HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > DRAGBIKE ZONE.com > Thread: Strapping the front end? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
swft

Needs a life
Full throttle!
posted December 06, 2001 04:58 PM        
Strapping the front end?

Hey guys,

I'm an idiot. Do you strap a front end to (a) lower it or (b) control the amount of fork leg extension coming off the line, or (c) both? I've got the kennedy lowering links on the bike and I strapped it to bring the front end down. The bike handled so bad I brought it back up to stock height on both ends, and took the straps off. Any help would be appreciated!
82 Gpz750, 84 Ninja 900, 2000 ZX12R (Muzzy Big Bore Kit), *another* 2000 ZX12R (Muzzy custom stroke crank 1341cc motor), 2004 ZZR1200, 2005 ZX10R, 2007 ZX14, 2008 Concours 14, 2014 Versys 650, 2014 Yamaha WR450F, 2015 Ninja H2

Ignore this member   
YTRAP

Parking Attendant
posted December 06, 2001 05:34 PM        
Lowering

I lower mine to change the weight transfer. Makes it less prone to wheelie.

Ignore this member   
jessz1

Expert Class
Half the wheels, twice the fun
posted December 06, 2001 06:03 PM        
You are right on both counts. Good for dragging, bad for twisties.
  Ignore this member    Click here to send jessz1 an AIM message. 
anesthesiac12

Novice Class
posted December 06, 2001 06:08 PM        
When i get to the track, I get on a roll,mash the front breaks while pulling on the strap to crank the front down. Then i lower the rear, via a set of dog bones i made myself (threaded rods with heim joints) then its race ready. I wouldnt even think of riding it on the street lowered. I raise her back up when i leave....
  Ignore this member     
TurboBlew

BUSY DOING THE SCHIAVO
posted December 06, 2001 06:38 PM        
Make sure you fasten the strap to the bottom caliper bolts...otherwise your ZX12 fork legs will have a *franken-scar*...lol

Ignore this member   
kcadby

Pro
posted December 07, 2001 12:05 AM        
Yup...use the bottom bolts...
DON'T use the top bolts with the brackets turned to clear the tubes either!!! IT WILL CUT THE STRAPS as they age...

As you experienced swft...lowering SUCKS for street handling but...it makes a BIG difference at the drag strip...

The strap lowers the front and STOPS the front from gaining the upward inertia that it would on launch if it was left loose to extend upward...GOT IT???

Ignore this member    Click here to visit kcadby's homepage. 
OzRed12

Novice Class
posted December 07, 2001 11:20 PM        
strap

hmmm... That's news to me...I use the top bolts with washers so it doesn't mark the forks. What is the reason you guys are using the bottom bolts?

Ignore this member   
YTRAP

Parking Attendant
posted December 08, 2001 07:04 PM        Edited By: YTRAP on 8 Dec 2001 21:53
Permanent also

Mines lowered 1" front and back. Tubes up in the triple tree and cut the springs on the back. I can still turn pretty good!

Ignore this member   
kawachan

Pro
posted December 16, 2001 04:14 PM        
I use a strap too, but I just drilled me some new holes to the side so my forks wouldn't get scarred like my first 12. Bike REALLY launches good using the bottom hole of my Kennedy links. Had to raise it to the middle hole since it was hitting my undertail and almost rubbing a hole in it. at first I thought I was burning the clutch a bit. Found the hole after three launches and raised it back up a lil. Strap gives me a better 60 ft and less wheelies. Less wheelies = less tickets for me on the street.

Ignore this member   
entropy

posted December 16, 2001 05:08 PM        
quote:
...using the bottom hole of my Kennedy links. ....

uh, what kind of "Kennedys" do you have?????

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > DRAGBIKE ZONE.com > Thread: Strapping the front end? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.21648597717285 seconds processing time