HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: Introducing Kawasaki's 2006 Ninja ZX-10R NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Editor

Administrator
posted August 31, 2005 04:02 PM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 31 Aug 2005 19:08
Introducing Kawasaki's 2006 Ninja ZX-10R

As the debate on this site and others raged for months, Kawasaki put the finishing touches on their new ZX-10R. This is dedicated to all of those who dissected every image that was posted to our site.

Enjoy, and "Let the Good Times Roll!"

-Editor

KAWASAKI'S 2006 NINJA® ZX™-10R............

A LESSON THAT PROVES THE BEST CAN ALWAYS BE BETTER

Engineers and designers pull out all of the stops in keeping
this award winner at the top of the class.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE PDF OF THIS PRESS RELEASE

Few would have thought Kawasaki engineers would tamper with the success enjoyed by its NINJA® ZX™-10R sportbike over the past two years. Having been named by Cycle World as the Best Superbike of both 2004 and 2005, it would have been easily accepted by the most hardcore of racetrack motorcyclists if Kawasaki had simply rested on its laurels. But, in a move intended to show the brand's very serious and ongoing commitment to building the most potent motorcycles available, Kawasaki has taken it up another notch with the introduction of this latest version of the NINJA ZX-10R.

Designed for the rider who feels at home in racing leathers, the new liter-class Kawasaki is being brought to market with a complete engine, chassis and aerodynamic makeover, maintaining its top-of-class dominance, whether on the street or racetrack.

It features all new power characteristics, highlighted by a new fuel injection system featuring ultra-fine atomizing injectors to work with the 43mm throttle bodies and dual throttle valves. Providing a noticeable boost in mid-range power, the new ZX-10R's power delivery is also more linear, and its off-corner acceleration capability will satisfy the most demanding of riders. Also contributing to the smoother power delivery is the addition of a heavier flywheel, and high-speed generator moved to the end of the crankshaft. Shifting gears while handling the bike's awesome power output is simplified by improvements to the shift linkage, resulting in smooth, almost effortless transitions.

By repositioning the ZX-10R's center of gravity, Kawasaki engineers have bettered an already superb handling motorcycle. The new frame also features revised stiffness balance, new motor mounts, more centralized mass, and a relocated swingarm pivot, coupled with a racing-spec Öhlins steering damper. All told, a track-ready handler that is destined to surprise all who put it through its paces.

Combining a short wheelbase with a long swingarm gives the ZX-10R the type of track maneuverability that speaks to its nimble, yet stable handling performance. And even more to the liking of experienced racers, the tucked-in position made so comfortable by the NINJA's concave tank top and the relationship between pegs, handlebar, and seat, only magnifies its appropriateness for the track.

How to package all of this potency into a look that yells—virtually screams— aggressive race-readiness was a question Kawasaki's design team approached seriously.

Aerodynamic performance quickly became the key to their search for a style befitting this new ZX-10R. Possessing an abundance of power, handling, and performance characteristics, the "look" of the motorcycle need only compliment its core consumer values. The designers focused on a no-frills approach to delivering an experience that significantly improves aerodynamics with a new fairing, seat cowl, and dual under-seat exhaust system. While the most noticeable effect of this new look is found at the high end of the speedometer, it succeeds in appearing fast, even when sitting still.

Detailing the makings of a champion.....

Superior Cornering Performance: Finding the right mix of raw power, braking, and handling delivers what Kawasaki engineers recognize is the true meat of a racer's success: corner exit speeds that dictate ultimate straightaway speeds. Working with the company's test riders, they combined years of racing and superstock machine development to devise ways to improve this all-important facet of the motorcycle's performance. The 10R's chassis was scrutinized like no other, including measurements for both kinetic and static centers of gravity. The power curve was redesigned to deliver more in the mid-range as well as more linear power across the entire rpm spectrum.

Track-tuned chassis:

-Repositioning the engine so the crankshaft is slightly higher and in tune with the frame modifications results in a higher center of gravity and improved mass entralization. In turn, the new center of gravity for the ZX-10R improves the roll response, particularly important when taking it through a series of esses or when returning it to a vertical position as the rider exits a corner.

-Raising the center of gravity necessitated changes to the engine, as well. The cylinder bank angle has been reduced from 20 ú to 23 ú , the ACG moved from behind the cylinders to the crankshaft end, and the starter clutch moved from the left to the right side cover, while the starter is located behind the cylinders. This relocation allowed the engineers to avoid an increase in engine width, thus helping to maintain a very desirable 52 ú bank angle.

-The wheelbase is unchanged, despite moving the steering head forward and the change in frame geometry.

-This new frame employs new castings in the steering head area and uses rigid engine mounts—both positively affecting the frame's stiffness balance.

-The new swingarm uses castings around the pivot area and pressings for the beams and stabilizer. Engineers raised the swingarm pivot location and that change, combined with the use of a larger rear tire (190/55ZR17) provides optimum traction coming out of corners.

-The ZX-10R has been outfitted with adjustable steering damper Öhlins.

Smooth power delivery:

-First, second, and third gear torque output is key to ultimate performance, so controlling power delivery is of significant paramount. The engineers increased the crankshaft's flywheel mass to offer greater stability on corner entry. This increased mass and the ZX-10R's slipper clutch aid the overall effect. Acceleration out of corners is also improved as the flywheel helps resist natural wheelie inclinations in first, second, and third gears.

-Corner exit acceleration also benefits from the increased linear power characteristics of the new engine and its stronger mid-range performance.

-A new, round throttle pulley reduces throttle load and combines with revised ECU mapping to provide smoother transitional power characteristics when the rider applies gas coming out of a turn. While this feature has specific application in a racing environment, it also works when normal street riding calls for variations in throttle application.

Impressive Power-to Weight Ratio:

The new ZX-10R combines the strength of its engine output, a stronger mid-range, and improved aerodynamic efficiency to deliver quicker acceleration off of turns as well as off the starting line.

More power, less weight

-The NINJA ZX-10R's liquid-cooled, DOHC 16-valve, 998cc engine benefits from new, ultra-fine atomizing injectors, as mentioned earlier. Improved fuel atomization boosts combustion efficiency for greater power output, more linear power delivery and a smooth, step-free torque curve.

- The new, lightweight Denso radiator has tightly packed cores for improved cooling.

-Weight is further reduced by using a new, die-cast, one-piece seat rail.

-The realignment of the engine, as mentioned earlier, provides a gain in power while reducing engine weight.

Improved Aerodynamic Performance:

When a rider ventures into the upper speed ranges in a track environment, aerodynamics can easily provide the difference in competitive lap times, or more directly, in a podium finish. Kawasaki engineers and designers determined to deliver a motorcycle for the rider seeking an all-business approach to victory. The ZX-10R shines in those upper speed ranges. The new fairing, seat cowl, and dual under-seat exhaust system deliver not only significantly improved aerodynamic qualities—but riding thrills unlikely to be found elsewhere.

Track speed:

-New, extremely light and compact projector beam headlights allowed the design freedom to create the more aerodynamic cowl as well as a more efficient Ram Air duct.

-A reshaped rear seat cowl improves airflow around the back of the ZX-10R, reducing turbulence that causes drag.

-The new dual under-seat exhaust also serves to minimize drag by eliminating the turbulence typically associated with muffler positioning.

-By integrating the front and rear turn signals into the fairing, wind resistance is further minimized.

And when the ZX-10R owner is effortlessly carving a path around the racetrack, it's nice to know how easy Kawasaki has made it to keep an eye on progress. An all new hybrid instrument cluster provides quick, easy-to-read updates on the 10R's operating conditions. By using newly available technology, the instrument cluster gives the illusion of being further away—making it easier for the eyes to change focus. The new layout features an analogue tachometer and a digital speedometer, both illuminated from the rear with an adjustable LED glow, giving the rider four options of brightness. Kawasaki has kept the lap timer and clock functions that previously were part of the cluster.

Adding to the NINJA ZX-10R's stable of race-ready features, the engineers worked with Öhlins to create an adjustable steering damper unit with a relief valve and twin-tube design. The second tube acts like a reservoir tank, and the damper internals help ensure stable damping performance, even under the demands of a race course environment.

And the envelope, please.....

Anyone who's experienced the NINJA ZX-10R's awesome performance in the past two years will likely find the 2006 version of Kawasaki's now-perennial award winner an amazing engineering accomplishment. Yes, it incorporates new technologies, and thoroughly refines others. But, at its core, this is a motorcycle built for the accomplished rider who can fully appreciate these improvements—whether put the test at a racetrack, or merely the focus of bench-racing conversation. It is, by all standards, the embodiment of the ultimate superbike.

Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. (KMC) markets and sells at wholesale Kawasaki motorcycles, ATVs, personal watercraft and utility vehicles through a network of more than 1,500 independent retailers, with an additional 8,400 retailers specializing in power products and general purpose engines. KMC and its affiliates employ nearly 2,400 people in the United States, with more than 350 of them located at the Irvine, California headquarters.

Kawasaki's tagline, "Let the good times roll.™", is recognized worldwide and the brand is aggressively carrying its heritage of leading-edge power, performance and exhilaration into the 21st century. Information about Kawasaki's complete line of recreational products and Kawasaki affiliates can be found on the Internet at www.kawasaki.com.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE PDF OF THIS PRESS RELEASE

Source: Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. (KMC)

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Editor's homepage. 
blade954

Parking Attendant
posted August 31, 2005 04:24 PM        
Congratulations. Kawasaki has definitely taken over the "ugliest liter bike" crown. The nose and exhaust are terrible. Gotta love that extra flywheel mass too! They must have been talking to the honda guys. Hold onto your '04 & '05 ZX's boys.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit blade954's homepage. 
blueford

Needs a job
posted August 31, 2005 04:28 PM        
Wowy, I'll take one in black please!
  Ignore this member   
kz2zx

Pro
Nobody in Particular
posted August 31, 2005 04:32 PM        
Aw, crap.

Say it ain't so, Joe!

Ignore this member   
Dino

Pro
posted August 31, 2005 04:37 PM        
sad. Looks like time to jump ship, get an 05, or buy one of these ugly ass things and spend a year trying to make it look good. FAAAAACK!!!!
  Ignore this member   
blade954

Parking Attendant
posted August 31, 2005 04:43 PM        
Good news is that I think they kept that easy-to-read tach!
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit blade954's homepage. 
matt sterbator

Pro
Hiding in the bushes
posted August 31, 2005 04:45 PM        
Good news is that you can probably get a screaming deal on an 05, or someone trying to get out of an '04, lol
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit Matt Sterbator's homepage. 
matt sterbator

Pro
Hiding in the bushes
posted August 31, 2005 04:49 PM        
So that 650R looks pretty sweet
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit Matt Sterbator's homepage. 
phault

Novice Class
posted August 31, 2005 04:56 PM        
WOW im soooo glad i have a 2005 that thing is absolutly hidieous,it looks like a bag of piss ,lets all be thankfull we didnt wait for the 2006,i feel embaressed for kawasaki
  Ignore this member   
trenace

Needs a job
posted August 31, 2005 04:57 PM        Edited By: trenace on 31 Aug 2005 17:58
quote:
Good news is that I think they kept that easy-to-read tach!

No, it says specifically it has an analogue tach.

Black does seem the best color for it. Change out the exhaust, and I'd be happy.

Ignore this member   
redelk

Please... speak to the hand.
posted August 31, 2005 05:14 PM        Edited By: redelk on 31 Aug 2005 18:42
Sad day in

[QUOTE]Originally posted by EDITOR:
Track speed:

-New, extremely light and compact projector beam headlights allowed the design freedom to create the more aerodynamic cowl as well as a more efficient Ram Air duct.

-A reshaped rear seat cowl improves airflow around the back of the ZX-10R, reducing turbulence that causes drag.

-The new dual under-seat exhaust also serves to minimize drag by eliminating the turbulence typically associated with muffler positioning.

-By integrating the front and rear turn signals into the fairing, wind resistance is further minimized. [/QUOTE]

Track speed? TRACK SPEED? Oh my dearest editor, PLEASE tell me you did not write that fluff.

Last time I checked at the "Track", the "aerodynamics" of headlights, tail lights and rear seat cowls were kind of a moot point.... since none of those items would be found on a "Track Bike". Geez, I wonder if AirTech, Sharkskinz and the others will have the little bumps where the headlights were?

Even more puzzling is what they will do in creating a belly pan that meets track specs. Since KHI has chosen to all but completely cut out the bottom of the lower, one can help but wonder what the "aerodynamic loss" would be when that whole area is covered with race plastic/catch pan.

Note to KMC copywriters:

Don't mention headlights, tail lights, turn signals AND TRACK in the same paragraph. It just makes you look stupid(er).

After all, those "aerodynamic benefits" don't mean much at in town traffic speeds. We wouldn't want to promote law breaking, right? On the other hand, it will probably mean a lot at the local Sonic (WOO HOO! sez Captain Calamari).

I can only assume that those heat shields won't be needed at the track ("aerodynamic drag", you know), but one might want to mount them on to their race budget wallet because of the burn they will get trying to buy an after market exhaust. Can you say "a set of slip ons for over $1K"? Neither can I. Maybe with the money saved on not having to get a damper will take some of the sting out of such a purchase.

One could only wish the '06 cluster would work on earlier models (I doubt it). As for the tardy radial master cylinder, I guess the front brakes of the C model did have some room for improvement after all, huh? Was it designed for the 10R or did you finally find out where they were hiding the stockpile of 636/6RR master cylinders? I'm sure that these and other "improvements" will be even a greater difference between the A and B model of the 12R (which "chassis wise" was significant), but one does not always marry "ugly" because she's "good in bed".

Color me sadly unimpressed. I doubt a trip to the dealer to see one in person will sway me that much, either. If I can't wait for the E model (assuming that the '06 is the "D" for "DUH" model), I wonder if the RC8 will be out anytime soon?

.... as the pastor slowly walks away, shaking his head... mumbling something about riding "orange" and needing to puke

Ignore this member    Click here to visit redelk's homepage. 
fattkaw

Expert Class
posted August 31, 2005 05:42 PM        
that thing is soooooooo ugly. styling is a mess!! I'll keep the 04.
  Ignore this member   
trenace

Needs a job
posted August 31, 2005 06:11 PM        
Redelk wrote:
quote:
Track speed? TRACK SPEED? Oh my dearest editor, PLEASE tell me you did not write that fluff.

Last time I checked at the "Track", the "aerodynamics" of headlights, tail lights and rear seat cowls were kind of a moot point.... since none of those items would be found on a "Track Bike".

Actually what they were saying was not that the projector lights per se aid speed on the track: rather, using the projector lights on the street bike enabled a fairing shape and Ram Air duct placement and shape that is beneficial on the track. Larger headlights would have required a difference in fairing shape and Ram Air duct that would not have been as good, according to them. That is the meaning, not that the lights themselves increase "track speed."

Ignore this member   
redelk

posted August 31, 2005 06:22 PM        
I didn't mean to imply that the lights themselves enhanced track speeds, though their wording could be easily viewed as implying such. Making similar comments about the turn signals (which has little bearing on the intake shape) under the same heading "Track speed", just furthers the possible confusion.

The whole wording of the entire press release was so over the top, it would make a sophmore in Marketing 101 puke.

jasonc32amg

Novice Class
posted August 31, 2005 06:31 PM        
No titanium? I think it looks good except for the exhaust...

Ignore this member   
trenace

Needs a job
posted August 31, 2005 06:38 PM        Edited By: trenace on 31 Aug 2005 19:39
Well, I'm glad it does NOT have titanium valves.

I will be interested to see how the Suzuki titanium valves hold up. It seems questionable. There are BSB teams for example that pull the titanium valves to replace with steel. And in terms of race teams buying valves, it's known that there are cheap Ti valves that are no good, while the good ones are quite limited supply and very expensive.

Those who put on a few hundred miles per year obviously it doesn' t matter... those who put on 5K and then trade in it may not matter either. But I seriously suspect that the Suzuki Ti valves will not prove to be worth their lighter weight, in terms of durability or reliability under high stress traded off. Only time will tell though.

Titanium right now is also just not a dollar-smart way to save weight. I proved it with my own stupidity. Dropped about $900 in titanium bolts and a little other assorted hardware and what did it save me? Only about 3 lb.

Manufacturers can put their money into smarter, more productive things than titanium right now.

Ignore this member   
zrxdean

Needs a job
posted August 31, 2005 06:38 PM        
I guess we need to remember that the target market for these machines might be a little less sophisticated than we would hope. How many 18-22 year olds with a part time job qualify for financing, and want dual underseat exhaust? If you want to rail against ridiculous marketing language, there are plenty of other examples worse than this.

In any case, I don't think it looks all that bad.

Dean

Ignore this member   
trenace

Needs a job
posted August 31, 2005 06:42 PM        Edited By: trenace on 31 Aug 2005 19:43
I would venture to say that not 1 buyer in 10 has ever thought about, remembers, or cares about even one reason why underseat is disadvantageous compared to a traditional pipe.

While quite likely 7 or 8 out of 10 believe that it represents "an advance" and a bike with it is better than a bike without it.

Sort of how like on another (non-ZX) board, the members there tend to always exclaim over any new bike, "Oh, that's good, but if only it had a single-sided swingarm!! Then it would be fantastic!"

Being completely unaware that single-sided swingarms are by this time known to be technically inferior and continue to exist only for style reasons (pains me that MV Agusta is inadvertently being knocked by my saying so, but it's true.)

Ignore this member   
lietoome

Needs a job
posted August 31, 2005 06:43 PM        
Did they mention Price? Ohlins damper has to push the price up over last years model.

If it does cost more, does that make this beast the new 'Flashship' for Kawasaki?

I do like how they refered to the far end of the speedometer.(somthing like that.)

Ignore this member   
k bryant

Needs a job
Sponsor
posted August 31, 2005 06:46 PM        
:d
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit K Bryant's homepage. 
Rubber Pants

Zone Head
posted August 31, 2005 06:54 PM        
I'm keeping all 2 of mine after seeing this! Those pipes are gross! And they need to get morei mput from people like us before they go and basterdize this great machine!

IHATE UNDERTAILS!!! TOO LITTLE TOO LATE AS THE NEXT MARKETING SCHEME WILL BE THE LOW EXHAUST SHORT PIPE CONCEPT!
Im pissed! The R1 Looks bettter god forbid!

Why do they belive they need to copy!??

speeddemons.com

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Rubber Pants's homepage. 
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted August 31, 2005 07:00 PM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 31 Aug 2005 20:01
I'll wait til I see it in person and ride the thing... too hard to tell... I wasnt a big fan of the 05 636 but it turns out that it kicks ass... so I'm standing by on this one..

although I do have to say I thought the bellypan exhaust in the photchop looked 1000% cooler than the undertail...

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
redelk

posted August 31, 2005 07:01 PM        
quote:
:d

(KB singing off key)

I'm in the money... I'm in the money

fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted August 31, 2005 07:05 PM        
2 exhausts for the price of one!
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
kz2zx

Pro
Nobody in Particular
posted August 31, 2005 07:12 PM        
I wonder if KB will make a bellypan exhaust and someone else will make a bellypan for that exhaust...

www.dhowellbooks.com

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 6 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5  6     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: Introducing Kawasaki's 2006 Ninja ZX-10R NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.3267080783844 seconds processing time