driveway with B.C. plates.

Are you bullshitting here, or what?

So Fish lives here in British Columbia and at some point rode this Busa down/around California ???? Its only 10 or so hours ride to the California border
What's the big deal BRO ??? just becuase some riders think nothing of putting thousands of miles on their bikes per season you think Fish is bullshitting ???

Ignore this member   
Hawkman

Zone Head
posted May 12, 2009 06:18 AM        
Dude...you stated in your reply to me "busa was ridden & tested in california, NOT Canada".

You live in Canada. Your bike is registered in Canada. You dyno'd the bike in Canada. How the hell was in not ridden in Canada??

Your defense of the Busa and your article only substantiates people's opinion that you're biased and the review was biased. But you don't want to believe it.

I'm done playing he said she said.

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted May 12, 2009 06:20 AM        
Clearly the article states that the bike was ridden in california, and dyno'd in canada.

DO you have a problem with this? Does this make the conclusions in the article more or less valid?

I'm not sure what the conspiracy here is?

**confused**

thekaz

Needs a job
posted May 12, 2009 06:28 AM        
Maybe 70 degrees and sea level in Canada is different than 70 degrees and sea level in California ?
  Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted May 12, 2009 06:28 AM        
This your personal bike, right Fish? I guess that would make you biased in the eyes of some.

I'm not saying you are biased...

Ignore this member   
Hawkman

Zone Head
posted May 12, 2009 06:43 AM        
70 degrees and sea level in Canada and along the coast of California is a lot different than the 100+ degree desert riding he did with the 14.

My point is this. It's his personal bike. He rides it in Canada. So he rode it in northern California and along the coast. That's nothing compared to the extreme heat he put the 14 through when he rode it in Los Angeles and Las Vegas, yet he bags on it saying the heat management isn't up to snuff like the Busa. That may be so, but put it up to the same rigors you did with the 14. Fish didn't. I know he didn't. And that's all I'm saying.

I live and ride in Los Angeles all year long and I've never had any heat issues with my 14 when it was stock, when it was slightly modded with Brock's exhaust, and now that I have a turbo 14. But I never did a 250 mile road trip to Las Vegas when it was something like 110 degrees out. If the Busa can handle that...kudos to Suzuki. I know I couldn't. I'm done after a couple hours of canyon riding in 85-90 degree temps.

Ignore this member   
bigdtd

Needs a job
Interceptors
posted May 12, 2009 06:50 AM        
which one is smoother, which one vibrates more?
2006 Black ZX-14,6 inches over,16/42, flies out,BMC Street Filter,Brock's Street Meg,Brock's Radial Mount Strap,PClll with Race map,Dynojet LCD w/Techmount, ZX-14 fender eliminator,Pilot Power2CTs,Speedohealer,Pazzo Levers,Cox Radiator Guard, Garmin Nuvi 265WT

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted May 12, 2009 07:00 AM        
quote:

- I like the case, cylinder and crank stability of a monoblock engine. It truly is superior in every mechanical and physical manner, but more difficult to work on.

enlighten me on the more diffucult .. cause ive pulled pistons with only removal of head and oil pan .. other than boring its all the same stuff ..

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 5 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > BIKE CHAT > Thread: Suzuki\'s 2nd Gen Hayabusa – Bikeland’s Longterm Review NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.38200092315674 seconds processing time