HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: Daytona Shocker! 1st Place Josh Hayes Disqualified From Today's Daytona 200! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Editor

Administrator
posted March 08, 2008 10:38 PM        Edited By: Editor on 9 Mar 2008 06:36
Daytona Shocker! 1st Place Josh Hayes Disqualified From Today's Daytona 200!

In a ruling issued hours after the race had concluded, Josh Hayes was disqualified from today's Daytona 200 following a customary and mandatory technical inspection of the top three finishers' motorcycles in the Daytona 200, round one of the AMA Formula Extreme Series.

Upon this inspection, a technical infraction was found. The #1 Erion Racing Honda CBR600RR's crankshaft was polished, surface treated and metal was removed from it. This is in violation of the 2008 AMA rulebook section 5.4, the text of which can be seen below.

Page 47: Rulebook Section 5.4
Multi-cylinder liquid cooled engines
The following engine components may not be altered from the originally
homologated model except as noted:
- b. Homologated crankshaft
- - 1. Bearing surfaces may be polished or surface treated.

In addition, two other motorcycles were randomly picked to undergo technical
inspections.

Updated results will be released tomorrow.

Source: Bikeland.org

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Editor's homepage. 
vozizm

Needs a job
Got Nothing Witty To Say
posted March 09, 2008 06:39 AM        
ohhhhhhh some one has sum splaining to do.

Ignore this member   
Guitar God

Expert Class
Single ;)
posted March 09, 2008 10:28 AM        
Speaking of explaining, who was responsible for Zemke's rear tire not being able to be replaced quicker then 3 laps...lol. I feel bad for Jake and Miguel.
  Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted March 09, 2008 10:30 AM        Edited By: stevewfl on 9 Mar 2008 10:31
Hayes still stomped dat azz right after signing my helmet at the Honda dinner two nights before hah!

And he still got HONDA the publicity wOOt! And if all that isn't enough in HONDA's favor, watch THIS for even more publicity and the AMA getting a black eye! Honda is loving it!

I bet their crankshafts are stock that way on all their bikes? Or something superior because its a HONDA, the world's most winning RACE MACHINES!

This just in from Honda:
HONDA RACING INFORMATION

Daytona 200 winner Josh Hayes disqualified by AMA officials

Josh Hayes was disqualified as the winner of the Daytona 200 by AMA officials after they found his race-winning machine to be in violation of the AMA Road Race rulebook.
"We've appealed their decision and basically that's our side of it," Rick Hobbs, Hayes' crew chief said. "We've appealed the technical inspection and also the penalty, disqualification." He added, "At this point we're not going to make any statement on what our version is until we file the appropriate paperwork with them."

The crankshaft on the race-winning Honda was found to be "polished, surface treated and metal was removed from it," AMA Pro Racing said in a press release announcing the infraction. "This is in violation of the 2008 AMA rulebook section 5.4."

The release cites a section of the rulebook which states that for multi-cylinder liquid-cooled machines, homologated crankshaft "may not be altered from the originally homologated model except that the "Bearing surfaces may be polished or surface treated."

The press release was issued late Saturday night, well after team owner Kevin Erion had left Daytona International Speedway. He was told by a team member of the infraction just before returning to his home in California.

The appeal process begins with the filing, which "must be received at AMA Racing headquarters by 5:00 p.m. on the third business day after notification to the participant via fax, telephone, or mail of the ruling or incident in question," according to the AMA Road Race rulebook. The appeal board, which is chosen by the Senior Director of Racing, consists of three people "with no material interest in the matter at hand," the rulebook states. The appeal must take place within 45 days of the incident.

ENDS

CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
zxhoya

Zone Head
posted March 09, 2008 10:48 AM        
Guess this means KAWASAKI finishes 1st & 2nd in the 2008 Daytona 200 and their bikes passed inspection.

Conspiracy theory: Miguel Duhamel(sp) and Jake Zemke had the same illegally prepared race bikes as Josh Hayes and in an attempt to avoid serious embarrassment ''developed problems'' with their bikes. Hmmmmmmmmmm. lol lol lol

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted March 09, 2008 11:04 AM        
+1-

Congrats to KAWASAKI for the win on a technicality ! I spoke with the Attack Kawaski team in the pits before the race, it was windy and we helped 'em tie their tents down. Super nice team.

zx you may be right. I'm thinking all the Hondas may come stock with the crankshafts set up that way, but maybe not? We'll see what the appeal brings. I really enjoyed watching all the AMA races at Daytona yesterday. Mladdin walked away from everyone on his gixxer, he finished like 30 seconds ahead of the next rider.

His bike looked/sounded like a fighter jet ripping across the track compared to the others on the track, even his team mate's gixxers..
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
GUNNER

Needs a life
posted March 09, 2008 12:47 PM        
Steve.....................Thy were cheating! Cheating is for fuckin ass hats!!

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted March 09, 2008 01:17 PM        Edited By: stevewfl on 9 Mar 2008 15:54
quote:
Steve.....................Thy were cheating! Cheating is for fuckin ass hats!!

heheheh oh the hatred for HONDA~! I love it!.....

The Attack Kawi team ran a great race, and as busy as they were still took time to chit chat with us.

CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
GUNNER

Needs a life
posted March 09, 2008 05:40 PM        
quote:
+1-

Congrats to KAWASAKI for the win on a technicality ! .

Steve Kawasaki won the race out right.. The first requirement that must be met in order to win a race is to have your equipment meet the rules.. Honda failed to do that very simple thing. I'm sure they were issued the EXACT same rule book as all the other teams.. Or did they just figure rules are for suckas?

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted March 09, 2008 05:47 PM        Edited By: stevewfl on 9 Mar 2008 17:55
GREAT for Kawasaki! Hope this is the beginning of a long winning streak!

AMA racing is one thing, I hope Kawi pulls up from last place in World Superbike and MotoGP too.
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
GUNNER

Needs a life
posted March 09, 2008 05:59 PM        
Steve your above post was an intention to diminish Kawasaki's win.. Don't play it off as if it wasn't. As far as a winning streak goes I wouldn't count on that . Kawasaki has NEVER put very much effort into winning anything. They stick up their head just long enough to show they can and then go away.

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted March 09, 2008 06:03 PM        Edited By: stevewfl on 9 Mar 2008 18:35
Kawasaki isn't entering these events to win? Thats not what the guys on the Attack kawasaki team told me Saturday. I'm not diminishing their win at Daytona, nor BSing when I say I hope they raise their world rankings.

But I have to call major BS that Kawasaki shows up in World Superbike and MotoGP for anything other than to win. When I see how hard team Kawi is working at these events, and their enthusiasm, millions of racing budget dollars, etc I call BS that their riders and teams are not their to win. Thats almost funny.

How do I get sucked into debates like I'm "against" Kawi when I'm a race fan and customer?

Anyone that believes GUNNER's statement that Kawi doesn't try hard to win should research the millions Monster Energy and Kawasaki brands are putting into competing. And also, please visit Kawi's "racing" section of their web site at http://www.kawasaki.com/Racing/ or Monster Energy's "road racing" section of their website at http://monsterenergy.com/troops/athlete_detail.php?athleteID=104

Good luck to Kawasaki going forward!
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
GUNNER

Needs a life
posted March 09, 2008 08:25 PM        Edited By: GUNNER on 9 Mar 2008 20:34
Steve...................... My statement is as FOLLOWS> ------------------------> Kawasaki historically does not put a huge effort into any form of racing. Never have..( although Moto Gp format does seem to have their attention) Look at AMA Superbike. Attack Kawasaki is basically a factory support team RIGHT? Where is the full factory effort like Honda and Suzuki have? Honda on the other hand puts out a HUGE effort to win. They have been involved in most all forms of racing on the planet if it has a motor. Racing and winning must feed their ego.

And if you think Kawasaki is spending the farm racing just think how much Honda and Suzuki are dumping into their programs.

Oh and Steve the teams and riders are there to win. I never said they weren't. I said KAWASAKI historically don't seem to give them much support.

Steve you really do believe everything you see on the surface goes all the way to the bone don't you?

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted March 09, 2008 08:31 PM        
quote:

Steve you really do believe everything you see on the surface goes all the way to the bone don't you?

Its all good.

Monster Energy is throwing so much at Kawasaki the last few years regarding sponsor money its crazy. And thats why I'm betting they perform better this season in all events, it may be their best year ever.
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted March 09, 2008 09:13 PM        Edited By: TedG on 9 Mar 2008 21:17
I think it is just stupid to use an illegal part. How fucking dumb can you get? Didn't they think they would be inspected Didn't they read the OR in the statement. WTF? Being handed a win without crossing the finish line first for whatever reason isn't the same. It happened to me once, I came in second to a guy that got torn down (wasn't me who asked for the tear down) and come to find out that he was over bored. When they handed me the first place trophy I refused it (I would have just given it to a pit tootsie anyway). The guy beat me. Fuck that. I got a shitty start and ran his ass down, another lap and he would have been mine.
Anyway I feel bad for the rider, he didn't build the bike. And I would be surprised if he didn't go for a breach of contract with Honda.

Nobody wants to see Kawasaki win more than me. But I want them to cross the line first.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted March 09, 2008 09:18 PM        
"Anyway I feel bad for the rider, he didn't build the bike."

+1

I can't imagine how bad Josh Hayes felt when told he was disqualified because he was handed a bum bike. Hurts his whole season.
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted March 09, 2008 09:38 PM        
I hope he wins the appeal. They may, the rule does say OR but it could be interpreted as allowing both. The removal of metal may be a bit harder to fight.
It does sound like Honda was rolling the dice. The stupid part is, it probably didn't help the performance of the bike all that much.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
k bryant

Needs a job
Sponsor
posted March 10, 2008 09:51 AM        
Such a bummer for the rider. His beef would be with Erion, since they normally build/assemble the engines. There were times when the Erion bikes were assembled by Erion employees, at the Honda Race Shop. I don't know if that is the case anymore. But the rule is very clear on this deal and has been. "Bearing surfaces" only. I don't see any gray area at all. Removing material, polishing, etc. to any other portions of the crank makes a difference and is not allowed. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out and who "manipulates" the true meaning of the rule best (Honda/Erion or the AMA).
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit K Bryant's homepage. 
princesskiwi

Administrator
MISTRESS of SMACK
posted March 10, 2008 01:09 PM        

Josh Hayes is a really nice guy, no matter where he places in the race.

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted March 10, 2008 01:24 PM        
quote:

Josh Hayes is a really nice guy, no matter where he places in the race.

+1
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
princesskiwi

Administrator
MISTRESS of SMACK
posted March 10, 2008 02:24 PM        
http://www.bikeland.org/story.php?storyID=17517

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted March 10, 2008 02:44 PM        
Dayum wow you got to interview him??? I thought we did good sneaking in the team Honda dinner. Chit chatted with him and he signed my Helmet.

Then at the track before the race when we snuck in the press/pit areas (and bumped into Fish with his cam) Hayes remembered Eric and I.

Hayes was the most upbeat of all the team HONDA riders hanging around. DEMSKE, now that dude acted as if he was not wanting to be at the race at all!
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
08blade

Novice Class
Honda Humper
posted March 10, 2008 05:24 PM        
Sucks for Josh.
  Ignore this member   
NinjaNick

Needs a job
'08 ZX14 (Blue)
posted March 10, 2008 05:53 PM        Edited By: NinjaNick on 10 Mar 2008 17:56
quote:
http://www.bikeland.org/story.php?storyID=17517

2 jobs? I'd just stick with this one.

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted March 10, 2008 08:52 PM        
quote:
Sucks for Josh.

+1
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 3 pages long: 1  2  3     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: Daytona Shocker! 1st Place Josh Hayes Disqualified From Today\'s Daytona 200! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.725933074951 seconds processing time