HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: back on 2 wheels NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
dragon rider

Novice Class
Dragon Rider
posted August 30, 2008 04:50 AM        
back on 2 wheels

Just bought a 2008 zx10r, sold my red 2005 last spring thinking I needed to rethink how I was riding, bought a convertable thinking I could replace the bike but I was wrong. Just doing some upgrades, installed a fender eliminator last night (rumble concepts). Looks good, takes about 5 pounds off the back of the bike, man the stock unit is heavy. The LED's are very bright works great! Have a full akrapovic ordered and power commander and should have it installed next weekend. Big difference in 05-08. 08 is smoother but the 05 is more explosive. The throttle is easier to turn on the 08, the seat isnt as comfortable but thats no big deal. It is not as wheelie prone, the 05 wheelied all the time, passing cars, hit a bump, anytime first 3 gears u were on the gas. I find you have to get up on the pipe abit before the bike feels like lifting the front. Passing cars no tendancy to wheelie but I just got it, not really hammering it too hard yet as I am breaking it in. hehe. Ok a little. I made sure to load up the pistons first 40miles, hard on the gas and off the gas. 2-5 th gears. but not too high in the RPM/s, around 6000 shut it off. will let you know how it feels once I get comfortable with the handling. It turns different than the 05. The transitions are smoother, more predictable. I havnt ridden with Pirellis before so uncertain on heating times and grip so I have to experiment. We dont have any tracks close so I will have to pick a quiet place to ride fast where there are no homes and decent curves. Took abit to get past the front looks, but all other views of the bike are great! The headlights at night are 10times better than the 05. My daughter said she had to turn her mirrors down in her truck as the lights were too bright and that was low beam. Should get out riding today. Thought I would check in say hello.

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted August 30, 2008 09:23 PM        
congrats on the sweet bike! have you tamed the dragon with it yet?
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
dragon rider

Novice Class
Dragon Rider
posted August 31, 2008 03:56 AM        
Not yet but next year. I live in Canada. I would have to leave my business for more than a week so planning is essential. Well yesterday I finally uncorked the bike. The bike power wheelies through second and abit in third, So still cant steer passing hehe, use some body english, had to let off once as the bike was drifting right. Line it back up the hit it again. The cornering is sweet. Same corners on my 05 felt on edge. Had to work hard to keep it online. The 08 just brought silly grins. I hit a corner same speed as the 05 and think that was easy. Mostly sweepers but looking at the speedo and saying wow, I still could go faster and it still would be easy. Eventually I will learn the bike. Once the bike hits 8000rpm then it becomes something else. It does not wheely like the 05 for sure though, the 05 would stand up on its back legs 4000-8000 rpm whereas the 08 is 8000 and up. The front skips across the pave when accelerating 3rd 4th gears sometimes touching sometimes not. Made the riding very exciting as you always feel not quite in control. But get to a turn, bike stops on a dime and turns without even trying. When I get the akrapovic race system on I will let you know how it affects the bike,

Ignore this member   
dragon rider

Novice Class
Dragon Rider
posted September 07, 2008 05:51 AM        
Well the 1000km check up is done and the new pipes and power commander installed. I know the akrapovic website says 14.9hp extra but talking to another fellow at the dealership said his 10r only dynoed 6 hp more from stock. He got about 4hp from the power commander. I could tell from the seat of the pants the bike worked better. Still does not want to wheelie earlier than 8000rpm but thats just for showing off anyway. I couldnt stretch the engine much coming home as it was raining cats and dogs. had a good trip anyway 5 hrs to get home. Love the new sound, very deep and throaty. I was told should leave the baffle in for road trips as the deep sound might get on my nerves but it did not. I liked it, finally did not sound like a goldwing anymore. Still raining today so no chance to try out the new acceleration, Sure getting some head turners though. After owning the bike for a bit you stop looking at the headlights and start seeing the things that make the bike awesome. Funny how at first you look at the things you dont like. But once the fender eliminator is on, smaller pipe there is nothing else but the big turn signals and too close headlights. I might install LED turn signals in the fairing and put on different mirrors. Not sure yet just thinking out loud, The pirellis were good in the rain, never slid or gave me indication they were on the edge of slipping. I wasnt riding slow. For the amount of highway riding I have been forced to do the tires dont look worse for wear. Its quite amazing how the bike pulls after 8000rpms. Practically screams at 13,000. very happy with the choice to buy one. Now its looks awesome. I park the bike anywhere amongst any group of bikes and thats the one everyone needs to come see. No one stands in front of it to say anything about the headlights, its always side views. More often than not, most people like the turn signals in the mirror stalks.

Ignore this member   
dragon rider

Novice Class
Dragon Rider
posted September 14, 2008 04:56 PM        
well.... the verdict is in, WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!! Holy crap! The new pipe and power commander sure did change the bike. 5000 rpm crack the throttle and up she comes, same in second gear. Today was a fun day! Besides the midrange upgrade the upper end is stupid fast!! Made me grin!!! Just getting used to the bike but it has gone past not bad into holy crap! The bike spins up exiting turns but is very contollable. It wouldnt do it before the changes under 8000rpm but now has plenty of grunt. Little rises in the road now produce wheelies wheras before it did not. The wheelies at 5000 would happen not at full throttlle, if it only came up a bit I could pour on more and make it wheelie as high as I wanted or keep it a foot off the ground by using enough throttle to keep it there. If I dont want it to wheelie I just have to be careful how hard to gas it. The wind protection is very good compared to the 05 even wiithout the double bubble. Glad I decided to buy it, I was telling my friends before that it wasnt crazy power like the 05 but now after today's ride.... hehehehehehe. I keep glancing at the tach and cant beleive I havnt bumped the rev limiter, I used to ride by the sound and know when to shift but this bike screams, will take me abit to get used to the new sound, shift light comes on about 12,000. Super smooth, super powerful, chunks of stupid fun! Might go to the mountains next weekend if I can get time off of work, The mountains are a days ride though. Will test my endurance for sure. Its not the weight on the wrists its the hard seat. Need more seat time to get my butt numb to it. Like karate training, eventually it stops hurting. By the way, bikes stops fast! Had a car cut in front of me, had so much confidence in the braking that I had time to shoulder check during the braking manoever and go around the car the back side. Bike was squirming abit but man, I couldnt believe how easy it was to scrub the speed down, had loads of feedback, knew exactly how much to brake. Had to cut in front of another car to get around him but knew I could easy, brake, shoulder check, turn right gas it, turn left back into my lane. I bet it happened in split seconds but it seemed slow. No adrenaline rush, no worries. It was easy and no sweat. Did I mention I LOVE the 08 10r? I figured next year they will change the colors and wont offer black like they did, 04-05 so rather than wait to see what is up for nextt year, it was time. Hope next weekend ends up being sunny.

Ignore this member   
robsong

Novice Class
posted September 15, 2008 03:53 PM        
I agree about the front end. I love the looks of everything but the front. I have a blue 06' 14 so I'm considering the blue zx-10. Went to Indy this past weekend to MotoGP now really have the hots for one. Congrats...
  Ignore this member   
dragon rider

Novice Class
Dragon Rider
posted September 15, 2008 04:12 PM        
I rode a zx14, Love the bike. But man, I like it wild. The 10 feels uncontrollable when wide open. I like that. The 14 feels fast but not wild. Tons of torque, but when I rode it, feels like a cadillac with a vette engine. Its nice, but its a cadillac, I prefer the vette with the vette engine. Personal choice, I could never own something too comfortable. If you get one, change the pipe, put on a power commander and the bike becomes something else. hehehehe........,

sorry flash back from yesterday. :o)

Ignore this member   
SteveWFL

posted September 23, 2008 11:19 AM        
Sounds like you're having fun with that monster! Smokinzx14 bought one as well.

Let me know when you go to the dragon, I may be there. I do most of my stupid stuff on the track, but we have fun the dragon and surrounding areas while keeping it reasonably safe. I love the mountains in that area.

Here's a few dragon pics I shot, first a trip with the 14, then a litre bike.

http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=8&TID=38915&set_time=1219169788

http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=8&TID=35917&set_time=1219169852
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
dragon rider

Novice Class
Dragon Rider
posted September 24, 2008 03:34 PM        
it sure looks like tons of fun! I am definitley going. I have already informed my staff, your boss is going for 2 weeks. hehe. I went last weekend for a 12 hour road trip to see if I could handle it. Well no problems. I will let you know when I go. Would be great to have someone who knows the area with me. I still cant believe how much difference the pipe and power commander made with the bike. Love your R1. The color is classy and sporty same time. Wish we had a track closer to have fun on as well. The one that actually lets bikes on are only sanctioned races and I cant plan for that. Too bz at work. In 3 weekends we are supposed to go to the mountains to support a friend getting chemo soon but they will be riding harleys, which is great for them, just going to be very slow. Its worth it to support a friend, if I get bored I will take off do a few turns then come back. its a days ride to the mountains though. Did a stoppie avoiding a rabbit last weekend. Made me laugh, poor little rabbit, couldnt make his mind up which way to go, since I wasn't going to change where I was going I braked hard enough to give him time to get out of the way, well apparently I was doing a stoppie as when I released the front brake the back tire sat down, hehehe. Might have been a foot maybe. Dont know how long I carried it but I was applying the brakes a bit at a time waiting for the little guy to decide, he was moving around a lot but not going anywhere. If he was still under my tire when I got there I would have let the brakes go so I wouldnt slip on him. The 05 wouldnt brake that well. Have to get used to the new brakes. :o) Thanks for the invite Steve. let me know if you need any special decals, I am a signmaker, doing loads of decals for bikes. Bring them with me.

I learned from the article of Dinos misfortune with the deer, the best anyone could say about missing animals would be to go where they are, not where they are not as they will probably try and get out of the way, meaning you might just drive into them as they try and move. Made total sense to me, If I had of tried to drive around the rabbit I would have hit him for sure, he went the way I would have tried. I appreciate the sound advice. Saved me from finding out what happens when you hit a rabbit while turning your bike. I dont think it would have turned out so good.

Ignore this member   
SteveWFL

posted September 25, 2008 07:05 PM        
sure please let me know when you go, if I'm there we'll certainly meet up and ride! PM me, I don't watch this ZX10 forum too often.

My drive to their isn't as long as yours, but its still 10 plus hours and well worth it

track? if you make it down to Florida, come join us for track days on Daytona, Homestead, or JenningsGP track!
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
dragon rider

Novice Class
Dragon Rider
posted October 04, 2008 06:37 AM        
Thanks for the invite!!!! Got a flat tire the other night, have to get a new tire. Have decided on the michelin sp2s. If I am doing a road trip and get a puncture, who carries perrellis? Not even my dealer stocks them. So worse case you replace a tire with a michelin pilot even if its a 50 series and not 55 you wont have to replace both tires to match the tire brands. Of course when I go to the dragon I am expecting to go through a set of tires. :o) Maybe 2 hehe. You think I should put the street baffle in for the trip? How are the police for sound down there?

Ignore this member   
SteveWFL

posted October 05, 2008 06:28 PM        
exhaust is not an issue up there at the dragon! cops are though, but during weekdays I don't see traffic/cops
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
dragon rider

Novice Class
Dragon Rider
posted October 06, 2008 02:57 AM        
Thanks for letting me know! I wont be running too fast there anyway as I dont know the roads. Dont want to make foolish mistakes on a road trip I am doing alone. If I crash because of someone else's mistake, or something I wasnt expecting thats sometimes happens but to crash being stupid I am not interested in. Its not that I am afraid to crash, but if I survive, how to get home, and bring the bike too. I see how people crash on the dragon (online)so I prefer not to do that. :o)

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: back on 2 wheels NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.823256015778 seconds processing time