HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: 1988 ZX-10 won't start/throttle stuck NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
eljefeMiguel

Parking Attendant
Chilling
posted February 21, 2008 07:15 AM        Edited By: eljefeMiguel on 21 Feb 2008 06:16
1988 ZX-10 won't start/throttle stuck

I just bought a 1988 ZX-10 that's been sitting for 2 years in a garage. Its very clean, looked like an easy fix up. I'm not very experienced in fixing up cars/motorcycles so i kind of have no idea what I'm doing. I haven't done anything but replace the battery and tried to start it. It turned over but didn't start. The throttle won't budge. I try to turn it any way and it won't move. It feels completely stuck. I don't know if theres like a safety lock or something. Any ideas/comments would help me a ton.

Also, I was thinking about replacing the spark plugs and maybe messing with the carbs. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Ignore this member   
Tool Man

Needs a job
posted February 21, 2008 08:30 PM        
Find a good Mechanic,,,Carbs are varnished up, old gas.
Full rebuild needed

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted February 22, 2008 09:47 AM        Edited By: TedG on 22 Feb 2008 10:23
Well I had an 88 ZX10. The carbs are standard CVs that are nothing special. If they are stuck you have to determine a few things.
1. Is it the twist grip?
2. Cables?
3. Throttle linkage between #2#3 carbs?

DO NOT REEF ON THE TWIST GRIP. Get it free.
I would start with taking apart the twist grip and seeing if that it the culprit. Then with my trusty can of WD40 I would lube all of those parts within an inch of their life. Spraying as much lube down the cables as I could.
Then I would lube all the linkage at the carbs, and begin working the linkage at the cable cam. Gently tapping the linkage while spraying WD40 on things.

My biggest worry after getting the linkage moving would be the slides, There are diaphragms that can get brittle and slides that stick, They are vacuum controlled and have a weak spring to push them down.

A good book an CV carbs in in order.
Also this is actually the wrong forum but you may get the best answers here. I am considering moving this to the general bike talk if you don't get some feedback (aside from me).

Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: 1988 ZX-10 won\'t start/throttle stuck NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.429935932159 seconds processing time