HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: RECALL LIST 4 EXTENDING YOUR WARRANTY NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
badboy

Novice Class
posted August 06, 2004 02:04 PM        
RECALL LIST 4 EXTENDING YOUR WARRANTY

Hi,

I am starting a list with ZX10R owners Affected by the recall.

Initially every dealer will receive one recall kit with more on order as they become available. I have a lawyer willing to take this on in case Kawasaki gives us problems.

1. The warranty will and should be extended from the date of recal letter 'till it is fixed and you are able to ride again.

If this to be a day or a month, etc.

Only fair way to treat loyal customers.

I would also like people on this board with Links/ties to KMC to forward this message on A.S.A.P.

please provide us with an answer quickly as I will know how to proceed.

Everyone who is with me on this post with your name and any additional comments.

I want to see acknowledgement AND a letter from kawasaki regarding this. I am surprised this already has not been offered by KMC for an DANGEROUS UNRIDEABLE motorcycle.

~BADBOY

Ignore this member    Click here to visit badboy's homepage. 
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted August 06, 2004 02:11 PM        
I'm not clear on what you're asking... you want the normal warranty extended by the downtime you experience because of the recall?

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
badboy

Novice Class
posted August 06, 2004 02:26 PM        
yes...
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit badboy's homepage. 
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
living life, and loving it.
posted August 06, 2004 02:26 PM        
I think that is what he is saying....but not sure ....

Ignore this member   
swft

Needs a life
Full throttle!
posted August 06, 2004 03:15 PM        Edited By: swft on 6 Aug 2004 15:26
Dealers are already getting the wheels. Mine's being replaced today.
  Ignore this member   
redelk

Please... speak to the hand.
posted August 06, 2004 03:16 PM        
Though it would be nice if they did such, it won't happen. At least for those that follow their instructions and are without their bike for less than one month. If the down time was more than 30 days, I would hope that KHI would consider such restitution for the inconvenience one of the vendors to KHI has put on the owners of the 10R. I could easily argue for and agree with the desire to have such an extension, but such requests (or demands) are not made when previous bikes spent a week or more in the dealer's shop for other forms of recall or even warranty related work. The circumstances are very similar, but such a request would fall on deaf ears.

I made a similar request when I returned a BEL radar detector for warranty repairs and was told it could take up to six to eight WEEKS before I received my detector back. When I asked if they would extend my warranty for the period of time the had my unit, they not only told me that they would not, but that they warranty period from the time they shipped it back to me (not when I received it) was now 90 days. I could make no further claims on that unit and receive free repairs after that time. It didn't matter that I had six MONTHS remaining on the original warranty. Legal? Not in the US. BEL is based out of Canada.

For a variety reasons, both somewhat reasonably and others outrageously unjust (in some folks opinions), that's the way it is. If it was solely applicable to this case, it would be a fight worth fighting. In reality, it is no different than the warranties and recalls relating to everything from automobiles to blenders. If it weren't for the fact that precedent on such issues was set long ago and with a variety of consumer products sold here in the US, this would be a reasonable request.

Since that is not the case, no matter how loudly the customers scream and shout... it ain't gonna happen. Has it happened in the past with other or even similar products? Yes, but one would find it to be very difficult to list more than a mere handful of instances where such has taken place.

In the case of the 12R alone, it was no such offer was made in the recalls relating to the gas tank, valve stem nuts or oil in the stator line, Yet all those recalls also recommended that the owners not operate their motorcycles until such repairs were made. The same would apply to recalls issued by Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and all the other major manufacturers.

To "expect" KHI to do such is folly. To "demand" it is almost laughable and would hardly evoke a response. All the angry letters, screaming phone calls and threatening e-mails will do nothing but justify their reasoning on not doing something that they are in no way legally obligated to do.

The potential future purchase customer loss is negligible at worse and almost non-existent at best. Any loss of "faithful" customers (their "faithfulness" being debatable) would be easily made up with new first time customers. On the other hand, the potential legal ramifacations of doing such would be huge.

Some would find it to be equally reasonable for the manufacturer to extent the factory warranty while the bike was in the shop for repairs caused by an accident. Since ALL the parts necessary for said repairs were not readily available, some would think that the manufacturer should compensate. After all, are they not responsible for have such parts available in a timely manner?

Is it the same? Of course not. That is not to say that someone would not try to force such an issue if the manufacturers made some "similar" concession in the past.

Ignore this member   
rubber pants

Zone Head
posted August 06, 2004 03:23 PM        
Things could be worse you couls have an R1 and worry that your bottom end could let go at any moment!

speeddemons.com

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Rubber Pants's homepage. 
swft

Needs a life
Full throttle!
posted August 06, 2004 03:27 PM        
Is that why you wear rubber pants? Your bottom end might let go at any moment?
  Ignore this member   
rubber pants

Zone Head
posted August 06, 2004 03:35 PM        
Actually........."Right you are Ken!" I wear them cause everytime I take that 10 beast out they are needed!

speeddemons.com

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Rubber Pants's homepage. 
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted August 06, 2004 05:19 PM        
badboy.... I could see you having a point if certain people took months or longer to have their wheel replaced (from the time they received their letter) but all in all I think that KMC has a pretty good system in place to switch out the wheels and perform the work...

you'd have to prove in court that KMC took an "unreasonable" amount of time to switch people's wheels out....

I think it's very tough sledding and you're wasting your time. Don't you think KMC has thought of this already?

crispin

Expert Class
posted August 06, 2004 07:53 PM        
I think Kawi is doing a great job.

They did not have to replace everyones wheel.

This board has not seen any wheel failers thus far.

I truly despise the American way of lets sue for everything.

The cost of doing running a company here is increase tremendously by over-ligagation.

I spent over $100,000 to defend my company (and my livelyhood) over a BS lawsuit from a customer of mine.

I have just completed selling my company with over 80 employees as I just could not stand the ligatitaion.

So BADBOY I would want nothing to do with your request and would encourage everyone else to not as well.

Ignore this member   
Michael Lee

Zone Head
Purchase Ivy
posted August 06, 2004 08:01 PM        
I'd just assume buy the extended warranty next year and be done with it all . . . my .10Rcents
  Ignore this member   
kz2zx

Pro
Nobody in Particular
posted August 06, 2004 08:05 PM        
no extended warranty for me, but no class-action suits, either.

KHI is just a-ok in my book - the vendor messed up, and KHI will have them subsume the cost of warranty replacements. I hope they (the wheel vendor) were insured. In Japan, they probably were.

www.dhowellbooks.com

Ignore this member   
boman

Expert Class
posted August 06, 2004 08:06 PM        Edited By: boman on 6 Aug 2004 21:09
Crispin lets not stereotype Americans we are not all lawsuit happy.....
I have talked to my dealer it will be the first of September before my rim gets here. I have chosen to ride my bike,but if I didnt and it was my only transportation I would expect Kawasaki to provide me with a loaner bike until they could properly repair my bike.

Ignore this member    Click here to send Boman an AIM message. 
bovinespongiformencephalo

Pro
variant Kreutzfeldt-Jakob
posted August 06, 2004 09:52 PM        
quote:

...This board has not seen any wheel failers thus far...

Perhaps their heirs didn't share the news with us.

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted August 06, 2004 09:56 PM        
bovine... there have been no wheel failures.

a

Novice Class
posted August 07, 2004 01:29 AM        
extended waranty or not bike will broke the next day when its off. So no use in extension anyway......
  Ignore this member   
swft

Needs a life
Full throttle!
posted August 07, 2004 02:03 PM        
Syntax? Spelling? English?
  Ignore this member   
TurboBlew

Needs a job
BUSY DOING THE SCHIAVO
posted August 07, 2004 09:29 PM        
Badboy, I see no reason why Kawi should voluntarilly extend the initial warranty period...even for a day! If you want longer than 1yrs coverage... pony up and buy it.

That is up to the dealer that does the repair. If they have a backlog of repairs.... thats not Kawi's fault.
Besides the fact that very few...if any are using a ZX10 for primary transportation... any lawyer would see its a "recreational" vehicle.

Your lawyer sounds like he's full of shit or you didnt give them enough background on the issue.
Besides the fact... you are not suffering any kinda loss so you're due no remedy.

Ignore this member   
kdecelle

Novice Class
posted August 08, 2004 06:42 PM        
I bought the 3 year extended warranty without a second thought purely in anticipation of this type of issue. I figure the best is yet to come in year 2 and 3 of this bike.

I predict internal engine failure next July.

But I still love this machine. I find myself petting it like a horse when I get to work everyday and can't stop smiling in the elevator.

I'm a long time Honda fan, but the sound and feel of this animal is converting me every day.

No regrets.

Ignore this member   
gladding24

Parking Attendant
posted August 09, 2004 04:50 PM        
Why next July?

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted August 09, 2004 04:55 PM        
good question? why July? planetary alignment er something?

boman

Expert Class
posted August 09, 2004 06:38 PM        
If you predict next July you should only bought one extra year warranty.
  Ignore this member    Click here to send Boman an AIM message. 
redelk

Please... speak to the hand.
posted August 10, 2004 10:50 PM        
I guess BB gave up on his "list".

Ignore this member   
kdecelle

Novice Class
posted August 11, 2004 11:24 AM        
why july? Because I bought in April and I figure that it will happen after my warranty is up while I am on my yearly bike trip to B.C., probably at the 1500km away from home marker, with the nearest Kawi shop a mere 4 hour tow away.

This will probably be day two of our trip, probably July 3, 2005 to be exact.

Since we are being specific, it'll probably happen on a stretch of road where I'm banked over hanging on for dear life into oncoming traffic. Since the 1500 km marker is approx around Osoyoos, It'll probably on hwy 3 in the second 30km turn on the switchbacks entering town. I'll probably be thrown over the guard rail and slide into town.

Oh the shit I think about when I'm on this machine.......

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: RECALL LIST 4 EXTENDING YOUR WARRANTY NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.726224899292 seconds processing time