HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: Newb looking for biased or unbiased views of 2004 R1 and ZX-10r comparisons NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Thread: Newb looking for biased or unbiased views of 2004 R1 and ZX-10r comparisons
aleek2die

Parking Attendant
posted July 15, 2004 10:52 AM        
Newb looking for biased or unbiased views of 2004 R1 and ZX-10r comparisons

Just curious as to which bike and why?

My newb opinions are that the R1 looks better, but the ZX-10 is a better Performer.

Ignore this member   
extremelean

Pro
posted July 15, 2004 11:27 AM        
As much as everyone would like you to buy a ZX10.....you have to go with your gut.....does the look of the R1 out weight the look of the ZX10?

Good looks and performance go along ways with these 2 machines.

Here is something that might sway you........If you plan on riding in the summer time and going on long rides....you should consider that the R1 has undertail exhaust and gets EXTREMELY hot.....where as the ZX10 has traditional side mount exhaust....A much cooler ride.

Make your decision on how you feel.....just make sure you buy the ZX10....Did i say that??.....just kidding
Good luck and enjoy what ever you purchase and remember if you buy the 10 we're here with lots of good info.

Ignore this member   
trikchop

Expert Class
posted July 15, 2004 11:55 AM        
buy the 10r, its prettier, faster, smells better, and
chics put out more for 10 owners.

Ignore this member   
salsa1

Needs a life
posted July 15, 2004 12:07 PM        
ZX-10R has much better (broader) power band; just gear down and have fun....
  Ignore this member   
Greenzx

Parking Attendant
posted July 15, 2004 01:04 PM        
I got to briefly ride an R1 just a couple of weeks ago so this is my opinion:

R1 is much easier to go fast on out-of-the-box because the front end feels more stable and the torque peak occurs so high in the rpm range, that its difficult to get into trouble. The front end on my ZX never does anything wrong...it just feels like it might.

I'm 220lbs and with the tall gearing and high rpm torque peak of the R1 makes it feels a little weak in the midrange, so you kinda have to ride it like a 600 in that respect. From what the mags say...all hell breaks loose from there on up to the 13k+ redline. I only got to rev this one to 8k.

BTW, the R1's seat does get hot, (103 degrees when I was riding here in Phoenix) particularly towards the rear of the seat.

R1s carry a lot of prestige among people that don't ride sportbikes. So its probably the number one poser sportbike.

Now the Zx10r is an absolute thrill ride. Riding position is perfect for a race replica...weight forward but not alot of weight on the wrists, beautiful exhaust note, hair-trigger throttle, brakes are good but do require more of a healthy squeeze than the R1s'.

A comment I read once by a test rider sums up the Zx10r streetwise:

"Riding the Kawasaki on the street, you get the distinct impression of idling a top fuel dragster across a church parking lot".

Ignore this member   
papawheelie

Expert Class
posted July 15, 2004 03:55 PM        
Good analogy

(ZX= gotta be a good responsible rider
R1= "boy band bike")

Ignore this member   
matt sterbator

Pro
Hiding in the bushes
posted July 15, 2004 04:56 PM        
Define: Newb

Newb as in, new to motorcycles ?

or

Newb as in, new to ZX-10R and R1 ?

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Matt Sterbator's homepage. 
Michael Lee

Zone Head
Purchase Ivy
posted July 15, 2004 05:02 PM        Edited By: Michael Lee on 15 Jul 2004 17:03
You won't go wrong with any liter bike. I had to finance and it came down to promotions. Yamaha financing sucks. For it to be the same finance company "Household", the Kawasaki interest rates are great for a sport bike purchase. 3.99 for 18 months - 6.99 until paid in full. Get the one that makes you look back at it the most when your walking away from it. Good Luck . . . my .10rCents Forgot - Welcome
  Ignore this member   
kevy10

Expert Class
posted July 15, 2004 05:13 PM        
b
  Ignore this member   
kevy10

Expert Class
posted July 15, 2004 05:17 PM        
ooops. buy the r1 if you want to roast your nads and want the balls of a 600. top end does pull but you have to rev the hell out of it. i would buy a gixxer 1000 before the r1. ZX10R PERIOD!
  Ignore this member   
fattkaw

Expert Class
posted July 15, 2004 07:55 PM        
Don't get either if this is your first bike!!
You'll fuckin kill yourself.
SV650 is a kick ass starter bike

Ignore this member   
swft

Full throttle!
posted July 15, 2004 09:55 PM        
SV650 is a kickass bike, beginner or not.
  Ignore this member   
All times are PST(US) < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: Newb looking for biased or unbiased views of 2004 R1 and ZX-10r comparisons NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.222017049789 seconds processing time