HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: Just in case Kawasaki is actually listening....Gen 1 alternator failures NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Thread: Just in case Kawasaki is actually listening....Gen 1 alternator failures
Eric_The_Jew

Expert Class
posted April 15, 2012 10:39 PM        
Just in case Kawasaki is actually listening....Gen 1 alternator failures

I know several of the Kawasaki insiders used to frequent this board, but since they don't seem to respond to PMs anymore from us peasants, I figured I'd throw this hail Mary just in case anyone is reading who knows somebody who knows somebody who might be able to help.

So not only is Kawasaki failing to tell me the vin series of the '04 models with the faulty alternator design, they can't even tell me how many total '04 models were even produced. It's kinda sketchy when a company seems this secretive. For christs sake, I can google how many Camaros were made in 1968 with no problems. What's different about a bike?

Anyway, I would like to know if I am riding a ticking time bomb or not. It is my understanding that when the alternator goes, the engine can suddenly lose power and die, resulting in a possible crash or injury. Wow, my wording sounds strangely familiar to that found in SAFETY RECALLS! With my amount of interstate commuting, I am genuinely concerned this could be a safety related issue. I simply want to buy the new parts to fix it before we get to that point.. I don't, however, want to tear the bike apart only to find out my bike has the new alternator design to begin with!

My research has only revealed that Kawasaki changed the design "somewhere in the middle" of the 04 production run, although I have never seen an official source for this info. I want to whittle down a possible VIN range based off of those '04 owners who have had failures and those who have not.

So it's simple. If you have (or have had) an 04:

Post the last 4 or 5 digits of your vin and whether or not your alternator has been replaced. The mileage on the bike when the alternator failed would also be beneficial if you have it.

Thanks

I'll start it off. My bike's vin ends in 8600. I have 2,000 miles and it has not failed as of yet

Ignore this member   
zx12mark

Pro
posted April 16, 2012 07:03 AM        
an 04 with 2000 miles........give me a break.just ride the fucker and be happy you got a bike.do you think your power steering is gonna go out.get real already.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit zx12mark's homepage. 
Eric_The_Jew

Expert Class
posted April 16, 2012 07:16 AM        Edited By: Eric_The_Jew on 16 Apr 2012 14:17
Hey doucher, I do ride my bikes, usually to the tune of 8-10K miles per year. I purchased this roughly 1 month ago, but thanks for your concern.

Ignore this member   
zx12mark

Pro
posted April 16, 2012 09:37 AM        
you should be more concerned about crashing from a tyre blow out than your stator going out....your on your own out here in the jungle.power wheelies fix everything............
Eric_The_Jew

Expert Class
posted April 16, 2012 09:45 AM        
Been hitting the bottle a little too much, Mark? Must've been a long night playing 80's metal at the honky tonk last night huh? Shouldn't you be doing something productive today, like getting that mullet trimmed? Not sure what you're talking about regarding "tyres." The originals already got replaced with Q2's. Any other things bothering you that you'd like clarification on?

Ignore this member   
zx12mark

Pro
posted April 16, 2012 09:59 AM        
never mind.let somebody else hold your hand
Silver Hawk

Zone Head
addition to riding no rehab4me
posted April 17, 2012 03:02 AM        
and reason why you purchased a 2004 model in 2012?
2012 Concours ABS 5k in 1 month..Sold
2011 ZX 10r 2k in 1 month...Sold..
2012 ZX 10R ABS black and red 144 miles as of 4-23-2013 and KEEPING IT!!!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Silver Hawk's homepage. 
Eric_The_Jew

Expert Class
posted April 17, 2012 05:29 AM        
What's with all the goddamn questions? The same reason I purchased a 1974 RD350 in 2012.....cause I wanted to!

Ignore this member   
Eric_The_Jew

Expert Class
posted April 17, 2012 05:31 AM        
Now I'd prefer to keep this on topic so please direct any inputs from the peanut gallery to my PM's.

Ignore this member   
Silver Hawk

Zone Head
addition to riding no rehab4me
posted April 17, 2012 08:25 PM        
ummm u get what u paid for?..problems.
2012 Concours ABS 5k in 1 month..Sold
2011 ZX 10r 2k in 1 month...Sold..
2012 ZX 10R ABS black and red 144 miles as of 4-23-2013 and KEEPING IT!!!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Silver Hawk's homepage. 
Eric_The_Jew

Expert Class
posted April 18, 2012 04:51 AM        
Those with generator failures and cracked frame issues on 1st gen models should all fill out an online complaint form with NHTSA at the following link:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted April 18, 2012 10:09 PM        
Lots of people at KMC have been culled. Not sure who's left who frequents the site. Lots of ex-employees for sure though.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted April 19, 2012 07:46 PM        
talked to someone today.... they said they'd visit your thread

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
Eric_The_Jew

Expert Class
posted April 20, 2012 05:26 AM        
Thanks fish...you da man.

Ignore this member   
Kneeburner

Expert Class
posted April 27, 2012 01:44 PM        Edited By: Kneeburner on 27 Apr 2012 20:47
I have an 04 10R. I purchased new at the end of the model year so i'm sure its fixed I've had no problems with the bike. I know a couple of people that have had stator failures though. Mine is a trackbike only these days but has had zero issues.......On the other hand I got a recall notice on my 08 10R and had to have the voltage regulator replaced. Ofcourse it was Kawi's dime.......

Ignore this member   
All times are PST(US) < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: Just in case Kawasaki is actually listening....Gen 1 alternator failures NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.230150938034 seconds processing time