HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: 05 ZX10 problems NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
RealtorClay

Parking Attendant
posted May 31, 2008 02:12 PM        
05 ZX10 problems

I just bought a used ZX10 from a private seller. It has 8880 miles on it, a Muzzy Slip on and an airfilter. It is my first sportbike, so I brought a friend along to help me check it out. It was lightly raining so he just rode it around the block and came back. He told me that it had a flat spot in it and ran a little funny. The seller said he was aware of it, and had been told that a power commander would fix it. He said because of the exhaust and filter it needed to be re-maped. It sounded right enough to me, and the guy I was with, so we bought it. The rain stoped two days later and when I got it out, there is no flat spot, it just flat cuts out. It happens when you close the throttle, either for a shift, or just getting out of it. If I engage the clutch it seems to fix it and then run fine until I close the throttle again. Also the FI (fuel Injection??) light is on. The seller claimed this was on because it needed mapped and because he had run race gas in it. I have called around to a few shops here locally and they all say the same thing, which I understand, "bring it in and we will look at it." A few friends have come up with some ideas like it does need a powercommander, or maybe a fuel pump. It isn't electrical I believe, because the bike still runs and all the lights stay on. It just seems like the fuel shuts off totally when I close the throttle, and I can either wait and it will catch up, or engage the clutch and it comes right back. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. And I am sorry that I wrote a book, but its a complicated story.

Ignore this member   
ninja_12r2000

Novice Class
posted May 31, 2008 05:14 PM        
Short circuit seem to be. The FI light give codes so if you don't have the book just bring to somebody garage where they have kawasaki mechanics with the code of Fi he will tell you. It's in the repair manual it was somewhere on the site and easy but long to download, but can't remember where.

Ignore this member   
ninja_12r2000

Novice Class
posted May 31, 2008 05:24 PM        
Onthe repair manual it's in section 3-37 and it's well explained.

Ignore this member   
RealtorClay

Parking Attendant
posted June 01, 2008 11:43 AM        
Thanks man, the code was one long light and one short, so I believe it is the throttle position sensor. Do you know if this is easy to repair, or will I have to take it to somebody?

Ignore this member   
ninja_12r2000

Novice Class
posted June 01, 2008 03:29 PM        
If the code are right it tell: Main throttle sensor, wiring open or short.

You got to look at 3.44 through 3.48 in the manual.

Seem to me like a loose connection or a wire who loose isolation or touch metal somewhere or corrosion in the connection (I doubt).

But to see the wire and the connector you need to put out the gas tank and the air filter box.

There's some test explained in section 3.44 through 3.48 but you have to download the service manual.

I doubt that the throttle sensor are in trouble, connection or wire seem to be the problem for me.

Ignore this member   
RealtorClay

Parking Attendant
posted June 02, 2008 11:49 AM        
Thanks man, My first bike with FI on it. Im a car guy really, but all the buddies are buying bikes, and with the price of gas, it costs sooo much less to go fast with a bike. Got a deal on it, so I cant hate the guy. I just want to get it fixed. I appreciate the advise and I will keep you posted.

Ignore this member   
ninja_12r2000

Novice Class
posted June 02, 2008 07:12 PM        
Maybe you got something here to download: http://www.torrentportal.com/details/115167/Kawasaki_zx10r_service_manual(pdf).3257268.TPB.html
  Ignore this member   
ninja_12r2000

Novice Class
posted June 03, 2008 04:54 AM        
There you are this time : http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49085
  Ignore this member   
RealtorClay

Parking Attendant
posted June 06, 2008 09:37 AM        
Just got a call from the shop. Did a fuel flow test on the fuel pump. Its supposed to flow 72 ml in 4 sec. It flowed 175 ml. So I'd say it was running a bit high on the pressure side. So we are about to put it on the dyno and see what the A/F is at, and make sure it is the fuel pressure regulator before we order a new fuel pump.

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted June 10, 2008 04:35 PM        
Don't ignore the FI code. That needs to be fixed before any dyno runs.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
RealtorClay

Parking Attendant
posted July 05, 2008 03:01 PM        
Update. Just got everything sorted out. Ended up buying a throttle body with injectors and all sensors off e-bay. The main throttle position sensor was cracked and not sending the right voltage to the ECU. I looked around but everyone said I had to buy the whole assembly just to get the main throttle sensor. I did some research and found out that if you know the part number (21168-0022) for the 04-05 sensor, you can buy it, but if you go to a shop and they try to look it up on the blow-up diagram, it isn't listed. The sensor itself runs from $110-$145, and the whole assembly is usually $1200. I bought the assembly (throttle bodies, fuel injectors and rail, and sensors) off E-Bay for $195 with shipping, so if I ever need more parts down the road I have them. I just thought I would post this in case anybody else ever runs into the same problem, they now have the part number.

Ignore this member   
Hawkman

Zone Head
posted July 27, 2008 11:11 PM        
Thanks for the follow up info/resolution.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: 05 ZX10 problems NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.443537950516 seconds processing time