HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: 08 10 is very sweet NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
ricksgsxr

Zone Head
posted November 30, 2007 03:45 PM        
quote:

But what I find most amazing is no mention of a slipper clutch? Am I just missing it?

FWIW:

The Cycle World write up mentions a slipper cluth on page 43

"The lighter crank and lower ratios in first,fourth and fifth gears {to suit the new power curve) led to a different setup on the slipper clutch"

Ignore this member   
yelozx10r

Expert Class
Green '07 zx6r
posted November 30, 2007 04:34 PM        
http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48640

sorry about the link to another forum but the seals it!!!

zx10 looks so sweet in race trim... scroll down a bit for the blade... I mean WTF!!!!! seriously! *shakes head* that thing is terrible and yet I'm left here wondering if it has any performance under that ugly ass skin!!!!

I wouldn't be seen dead on that thing regardless of performance

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted November 30, 2007 04:40 PM        
quote:

sorry about the link to another forum but the seals it!!!

zx10 looks so sweet in race trim... scroll down a bit for the blade... I mean WTF!!!!! seriously! *shakes head* that thing is terrible and yet I'm left here wondering if it has any performance under that ugly ass skin!!!!

I wouldn't be seen dead on that thing regardless of performance

who cares about "looks" on the race track or what Kawi reps think.... let the shootouts begin with the same pro same ametuers on each bike, track and street. non-biased people.

Man wow, btw, that forum reminded me of some of the other forums the younger riders post on.

CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted November 30, 2007 04:51 PM        
quote:

"The lighter crank and lower ratios in first,fourth and fifth gears {to suit the new power curve) led to a different setup on the slipper clutch"

Thanks, I missed it
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted November 30, 2007 04:53 PM        
quote:
As for straight line only....Not so!

"Main focus was handling and ability to race the bike"
unquote .

check out page 43 of the December cycleworld... Major , major, major changes to the frame and chasis doods!

Kawasaki spent major R+D effort.

Hmmm. turbo the zx14, or add a new zx10 to the stable?....
decisions..... decisions....

Kawasaki (as the article said) has been trying to make that bike handle for YEARS with changes. Question is, have they finally got it right?
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
bluedevil

Expert Class
posted November 30, 2007 08:55 PM        
quote:
quote:

Man wow, btw, that forum reminded me of some of the other forums the younger riders post on.

then you don't know that forum :, we have had polls on that forum and it must be one of the oldest average Age forums on the net for sportbikes.....yes we have some younguns there but it's not the norm and K Bryant and Fish have had their visits as well.

Hey K Bryant I hope you don't mind but I did a post not a link to the other forum as this information is great stuff and hope it's ok since I'm a Sacramento brother like you use to be. :

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted November 30, 2007 10:33 PM        
No harm meant regarding the other forum, I apologize-

back to the ZX10/Honda, I'm not brand loyal to none. I just sold a Kawi and have a Honda and '08 Yamaha in the garage. And I think the *new* Honda is so ugly to me I didn't purchase one. I have owned more Kawi's than any other brand.

BUT- I think when all the litre bikes are lined up for 2008 against each other in the shootouts, overall performance winner will be HONDA!

We'll see, I may eat crow. I doubt it though!

CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
bluedevil

Expert Class
posted December 01, 2007 07:45 PM        Edited By: bluedevil on 1 Dec 2007 19:47
quote:
No harm meant regarding the other forum, I apologize-

back to the ZX10/Honda, I'm not brand loyal to none. I just sold a Kawi and have a Honda and '08 Yamaha in the garage. And I think the *new* Honda is so ugly to me I didn't purchase one. I have owned more Kawi's than any other brand.

BUT- I think when all the litre bikes are lined up for 2008 against each other in the shootouts, overall performance winner will be HONDA!

We'll see, I may eat crow. I doubt it though!

No problem Steve

This is the first Forum I ever joined but I am now a moderator on the other site but like to check-in here as well from time to time. Some very knowledgeable people here and you can usually get first hand or early information on this site as well.

As for the Honda I will be curious how their new Traction Control if you want to call it that compares to what the Kawi is going to offer. I'll just get out my popcorn and will wait like the rest of have us have to do for now.

Ignore this member   
warbird

Needs a job
posted December 01, 2007 08:01 PM        
Here are some numbers from Daytona Tire Test..............

Dunlop Tire Test
Daytona International Speedway
Daytona Beach, Florida
December 1, 2007
Unofficial Lap Times:

1. Ben Spies (Suz GSX-R1000), Superbike, 1:36.0
2. Mat Mladin (Suz GSX-R1000), Superbike, 1:36.71
3. Eric Bostrom (Yam YZF-R1), Superbike, 1:37.1
4. Jason DiSalvo (Yam YZF-R1), Superbike, 1:37.8
5. Tommy Hayden (Suz GSX-R1000), Superbike, 1:37.8
6. Aaron Yates (Suz GSX-R1000), Superbike, 1:38.0
7. Jamie Hacking (Kaw ZX-10R), Superbike, 1:38.3
8. Roger Hayden (Kaw ZX-10R), Superbike, 1:38.6
9. Aaron Yates (Suz GSX-R1000), Superstock, 1:39.0
10. Akira Yanagawa (Kaw ZX-10R), Superbike, 1:40.0
11. Josh Hayes (Hon CBR600RR), Formula Xtreme, 1:40.68
12. Geoff May (Suz GSX-R1000), Superstock, 1:40.7
13. Neil Hodgson (Hon CBR600RR), Formula Xtreme, 1:40.77
14. Chris Peris (Suz GSX-R1000), Superstock, 1:40.90
15. Ben Bostrom (Yam YZF-R6), Supersport, 1:41.29
16. Jake Zemke (Hon CBR600RR), Supersport, 1:42.09
17. Josh Herrin (Yam YZF-R6), Supersport, 1:42.36
18. Roger Hayden (Kaw ZX-6R), Supersport, 1:42.9
19. Tommy Hayden (Suz GSX-R600), Supersport, 1:42.9
20. Shea Fouchek (Hon CBR600RR), Supersport, 1:43.5
21. Aaron Gobert (Hon CBR600RR), Formula Xtreme, 1:43.6
22. Aaron Gobert (Hon CBR600RR), Supersport, 1:43.6

Ignore this member   
warbird

Needs a job
posted December 01, 2007 08:06 PM        
This pic is from superbikeplanet.com...................when you look at the hideous exhaust...... check out the exhaust hanger

Ignore this member   
warbird

Needs a job
posted December 01, 2007 08:10 PM        
Here are a few more.............

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/image/2007/usa-superbike/tiretest/newhonda/

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted December 01, 2007 09:29 PM        
who ccares about looks of a track bike? it isn't even the intention of Kawi or Honda to make the track bike appear good-looking. Although I can't beleive Kawi didn't powdercoat the frame and swing arm, thats just slacking it :P
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
warbird

Needs a job
posted December 02, 2007 08:26 AM        
Your preaching to the choir Steve....................I have always gone with the " form follows function " philosophy. Until I see some " function " from that Honda..........it's one ugly m*ther fkr.............. Honda is at that tire test in Daytona...........wonder why there are no times posted in the Superbike class???? And that frame and swingarm on the Kawasaki looks nice in the natural aluminum..........

Just so you don't forget our friendly little bet.............look at that time sheet above, and you'll see that it is going to be VERY difficult for anyone to get past the Yoshimura team. They already have a year's worth of data working with the K7, and of course the K8 is the same bike. With the Honda and Kawi being new this year, Suzuki AND Yamaha have a big head start on the season.........

Ignore this member   
NinjaNick

Needs a job
'08 ZX14 (Blue)
posted December 02, 2007 02:30 PM        
quote:

I wanted to click it, so I made it clickable.

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted December 02, 2007 02:52 PM        
quote:
Your preaching to the choir Steve....................I have always gone with the " form follows function " philosophy. Until I see some " function " from that Honda..........it's one ugly m*ther fkr.............. Honda is at that tire test in Daytona...........wonder why there are no times posted in the Superbike class???? And that frame and swingarm on the Kawasaki looks nice in the natural aluminum..........

Just so you don't forget our friendly little bet.............look at that time sheet above, and you'll see that it is going to be VERY difficult for anyone to get past the Yoshimura team. They already have a year's worth of data working with the K7, and of course the K8 is the same bike. With the Honda and Kawi being new this year, Suzuki AND Yamaha have a big head start on the season.........

ya I wasn't bringing sazook and Yamaha in the equation that'd be unfair as they didn't redesign....both the Honda and Kawi are new :P

The Honda is butt-ugly but geez look at the bug-eyed tear-dropped front lights, and TURN signals on the Kawi? The Kawi appears as if they forgot to engineer the outside altogether, not ugly just lack of quality thought and effort. Who cares about looks let the shootouts begin soon

And the pro teams, tire BS, and track times don't matter. But when the shootouts put many "same riders" on each bike and see which perform best with same riders, we'll know.

CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
warbird

Needs a job
posted December 02, 2007 09:48 PM        
Well heck...............your talking street bike, I'm talking AMA racing................ We have to be on the same page. I'll pick Kaw/Suzuki for the street.................tie for first in the shootouts.....................

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted December 03, 2007 11:32 AM        
Same 'ole tune...

Note the rider in the thread "ZX10 1st ride" complimented the raw horsepower but not the handling characteristics. This has been Kawi's past for this bike and its not a secret. Even the magazines say the '08 goal is to make it handle better. I suspect as always the bike will be the best performer in a straight line but least performer regarding handling characteristics, least corner speed, braking distance, and overall sportbike performance.
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
philmy3rdleg

Expert Class
posted December 03, 2007 12:08 PM        
it's nice to think that one bike is better than another for a confidence boost. But the truth is, all the bikes are good and not getting that much better even with this two year overhaul thing going on. if you look at times a MotoGP bike is about 3 seconds faster than a superbike, a superbike is about 2.5 ( On most tracks) seconds faster than a superstock bike. Track records are getting broke because of tires not bikes. If Superstock bikes were aloud special racing slicks the gap would be even closer and if superbikes could get bridgestones special GP tire the gap would be closer there too.
  Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted December 04, 2007 02:37 PM        
phil I agree they are so close and competitive now there is not much of a measuarable gap. but its good for debating purposes :P
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted December 04, 2007 02:38 PM        
Here is the past record of handling performance of Kawasaki. Note the green bike is going no faster than any others.

CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
YZF

Expert Class
posted December 04, 2007 02:51 PM        
http://cde.cerosmedia.com/1Q4755467834969012.cde

Read page 8 and 9 , steve. Do not look at the past, look into the future

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted December 04, 2007 03:00 PM        
I'm not brand loyal I read all the pages. But am I missing something? The link you posted only has 1 page :P
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
philmy3rdleg

Expert Class
posted December 04, 2007 09:35 PM        
That would be the little green bike(600). It happened to win the Supersport Championship. I'm not sayin the '06-'07 ZX10R doesn't have problems because it has alot. But by all accounts the 07 ZX6R(600) is pretty faultless.
  Ignore this member   
YZF

Expert Class
posted December 05, 2007 02:55 AM        
Steve> you try to be smart Press on PDF button top, or press "next page" button, at the top.

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted December 05, 2007 04:00 PM        
quote:
Steve> you try to be smart Press on PDF button top, or press "next page" button, at the top.

Thanks. I was patient and let the page load this time.

Yes I agree in regards to the ZX10 being blistering quick and traction control working so good. Not once did they mention turn speed improvements, braking distance, and overall performance manageability.

And its no secret for '07 the ZX10 was a monster but because of its handling shortcomings compared to the others, with the same riders over and over it performed less.

And I suspect when they test the big four again, the only test it will win is straight line brute horsepower and quickness as the article you cited continually stressed.
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 5 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: 08 10 is very sweet NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.739889860153 seconds processing time