HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > DRAGBIKE ZONE.com > Thread: Your thoughts on lock up clutch NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
OzRed12

Novice Class
posted December 01, 2001 08:45 AM        
Your thoughts on lock up clutch

Well today my second clutch in 12500 miles has gone, that includes about 200 drag launches. I have zx6r springs and all 2mm steels with one less fibre, I have the hub and push shaft mods for oil flow. Should I just get stock plates and get another 200 launches out of them or should I go for a lock up clutch and or muzzy clutch?

Is the lock up clutch ok on the street and twisties riding or just for drag racing and what would the major benefit be of having one?

I think my clutch is gone because I probably did a few runs with not enough cool down time in between runs last Wednesday. Before that it seems to have been quite an OK set up. On the other hand, would I be able to just bead blast the old steel plates and continue using them?

I don't know which way to go at the moment, so please give me your .02 worth, thanks.

Ignore this member   
TurboBlew

Needs a job
BUSY DOING THE SCHIAVO
posted December 01, 2001 06:43 PM        
Well a clutch is supposed to wear! Depending on how much usage you are getting out of them, may determine your need for a lockup. Personally I dont like lockups, but if my bike needed one...well then it have to be installed. If you do alot of dragracing, I would assume the launch is smoking your clutch, not the top end so much.
Ask yourself, is the clutch slipping at high rpms?? Are you losing mph at the strip?? I would just let the bike cool more between rounds and see how that works for you. Use the lock up at the last resort!

Ignore this member   
kcadby

Pro
posted December 01, 2001 09:10 PM        
I agree...
It's not worth it unless you NEED it...
200 launches??? is GREAT for a set of plates...I think...

I know this has been bounced around before but...
I HAVE to add a thin steel plate to the clutch (AFTER the NEW plates have worn some) to get the "full use" out of a set of fibre plates...

If you "used-up" the fibre plates to the point where the pressure plate was bottoming out on the inner hub???
(this DID happened to me...)
NOTHING will stop it from slipping and burning the steel plates. Not even a lock-up...

If the fibres weren't 'worn out' to the point of the pressure plate bottoming out...but the steels/fibres are "cooked" then...you didn't let it cool enough...

Ignore this member    Click here to visit kcadby's homepage. 
OzRed12

Novice Class
posted December 02, 2001 03:08 AM        
thanks guys

Thanks guys, it seems that I should be happy getting 200+ launches out of a set of plates, which could have been more if I had not been so keen to race last week

Ignore this member   
MadMike

FEAR THE BLACK FLAG!!!!!!!!
posted December 02, 2001 08:14 AM        
Oz your right on that one, you should be happy your getting 200 launches!! Id keep doing what your doing. man I only get around 50 launches before my clutch starts to get fried!
mad mike

Ignore this member    Click here to visit MadMike's homepage. 
krexken

Zone Head
posted December 02, 2001 10:27 AM        
I didn't have much luck beadblasting the old, blued steels. It didn't take long for it to go up in smoke again. Usually when they blue, they get high spots on them that keep it from usuing all of the steel so they quickly get hot again.
  Ignore this member   
entropy

posted December 02, 2001 11:57 AM        
I second Krex's opinion on blued steels: junk 'em.

Oz: if you are going to keep hammering it on 1/4 mi, it might be a good idea to get a Muzzy/Falicon basket....

BTW, I am in awe of your clutch life. What is your quickest time???

Ignore this member   
OzRed12

Novice Class
posted December 03, 2001 01:02 AM        
clutch

entropy. my quickest time is 9.95, I'm still a beginner, but getting better every day. My clutch setup is as follows:

all zx6r springs
hole drilled into push shaft
holes drilled into hub
less one fibre plate
all 2mm steel plates, no 1.4mm plates

This setup seems to work fine. Madmike if you are changing plates often, I would be going broke. PLates here cost around $250 US for a full set of fibre/steel, you must be going through a truck load of money.

If I didn't do so many launches back to back last week I would probably got another 200 launches out of them.

Ignore this member   
entropy

posted December 03, 2001 03:12 AM        
Oz,
the reason I asked about your quickest time is so I could relate your experience to mine.

I got just over 100 passes out of my 1st clutch pack, but my times were never better than 9.9's. When I changed my technique and snapped off the line, but then slipped the clutch to maintain higher rpm for 60'/330' my times improved dramatically (best 9.638) but clutches went south after about 30 (or less) passes. Hey, charter members of Team Fat Ass have to pay extra dues!

It sounds to me like your current clutch set up mimics a Muzzy and should do fine. I would think about a Muzzy/Falicon basket though...

Ignore this member   
OzRed12

Novice Class
posted December 03, 2001 08:02 AM        
muzzy

entropy, yeah i think my clutch does similate the muzzy without paying the bucks. If the basket goes, I'll claim that under warranty, but I have a bit of faith in it.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > DRAGBIKE ZONE.com > Thread: Your thoughts on lock up clutch NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.606884002686 seconds processing time