HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: Ducati Releases 2014 Superleggera 200hp Superbike NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Staff

Administrator
posted October 22, 2013 11:10 AM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 22 Oct 2013 19:14
Ducati Releases 2014 Superleggera 200hp Superbike

As the great Economic Divide of 2014 model year releases continue - Ducati releases more high end kit with their new 200hp Superbike - Will there be any middle ground for MY2014 - currently bookended by the Honda Grom and the Superleggera?

Photos and words from Ducati follow..

2014 DUCATI 1199 SUPERLEGGERA
Created without limits, to inspire unlimited desire

Celebrating the Italian manufacturer’s commitment to performance technology and lightweight construction, Ducati now proudly introduces its latest limited edition dream model, the highly exclusive 1199 Superleggera. The new machine combines a precious cocktail of materials such as titanium, magnesium and carbon fibre to set the highest power-to-weight ratio of any production motorcycle in history. Producing more than 200hp and weighing-in at just 155kg* (341.7lb*), Ducati showcase their innovative engineering and stylish approach to design, while affirming the maxim: “Authentic Italian Performance”.

The Superleggera follows in the successful wheel tracks of previous iconic limited editions, like the Desmosedici RR, with its exclusivity boldly underlined with just 500 examples of this extraordinary machine being assembled at Ducati’s headquarters in Bologna, Italy, each with its own individual number inscribed on the top clamp.

With its baseline starting from the already impressive 1199 Panigale ‘R’ specification, the Superleggera incorporates a magnesium monocoque frame and forged Marchesini magnesium wheels before taking lightweight to the extreme with a carbon fibre rear sub-frame and bodywork, lithium-ion battery (LIB) and full titanium exhaust system with stainless steel headers. Many of the bolts and fasteners on both engine and chassis are also fashioned in titanium. Additional enhancements include lightweight Öhlins FL916 front suspension with fully-machined fork bottoms and an Öhlins TTX36 rear suspension with titanium spring. The Superleggera’s Brembo M50 Monobloc brakes inherit a racing-style MCS 19-21 front master cylinder and remote adjuster and its final drive gets upgraded with a lightweight Ergal rear sprocket, and World Superbike-spec 520 drive chain. Finer attention to detail is hidden in the shape of the carbon fibre body work, which is moulded with the same high-penetration form normally provided by the “R” spec add-on aero-kit.

The Superquadro engine, which sports titanium con-rods and inlet valves, now adds titanium exhaust valves, and, for the first time on a Ducati street engine, special two-ring pistons. These pistons, usually found on racing Superbikes, use short skirts and only two rings (compression and oil), allowing them to dramatically reduce mass and friction. To further increase performance, the combustion chamber is also modified to Superbike specs by a new piston crown that increases compression ratio. Added to this is a super-lightened crankshaft, precision balanced using dense tungsten inserts. The enhancements result in an incredible output of more than 200hp as it rolls out of Ducati’s Borgo Panigale factory in Bologna, Italy.

The Superleggera’s outstanding power-to-weight ratio can be enhanced even further with the supplied track-only Race Kit**. The kit, which increases power by 5hp and reduces weight by 2.5kg (5.5 lb), consists of a titanium Akrapovič race exhaust system including silencers and 2-in-1 collector, high racing windscreen, dedicated dust cover, front and rear paddock stands, machined mirror fill-caps, and removal kits for the registration plate holder, and sidestand.

The model’s electronics are also upgraded thanks to the new system for managing front-wheel lift Ducati Wheelie Control (DWC) which is based on an Inertial Platform. This DWC system, along with Ducati Traction Control (DTC) and Engine Brake Control (EBC), is optimized with new automatic calibration of rear-tyre size and final transmission ratio. The Ducati Data Analysis+ (DDA+) system adds an additional sensor and software channel to record and display vehicle lean angles. This impressive array of included electronics is completed by a set of race-derived, handlebar mounted control buttons to enable rapid, on-track adjustments to the levels of the pre-selected channels of DTS, DWC, or EBC.

Appropriate to its highly exclusive status as one of the most exotic and desirable Ducatis of all time, the 1199 Superleggera is exquisitely dressed in Ducati Corse Red base livery, complemented with forged and machined magnesium wheels.

*Dry weight **Track use only

1199 Superleggera features
Chassis
 Magnesium monocoque
 Magnesium wheels
 Carbon-fibre rear sub-frame
 Öhlins FL916 front suspension
 Öhlins TTX36 rear suspension with titanium spring
 Single-sided swingarm with 4-way adjustable pivot
 Brembo MCS 19-21 front master cylinder
 Carbon fibre bodywork
 Individual number engraved on the top clamp
Engine
 Superquadro: L-twin cylinder, 4 titanium valves per cylinder, Desmodromic, liquid cooled
 World Superbike-style pistons with 2 rings and crown modified for an increased compression ratio
 Lightweight crankshaft with tungsten balance inserts
 Titanium connecting rods
 Full titanium exhaust system
Electronics
 Ducati Traction Control with automatic tyre size recalibration (DTC)
 Ducati Wheelie Control (DWC)
 Dedicated handlebar buttons for on-track adjustment of DTC, DWC or EBC
 Ducati Data Analyser+ with lean sensor (DDA+)
 Ducati Quick Shifter (DQS)
 Engine Brake Control (EBC)
 Riding Modes
 Ride-by-Wire
 Full LED lighting
 Full TFT instrumentation
 Lithium-ion battery (LIB)
Race kit
 Dust cover
 Front and rear paddock stands
 License plate holder removal kit
 High racing windscreen
 Sidestand removal kit
 Machined mirror fill-caps
 Full race exhaust system by Akrapovič.

Source: Bikeland.org

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Staff's homepage. 
ronaldnnn

Novice Class

posted October 22, 2013 04:22 PM        
Top shelf, and I'm sure it is "mega bucks"...

Ignore this member   
cliffrandall

Zone Head
posted October 22, 2013 05:07 PM        Edited By: cliffrandall on 23 Oct 2013 01:10
Nice canvas for my next project!!
Cliff

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 22, 2013 07:18 PM        
Tasty but pricey!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
Gunner

Needs a life
posted October 23, 2013 06:53 PM        
I think I just had a moment !

Ignore this member   
Ninja14

Pro
posted October 24, 2013 08:51 AM        
Be even faster due to your personal weight reduction..............empty wallet and one kidney short.

Ignore this member   
MotoCycho

Expert Class
posted October 24, 2013 10:02 AM        
quote:
Cliff

Not sure what you could do that Duccati hasn't already thought of on this one.

Ignore this member   
hagrid

Expert Class
posted October 24, 2013 03:52 PM        
quote:
quote:
Cliff

Hard bags storing nitrous oxide and a steering damper.

Cliff's MO.

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted October 24, 2013 04:48 PM        
quote:
quote:
quote:
Cliff

Cliff's MO.

You forgot to mention procure sponsors willing to give him free stuff, bump his thread every week or 2 and then jam his sponsors down everyone's throat.....

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 25, 2013 06:15 AM        
Meeeooowww

Ninja14

Pro
posted October 25, 2013 09:12 AM        
I'm sure most of them will never see hard use. They end up as displays in some fashion.

Ignore this member   
carabuser

Novice Class
posted October 25, 2013 11:54 AM        
From www.asphaltandrubber.com :

Pricing in the US will be $65,000, with priority said to be given to Desmosedici RR, Panigale R, and Panigale S Tricolore owners, in that order.

Ignore this member   
Ninja14

Pro
posted October 25, 2013 12:32 PM        
Of course it will............b/c they already have shown to have too much money LoL

I think I'd still rather have the Desmo RR. I've seen and heard it in the canyons here........awesome.

Ignore this member   
zixxer14

Pro
Damn that was Quick
posted October 28, 2013 05:37 AM        
The desmosedici didn't turn into a very good investment, $75k new & I've seen them selling for under $50k. Still I'd love to throttle the shit out of one of them.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit zixxer14's homepage. 
Gunner

Needs a life
posted October 31, 2013 04:22 PM        
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Cliff

Cliff's MO.

You forgot to mention procure sponsors willing to give him free stuff, bump his thread every week or 2 and then jam his sponsors down everyone's throat.....

Nothing against Cliff but his choice to use anything Muzzy has a hand in making shows lack of desire to use the best parts money can buy.. But if they are free I guess one can't complain..

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted November 02, 2013 06:10 AM        
where are the mirrors?

Gunner

Needs a life
posted November 14, 2013 07:28 PM        
quote:
where are the mirrors?

What's behind you isn't important! It's in your past

Ignore this member   
gobrian77

Novice Class
posted December 03, 2013 09:29 PM        
I saw the Superleggera at the Bangkok Motor Expo a couple days ago- it was up on a pedestal so no one could sit on it- it was so tiny I actually thought it was a miniature model for display purposes only, but it was the real thing. It's $127,000 here in Thailand, and we're getting ten of them imported- most are already spoken for.
  Ignore this member   
cliffrandall

Zone Head
posted December 04, 2013 05:28 AM        
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Cliff

Cliff's MO.

Nothing against Cliff but his choice to use anything Muzzy has a hand in making shows lack of desire to use the best parts money can buy.. But if they are free I guess one can't complain..

Steady Lads.......Like the 14 project and all of my builds that came before it, they were 'different' and each affected the industry accordingly - both the mags and our sponsors loved it. The Ducati would be no different if I decided to work with them. First look, I'd "Miami Beach it" - 'flat' white, stretched, lowered with a turbo.....Diametrically opposed to it's original 1% road race (showcase)design.
Cliff

Ignore this member   
vailes3705

Expert Class
Gettin Better
posted December 08, 2013 05:26 PM        
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Cliff

Cliff's MO.

Steady Lads.......Like the 14 project and all of my builds that came before it, they were 'different' and each affected the industry accordingly - both the mags and our sponsors loved it. The Ducati would be no different if I decided to work with them. First look, I'd "Miami Beach it" - 'flat' white, stretched, lowered with a turbo.....Diametrically opposed to it's original 1% road race (showcase)design.
Cliff

A stretched, lowered, Ducati with a turbo? Now that would be AWESOME!!! That would be a Ducati worth owning...
1.46 60ft

Ignore this member   
customface

Parking Attendant
posted January 07, 2014 05:14 PM        
That is one mean looking and performance bike. Ducati is really know for being exotic and sexy.
  Ignore this member   
Knewjack

Novice Class
posted January 07, 2014 08:17 PM        
Why do you guys hate on Cliff so? I think it's cool to see some unique work. Love or hate it, at least it makes a statement.
  Ignore this member   
jessejames4

Parking Attendant
posted June 20, 2014 05:14 PM        
quote:
I saw the Superleggera at the Bangkok Motor Expo a couple days ago- it was up on a pedestal so no one could sit on it- it was so tiny I actually thought it was a miniature model for display purposes only, but it was the real thing. It's $127,000 here in Thailand, and we're getting ten of them imported- most are already spoken for.

I went up to New Haven Power Sports (In Ct) to get some tires mounted and took a look at the Ducati's.
I will agree that they are beautifully designed and are in a class by themselves but I could not get over how small and tiny they are. I'm 6'1" at 175 lbs and I would look ridiculous on this bike.

97 ZX110
06 ZX 14

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: Ducati Releases 2014 Superleggera 200hp Superbike NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.29865002632141 seconds processing time