HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: doug meyer resigns from muzzys performance products, switches industries NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Editor

Administrator
posted March 12, 2005 10:32 AM        Edited By: Editor on 12 Mar 2005 09:36
Doug Meyer Resigns from Muzzys Performance Products, Switches Industries

Doug Meyer has been a fixture in the Motorcycling Industry for decades. It would be safe to say that scores of enthusiasts owe their start and their participation in the Industry to Doug Meyer in some way. This is why it may come as a shock to many that Doug Meyer has not only resigned from Muzzy's Performance Products after a 10 year stint as Rob Muzzy's right hand man, but he is leaving the Motorcycling Industry as well.

Doug had this to say to Bikeland

"I seem to have developed a "life habit" of changing careers or at least jobs every 10 years or so. Lately I've been getting that itch again and it seemed that since January 1st 2005 made it 10 years with Rob it might be an appropriate time to do such a thing. One would think that it would be really stupid to give up what could very well be described as "The Perfect Job", but the truth is, I've been so very lucky having had a series of "perfect jobs", never working so much as just getting paid to do what I love to do anyway.

Muzzys was all of that of course, and I enjoyed my work immensely, but I was feeling that I was a bit limited and sort of "topped out", not really moving forward. Therefore, I resigned about the middle of January, to be effective February 22nd at the close of the Indy trade show. I plan for that show all year and didn't want to leave Rob hanging with no one knowing what to do. Rob appreciated the notice, understood my feelings and wished me luck. Since we are friends and neighbors, we'll remain in touch and I may do some work and test riding "on the side" for him."

Most surprising of all is one of the "real" underlying reasons for Doug's resignation. A man with the "perfect job" in an industry people dream of working in still has a secret passion... in a classic "the grass is always greener" scenario, even people with "perfect jobs" have dreams... and Doug Meyer's is his hobby... flying...

"Most of my friends at Bikeland don't know that I've been a pilot for 37 years, (almost as long as a bike rider) and have been a flight instructor for about 25 years. Last summer I became a factory certified instructor for Lancair, with the ability to train new owners in their aircraft, and they indicated that there would be some part time work for me. The Lancair 400 is just about the most advanced single engine aircraft in the world, all composite, state of the art avionics (and it's the fastest, of course) etc. I heard "through the grapevine" that they were ramping up their marketing department due to a large increase in orders and production. I figured at that point that I ought to send over a resume, that it would be dumb not to. I was pleasantly surprised when they called almost immediately offering me a position in their marketing department. I will be running their "special events" marketing, primarily having a truck (like your average large Nascar race truck) at all the major airshows throughout the US, including the big one at Oshkosh in July and the Reno Air Races in September. I'll be working with customers, potential customers, doing some flight demos, instructing, moving of aircraft coordinating all the off-site marketing. Essentially, my job is the same as it was with Muzzys, except with airplanes instead of motorcycles. "

So, with only a bit of jealousy, we wish Doug Meyer success, enjoying himself flying airplanes for fun everyday. I remember asking Doug a few years back "how I could get his job?"... he told me that "you'd have to kill me". Oh well... if motorcyclist's have luck on their side, Doug will decide that flying is no fun at all as a 9 to 5'er and he'll be back sooner than later... until then....

"It's hard to say which I like more, and it really doesn't matter because I am really just swapping job for hobby and hobby for job. I'm really very excited and can't wait to get into it. I'm headed for Featherlite on Monday to work on the design for the truck. As usual I'm getting paid to do what I love and I'm incredibly lucky to be doing that. The fact is, I'll probably do MORE riding and enjoy my bikes more now that they are a hobby and not a job. I will continue to participate on Bikeland, and you may find that I'll be a bit MORE outspoken. I certainly won't suddenly turn stupid just because I don't work at Muzzys!"

Source: Bikeland.org

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Editor's homepage. 
matt sterbator

Pro
Hiding in the bushes
posted March 12, 2005 10:52 AM        
Well fuckin'a Doug !!!

Funny this comes up now. I've been working on obtaining my private pilot ticket for about the past 4 weeks, and yesterday I solo'd for the first time.

Good luck in your new venture Doug !

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Matt Sterbator's homepage. 
osti33

Needs a job
posted March 12, 2005 11:09 AM        
Good luck with your new job Doug.

Ignore this member   
vozizm

Needs a job
Got Nothing Witty To Say
posted March 12, 2005 11:36 AM        
good luck doug!!!!!!

Ignore this member   
k bryant

Needs a job
Sponsor
posted March 12, 2005 12:02 PM        Edited By: k bryant on 12 Mar 2005 11:02
Kinda ironic with the timing for both of us.... Other than Scuba, I'm living my hobby.
Stay in touch my friend.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit K Bryant's homepage. 
DaveInDaytona

Pro
posted March 12, 2005 12:57 PM        
Cool deal Doug.

I always heard the pilot coming through in your stories, I'm glad you can do some more stuff you will enjoy.

Have fun,

Dave

Ignore this member    Click here to send DaveInDaytona an AIM message. 
Spyral

Pro
Unpredictable individual.
posted March 12, 2005 01:52 PM        
Congrats, Doug. Best of luck!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Spyral's homepage. Click here to send Spyral an AIM message. 
frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted March 12, 2005 02:43 PM        
well colour me surprised! sorry to hear the motorcycling industry has lost a great team member, but glad to hear u havent abandoned motorcycling entirely. all the best in your new career! and if u ever fly north with a set of pontoons on a plane, u gotta stop by for a visit.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit frEEk's homepage. 
your car is slow

Needs a job
Fuck Nitrous...Got Boost?
posted March 12, 2005 04:08 PM        
Sorry to see ya go man!!

Ignore this member    Click here to send Your Car Is Slow an AIM message. 
Scooter

Zone Head
posted March 12, 2005 04:14 PM        
Good luck Doug. Maybe I'll ride my ZXP-40R down for the Oshkosh show if work permits. Lived here 18 yrs and never been. Best wishes and dont be a stranger.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Scooter's homepage. 
Lorcan

Expert Class
posted March 12, 2005 05:02 PM        
Best of luck Doug, and thanks for your help. I'm sure you will enjoy the bikes even more when they aren't in your face every day!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Lorcan's homepage. 
slug

Pro
Out in search of my mind...
posted March 12, 2005 05:40 PM        
Wow. Enjoy the new gig!

(are there speedlimits in the open air?)

Ignore this member    Click here to send Slug an ICQ message. Click here to add 1734970 to your ICQ list. Click here to visit Slug's homepage. Click here to send Slug an AIM message. 
aliveagain

Needs a life
posted March 12, 2005 07:06 PM        
Prosperity and good luck.How long before you start thinking about tweaking the motor alittle or maybe just a few more rpm's would be nice on the Lancair?

Ignore this member   
worm~hole

Needs a life
Miles to go before I sleep....
posted March 12, 2005 08:25 PM        
...good luck, Doug...happy flyin' and thank you for all of your valuable input here at bikeland...until next time...hmmmm....'more outspoken', huh?...well, you're more qualified than most to just tell it like it is, guru-miester!...I look forward to your continued participation!

-George Orwell

Ignore this member   
Red1

Expert Class
posted March 12, 2005 09:41 PM        
Doug,

You have been an invaluable asset to all of us on this board. Your help and expertise has been greatly appreciated. I'm sure you will be just as successful with your new adventure as you have been here with us. We will miss you! Congratulations and Best Wishes!

Take Care,

Red1

Ignore this member   
redelk

Please... speak to the hand.
posted March 12, 2005 10:12 PM        
Congratulations, Mr. Meyer.... I mean, Doug.

Ignore this member   
wannabe

Pro
posted March 12, 2005 10:22 PM        
Congrats, Doug. Those Lancairs are pimp!!! I've been dreaming about one ever since I got my PPSEL. Good luck with your new venture. Lancair is very lucky to have you.

Thank you very much for all of the information you have shared with us over the years. I hope to bump into you at Oshkosh sometime in the next ten years.

Ignore this member   
bigju

Expert Class
posted March 12, 2005 10:53 PM        
best of luck in your new career Doug and thanks for all the help and info you provided
  Ignore this member   
Nukedog

Expert Class
posted March 12, 2005 10:56 PM        
Mat flying...???... I am considering doing that too since i retire soon... Imagine that...

Ignore this member   
zx12mark

Pro
posted March 13, 2005 12:23 AM        
soooooooooo doug why were the 2000 zx12r's delayed. every body thinks kawi was changing something..all the best to you and your new gig..go for it man....
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit zx12mark's homepage. 
lubricity

Expert Class
posted March 13, 2005 04:20 AM        
I hope you are wearing my shirt when you are up there.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit lubricity's homepage. 
Marcos Peguero

Zone Head
posted March 13, 2005 06:43 AM        
Good luck...
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit Marcos Peguero's homepage. 
MadMike

FEAR THE BLACK FLAG!!!!!!!!
posted March 13, 2005 08:01 AM        
quote:
soooooooooo doug why were the 2000 zx12r's delayed.

LMAO...
Doug, Man thank you for all of the knowledge and support you have given me over the last 5 years! you are a great guy! I wish you the best of luck, with your new job! and if you every run though Des Moines, call us!
Mike and Christina Harris!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit MadMike's homepage. 
BROOKLYNNYZX12

Zone Head
posted March 13, 2005 10:18 AM        
Good Luck Doug!!!Doug was always an exclamation point on our posts,I hope this isn't the last we hear from you.

Ignore this member   
Rubber Pants

Zone Head
posted March 13, 2005 11:09 AM        
Way to go there Doug and many thanks for all your advise and info over the past on this site & Good Luck!

Who's taking over your job?

speeddemons.com

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Rubber Pants's homepage. 
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 3 pages long: 1  2  3     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: doug meyer resigns from muzzys performance products, switches industries NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.764021873474 seconds processing time