HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: Kawasaki Rumored to Announce All New 2012 ZX-14 Soon NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Bently

Needs a life
2012 14r In Blue and no Mods!
posted March 20, 2011 06:27 AM        
quote:
quote:
quote:

Define your accusation of exaggeration.

If you couldn't see it when you wrote it, you won't see it no matter what I might say.

Shane

What I wrote SHANE, is exactly what I have expirienced with my 12 over the last decade. Let me guess.......the Busa mentality finds it hard to believe that a mostly stock Eye Abusa with a low boost (4-6) lbs. making 200 h.p. could not possibly be outrun by a "Stock Looking" 1270cc 12. Yes, they complain......"you put in a piston kit". OK, so?!?"you still have 30cc's on me".

Yeah, that what's the Busa owner out here in Phoenix could not believe either. Funny how reality thumps you on the melon as that slow embarassment of of 12 just slowly pulls away and you cannot catch it! But I have a TURBO Busa! WTF!

It's been loads of fun for me too. Busa after busa gets schooled on what is truly fast. Actually, the newer 1000's like G1K and 10R put up more of a fight.

Saw it comming SHANE. That's why I posted.

So what kind of power is your 12 making?

Ignore this member   
psycho1122

Pro
posted March 20, 2011 06:49 AM        
Back in the day when she was a bit younger with a fresher engine 202 h.p.

Now days she will put down 190-198 depnding on the Dyno and day.

The beauty of the engine is torque! 100 ft. lbs. by 4,000 with a peak of 111. I have about 15,000 miles on the build.

The totaly sealed Ram Air works real nice too!

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted March 20, 2011 07:15 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 20 Mar 2011 14:19
quote:

What I wrote SHANE, is exactly what I have expirienced with my 12 over the last decade. Let me guess.......the Busa mentality finds it hard to believe that a mostly stock Eye Abusa with a low boost (4-6) lbs. making 200 h.p. could not possibly be outrun by a "Stock Looking" 1270cc 12. Yes, they complain......"you put in a piston kit". OK, so?!?"you still have 30cc's on me".

It's not the "Busa" mentality in my case. I think I am pretty aware of the performance capabilities of these machines. I have a pretty strong 1287cc 12R myself. I also have a 14, and Racheal was running a Turbo Busa with a stock head, rods and pistons (at up to 20 psi). I think I am fairly unbiased regarding performance claims, really.

Rather than debate your 12R, I'm really more interested in the new 14!

Ignore this member   
ZX14Mike

Zone Head
posted March 20, 2011 10:31 AM        
I'm just speculating here.........but if Jim is right and Kawasaki makes a ZX 14 with a BIG head and Big cams, then wouldnt they also need to do something to get some of that lowend torque they would likely sacrifice back...........like raising the compression and maybe increasing the stroke?
  Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted March 20, 2011 10:46 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 20 Mar 2011 17:47
quote:
I'm just speculating here.........but if Jim is right and Kawasaki makes a ZX 14 with a BIG head and Big cams, then wouldnt they also need to do something to get some of that lowend torque they would likely sacrifice back...........like raising the compression and maybe increasing the stroke?

Possibly, but there are also a lot of other options with electronic controls...such as variable length intake stacks, exhaust "power valves", etc, etc, etc.....really hard to say.

On thing is for sure...if we get the BNG treatment, or just traction control...well, it will be disappointing. On the other hand, I will be very surprised if they produce a completely new machine.

Ignore this member   
ZX14Mike

Zone Head
posted March 20, 2011 11:05 AM        
Shane I've also considered various electronic controls like you stated also...........however if I was Kawasaki and I was doing a totally new redesign I would implement the changes like stroke and piston design right away so no costly production changes would be required when they do an update..........then halfway through the production cycle say 3-4 years they can very simply, easily and cost effectively implement those electronic changes to turn up the wick and increade power.

The Zx 12 production was 5 years...........the Busa ran for 9 years with no real updates..........a 2012 ZX 14 would be 6 years so that could be possible......after all Kawasaki does need to recoup R&D costs and the big bores dont sell as well as the smaller bikes...........many would argue that in this economy Kawasaki should wait longer for a redesign.........I think the opposite as a few here have stated they NEED a bold groudbreaking redesign with shocking amounts of power that gets people excited to make people ante up for a new bike.

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted March 20, 2011 11:08 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 20 Mar 2011 18:09
Regarding the engine...my thoughts are that electronics are easier/cheaper for them to implement than major tooling changes. So, while it would be great to see a bigger engine, with wider bore centers, better cylinder head, big tb's and cams, etc...I just don't think it will happen. After all, the 14 is not a pure, hard-edged sportbike. That is what the 10R is for...

Time will tell.

Ignore this member   
ZX14Mike

Zone Head
posted March 20, 2011 11:18 AM        
Ok......I see what your saying now........my premise was that if they WERE actually doing a total redesign like Jim implied then they would likely implement all the major tooling changes right away and then save the low hanging fruit meaning easy electronic tweaks for the midcycle update.

But I agree with you I think simple electronic changes are far more likely..........groundbreaking designs like the ZX 11 or Busa are few and far between.

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted March 20, 2011 11:36 AM        
Kawi could easly do what zooky did in 08 , add 2 mill stroke .. Take the same head and add larger buckets and cams ... No real retooling needed ... I'm sure TBs cost the same to make and doesn't matter if it 44s or 47s ..
I think we need to remember the zx14 is Kawi flagship bike .. If i were to take a guess i would say Kawi will shoot for 10 + HP over the Gen 2 busa just like they did with the first gen zx14 over the first gen busa .. It would take a few years Zook to fire back just like what happened in 06 with the zx14 . Take in to mind that Zook has fallen on hard times and now that Japan is badly crippled it may take much longer for zooky to fire back .. If there is a new zx14 it has been in planning for a few years and is not just paper sitting on a drawing board..
Who knows , maybe zook has a new killer busa waiting in the wings also.. Time will tell ..

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted March 20, 2011 11:44 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 20 Mar 2011 18:45
Even without changing the buckets they could put some pretty good cams in there. Maybe the larger throttle bodies, a slightly revised head, and 2mm of stroke. Definitely a big jump in power, even with those mild changes. I will be floored if the engine is an all-new design!
  Ignore this member   
ZX14Mike

Zone Head
posted March 20, 2011 12:19 PM        
I believe adding 2 mil of stroke would make it a nice round 1399cc

To me it would make ALOT of sense to redesign it with Big cams, Big buckets, Big heads like Jim said and make a 220-230 horse bike then limit it with the ECU and electronics to say 15 horsepower more than now then after 3-4 years turn up the wick on the ECU and gain another 15 horsepower very simply and very easily and after another 3-4 years do the same thing...........that way almost all the major R&D has been done and you have a 9-12 year cycle to recoup those R &D costs with essentialy the same basic design.

Ignore this member   
IMFASTTOO

Zone Head
posted March 20, 2011 09:35 PM        
YEP KAWASAKI would do well to add about 30hp to the 14 so it could keep up with the new 1000s
  Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted March 21, 2011 07:21 AM        
quote:
YEP KAWASAKI would do well to add about 30hp to the 14 so it could keep up with the new 1000s
30 hp would be nice but we are not going to see that .. We may see 10 to 15 HP at most ..

Ignore this member   
DogoZX

Expert Class
posted March 21, 2011 07:55 AM        
Here's a scan of the MCN article. Kinda tough to read... but doesn't say much anyhow.

Ignore this member   
serius blk

Zone Head
posted March 21, 2011 11:14 AM        
i swear that bike looks like one of those octo robot droids off of the matrix. what were they called?
  Ignore this member   
bad ass 14

Expert Class
posted March 21, 2011 11:17 AM        
Damn, no more power ? Why even bother buyin it.

Ignore this member   
Vertigo99

Novice Class
posted March 21, 2011 12:25 PM        
Thanks for posting the article. Now I get a closer look, I can put my wallet away. Bringing technology from the C14 over won't set any hearts racing, they should have shared the 10R tech.

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted March 21, 2011 12:46 PM        
I wouldn't count on that being the product that KHI produces.
  Ignore this member   
vic

Novice Class
posted March 21, 2011 04:06 PM        
quote:
quote:
quote "I have to call em like i see em.........the fact that the only change highlighted is FU%^n Traction Control tells me Kawi is totally out of touch with what its loyal customer base REALLY wants.............." Do you really thing kawasaki is out of touch with what people want?Do you realize that this company is global and what makes them a succes is the fact that they do understand what people want.If they didnt understand how long would this company stay in this biz?Maybe not on this site there not all what people want but the world over I think they have what the majority of people want.The japanese are very intelligent I dont think most people have a clue what it takes to build something like a zx14 from the ground up because there easy to modify but over all much thought gos into the engineering and whats cost affective.

Ummm yeah so I guess thats why the Busa is outselling the ZX 14 substantially...............like I said I dont want ABS or traction control or a bike that is neutered in the first 3 gears........needless to say I wont be buying a new bike for a long time till they build what I want.

I'll just keep my 2006 ZX 14 and modify it like KAWI should!!

Ignore this member   
Flame On

Needs a life
Fuel Air & Spark
posted March 21, 2011 04:31 PM        
No real growth yet for being 6 years old. Sales may suffer for that extra priced stuff that may add up to be a 13-14K retail price. Yet they could have ask more for a ZX15 Super no prob in the 16-17K range.

Ignore this member   
vic

Novice Class
posted March 21, 2011 04:38 PM        
well I just bought a 2009 ZX14 burnt orange /black special edition . My last bike was a 1996 ZX11D my second D model, my first D model was a 93. now the only reason I skipped the ZX12 was the mono cube frame. So kawasaki put the borg cube, mono cube frame on the ZX14 again dam, what happened to beauty and function E box aluminium frame? What, is kawasaki's engineers claiming it's lighter, All take the E box aluminium frame over the borg cube if it's adding 5 LB to the bike. All just starve for a week to shed the 5 LB, or kawasaki can maybe take the 40LB exhaust anchors off and put a 4 into 1 exhaust system.
My point being,I hope for the 2012 ZX14, kawasaki didn't change the frame back too the E box aluminium. Other wise my 09 is going on the sales market LOL! PS everyone, it's ok to be a pycho speed maniac, long as you can conceal it when the cops are around LOL. be safe and have a great riding season, I can't wait !!!!!

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted March 21, 2011 04:56 PM        
quote:
Damn, no more power ? Why even bother buyin it.

so you can have a bike with the front profile of a CBR 1K

Ignore this member   
zx14fan

Zone Head
posted March 21, 2011 05:35 PM        
You could see some changes my guess it will be for the most part cosmetics maybe abs but I doubt you will see hp gains if so they will probably be very small gains.The factory knows how to make power that seems to be in question here with all the ideas on how to go about that process I think its obvious thats not entirely their goal.there are a few reasons why this is clearly the case but going into that on this thread creates much hate.
  Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted March 21, 2011 05:54 PM        
quote:
.there are a few reasons why this is clearly the case but going into that on this thread creates much hate.

YEAH LET .. KHI do a Goldwing Valkyrie duo.. then after the connie pulls sales from the zx they can discontinue one ..

Ignore this member   
ZX14Mike

Zone Head
posted March 21, 2011 06:35 PM        
quote:
You could see some changes my guess it will be for the most part cosmetics maybe abs but I doubt you will see hp gains if so they will probably be very small gains.The factory knows how to make power that seems to be in question here with all the ideas on how to go about that process I think its obvious thats not entirely their goal.there are a few reasons why this is clearly the case but going into that on this thread creates much hate.

Really..........please tell us EXACTLY who was implying the factory DOESNT know how to make power?.............more strawman arguments from a lying troll just like your implying that people that dont agree with you are "creating hate"

What many have said OVER and OVER again is that while Kawasaki may know very well how to make lots of power..........apparently they dont know how to give their customers what they REALLY want or sell lots of bikes........and for some reason you seem to want to derail that discussion with all your strawman BS.

So ZX14fan why dont you change your tampon and take a nice long dooche..............hows that for hate troll!!!!

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 6 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5  6     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: Kawasaki Rumored to Announce All New 2012 ZX-14 Soon NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.712277173996 seconds processing time