HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > DRAGBIKE ZONE.com > Thread: 2015 Brings BNG to the ZX-14R NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Staff

Administrator
posted July 11, 2014 12:31 PM        Edited By: Princesskiwi on 12 Jul 2014 14:20
2015 Brings BNG to the ZX-14R

Kawasaki rounds out their top line model announcements for 2015 with a 30th anniversary edition of the ZX-14R, Though billed as a limited edition with 30 units going to Canada, and 300 Stateside - branded as MY2015 it's safe to assume that this equals their announcements on the 6R and 10R. Unless Kawi has some surprise announcement on the Concours or an all new ZXR, we're looking at a rather static year from Big Green.

Kawasaki says:

Only 300 ZX-14R Limited Edition motorcycles will be available, all individually numbered and finished in exactly the same shade of Firecracker Red and Metallic Graystone paint as the 1984 Ninja® 900 – the motorcycle that started the superbike revolution. It even has the same narrow Gold pinstriping and gets gold brake calipers. 30th Anniversary logos on the fairing sides and a numbered badge on the gas tank will further identify the Limited Edition models.

NEW 2015 KAWASAKI NINJA ZX-14R LIMITED EDITION FEATURES
· Limited to 300 numbered models
· Unique numbered badge on gas tank
· Finished in Firecracker Red / Metallic Graystone paint with Gold pinstriping and brake calipers
· Available to order at a Kawasaki dealer from July 15, 2014, 9:00am PDT
· Powerful 1441cc inline four-cylinder engine with selectable Power Modes
· ABS, Traction Control and adjustable suspension
· Kawasaki One-Year Warranty

Kawasaki recently released Anniversary Editions of the Ninja ZX-10R and ZX-6R featuring color schemes to celebrate the company’s success in the 2013 World Superbike Championship. Now the flagship ZX-14R commemorates the original spirit of the 1984 Ninja 900, which was the first fully faired superbike and sported Kawasaki’s most powerful engine of its day. Similarly, the 2015
ZX-14R continues that cutting edge tradition by featuring one of the most powerful production engines in the world and can claim to be the quickest production motorcycle in the world.

LIMITED EDITION

Following the official announcement of the 2015 Ninja ZX-14R ABS Limited Edition at the Laguna Seca round of the 2014 World Superbike Championship, potential customers can order one of the 300 models on July 15, 2014 at 9:00am PDT.

Orders must be taken by a Kawasaki dealer, along with a $1,000 non-refundable deposit. Orders will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis via a time and date stamp.

Although the anniversary of the Ninja takes place this year, Kawasaki decided to make the ZX-14R ABS Limited Edition a 2015 model. Each ZX-14R will have the bodywork painted in the same Firecracker Red and Metallic Graystone paint as the original machine.

During the motorcycle’s inception, the development team looked at updating the original colors with a modern interpretation of the famous red and gray paint. However, they kept returning to the classic colors that stood out better than any new combinations. Parked side by side, the 1984 Ninja 900 and 2015 ZX-14R ABS Limited Edition bring together 30 years of motorcycle enthusiasm and passion.

The ZX-14R also received Gold pinstriping to define the painted areas. The development team also chose to finish the brake calipers in an identical gold to add another touch of class to Kawasaki’s flagship motorcycle.

Only 300 2015 ZX-14R ABS Limited Edition motorcycles will be available for purchase in the USA and Latin American markets. A separate edition of 30 motorcycles will also be produced for the Canadian market, with specific numbering for that production run. Otherwise, these very special models will not be available in any other market around the world, making them an instant collectors’ edition.

ENGINE & TRANSMISSION

Just as the 1984 Ninja 900 boasted the most powerful production engine of its day, so does the 2015 Kawasaki ZX-14R Limited Edition. The 1,441cc DOHC inline-four represents the pinnacle of supersport power and performance.

The character of the power delivery is as important as the peak number, so the surface-milled combustion chambers and polished intake ports help to spread the powerband as wide as possible.

The dual gear-driven counterbalance set-up has been optimized to work with the long-stroke crankshaft, providing the legendary smooth power delivery of the ZX-14R across the entire rev range.

The high-lift camshafts are operated by a cam chain and tensioner to operate reliably at high RPM, while the lightweight forged pistons are cooled by an oil jet that pumps lubricant at the underside of each piston for better cooling and increased performance. They also have extra strong alloy connecting rods with robust 40mm crankshaft main journals.

The fuel delivery is precisely metered by a Digital Fuel Injection (DFI®) system that offers automatic idle adjustment to reduce emissions. The intake system uses a ram-air effect to generate more power at high RPM, while the exhaust comprises a high-performance system with large-diameter tapered header pipes and large-volume mufflers, each with an advanced catalyzer to minimize emissions.

The benefit of this continuous engine development is class-leading power everywhere across the rev range. The advantages are most profound in the mid- and high-RPM range, yet the 1.4-liter engine can also provide incredible acceleration from as little as 4,000rpm. This translates into the sort of thrust any rider can appreciate in a wide variety of situations.

Of course, every aspect of the ZX-14R has to be capable of running with its phenomenal powerplant, so the transmission gears have been both heat- and surface-treated to ensure strength, smooth shifting and a long service life.

POWER MODES, ABS, TRACTION CONTROL

The most important aspect about a high-performance motorcycle is the ease with which a rider can control it, and the 2015 Ninja ZX-14R ABS has a host of features to keep the rider in charge.

The rider can also choose to select two engine power levels by using the two-mode Hi/Low power selector switch. This allows the rider to select either full power or reduce it by 75-percent to suit the prevailing conditions.

Furthermore, there is a three-mode Kawasaki Traction Control (KTRC) system, where the first two modes are intended to maximize acceleration and is similar to the S-KTRC system found on the ZX-10R. The third mode is tuned for low-traction (wet/slippery) conditions, similar to the Concours® 14 sport tourer. The KTRC system can also be turned off completely by the rider using the bar-mounted toggle/push switch, which also operates the Power Modes. KTRC activity can be monitored on the cockpit’s LCD info screen.

Finally, there is a back-torque-limiting “slipper” clutch assembly, a technology taken directly from the racetrack. It helps eliminate the wheel-hop and torque effects of energetic downshifting while braking for a corner, or even during spirited stops, giving the rider even greater control.

CHASSIS

Kawasaki engineers designed the monocoque chassis to deliver a light-handling and maneuverable motorcycle. For real sport riding performance, the engineers designed the frame’s aluminum castings and forgings to allow unique flex and rigidity characteristics, giving an ideal balance to exploit the world class power and acceleration capabilities of the ZX-14R.

Front and rear suspension tuning helps maintain the wheel control, ride comfort and maneuverability. Both the 43mm fully adjustable inverted front forks and multi-adjustable single rear shock offer excellent responses throughout a wide speed range, while the machined ten-spoke wheels reduce unsprung weight to aid acceleration, handling and suspension action.

The Ninja ZX-14R ABS features a powerful and responsive anti-lock brake system (ABS), for additional rider confidence on mixed or slippery surfaces. Triple-petal-type brake rotors and radial-mount calipers help provide powerful, fade-free stops and a progressive feel at the lever.

BODYWORK

Dynamic styling has been a Kawasaki hallmark ever since the Ninja 900 first hit the streets in 1984, so it’s only fitting that the pinnacle of this long line of sportbikes would still look the part.

From nose-to-tail, the ZX-14R’s bodywork honors the angular and flowing shapes that have made recent Ninja models among of the most attractive sportbikes on the road. The front is especially imposing, with an aggressive fairing fitted with a unique quad-headlight assembly and large ram-air duct to force cool air into the intake system.

The traditional four-fin styling theme along the side of the fairing has a pronounced 3D design, with effort taken to conceal its fasteners as much as possible.

The bike’s tail section is especially sculpted, with integrated turn signals and a cool rear seat cowl – supplied as standard on the 2015 ZX-14R ABS Limited Edition – boosting its aerodynamic performance when the passenger seat isn’t in use.

The seat offers excellent thigh support, making it comfortable on long journeys and allowing shorter riders to reach the ground. The bodywork’s venting system also extracts heated air from the engine bay and routes it away from the rider and passenger.

Instruments and controls feature a multi-function switch on the left handlebar to operate all the system’s functions. It allows the rider to toggle through settings on the LCD screen using the upper/lower buttons, scrolling through fuel consumption, remaining range, battery voltage, external temperature, traction control, etc. You can both choose and adjust functions using the ‘Select’ button in the center of the toggle switch. There is even an “Eco” indicator on the LCD screen that tells the rider when they are getting maximum fuel economy and mileage.

The end result of all this technology and features is a dominating supersport riding experience that is available to a limited number of riders in this very special 30th Anniversary paint scheme. Of course, the 2015 ZX-14R ABS will also be available in other colors without a limit on production for riders not able to secure one of the 300 Limited Edition motorcycles.

ACCESSORIES

As always, Kawasaki Genuine Accessories are available through authorized Kawasaki dealers for all ZX-14R models.

KAWASAKI ONE-YEAR WARRANTY

Completing the appeal of the 2015 ZX-14R ABS is Kawasaki’s promise to keep you running Strong with our standard One-Year Limited Warranty. We don’t just want you to enjoy the ZX-14R, we want you to live the supersport lifestyle and be absorbed in its 30-year heritage: a heritage of performance and passion.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Staff's homepage. 
Shane661

Needs a life
posted July 11, 2014 02:33 PM        Edited By: Shane661 on 11 Jul 2014 22:36
Pretty cool that they brought back the original 900 paint scheme. Wasn't expecting much else...there is no incentive. They do the Ohlins thing on the European bikes, but not here, I guess. Unless they are saving that for next year's big upgrade!!

quote:
Just as the 1984 Ninja 900 boasted the most powerful production engine of its day

I think the GS1150 and FJ1100 might beg to differ on that...at least in the real world.

Shane

Ignore this member   
Brock

Sponsor
posted July 11, 2014 02:52 PM        
Stickers...

+ paint (:

Brock
Brock’s Performance

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Brock's homepage. 
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted July 11, 2014 04:18 PM        
I guess I was wrong. Is there a plate of crow cooking for me somewhere

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
MotoCycho

Expert Class
posted July 11, 2014 04:44 PM        
wtf? its like shit and puke butt fucked and had a toilet baby!
  Ignore this member   
fullzx12r

Zone Head
French Guy
posted July 11, 2014 10:11 PM        

zzr 1400 12'

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fullzx12r's homepage. 
fullzx12r

Zone Head
French Guy
posted July 11, 2014 10:12 PM        
30 for canada

300 for USA and latin country

i like it, but no ohins, no spe exhaust ......
zzr 1400 12'

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fullzx12r's homepage. 
Shane661

Needs a life
posted July 12, 2014 03:00 AM        

Ignore this member   
HiMile14

Expert Class
posted July 12, 2014 07:13 AM        
Hi All,

Have I missed the obvious!! If the Ninja 900 was a 1984 and the new anniversary ZX-14 is a 2015 I count 31 years. Sorry to be a stickler of detail but I'm calling Kawasaki out on this one.

OK I like to solve problems and not just note them, so Kawasaki here is how you solve this issue.

Introducing the new 2014.5 30th anniversary Kawasaki ZX-14R (along with the ZX-6R and ZX-10R).

We understand that the VIN number will be represented as a 2015, but I only see that as an upside to the customer.

OK Kawasaki I have solved your issue and you know the funny thing is? If they were to do as I have suggested I'd bet they would sell out the anniversary Bikes quickly. Wouldn't you like to be an owner of the stamp printed upside down (note I know nothing about stamps)? Sometimes mistakes acknowledged is itself the best advertising.

It's tough being a nerd.

Take care all
Rob
ZX-14 6,120 miles
VFR 63,930 miles

Ignore this member   
cliffrandall

Zone Head
posted July 12, 2014 06:18 PM        
Christ those pipes are huge!
Cliff

Ignore this member   
ZXLNT

Needs a job
Kawpuke Extraordinare
posted July 12, 2014 07:15 PM        
Same size as they have been for the last 3 years..

Ignore this member   
cliffrandall

Zone Head
posted July 13, 2014 05:30 PM        
Still huge!
Cliff

Ignore this member   
Gunner

Needs a life
posted July 13, 2014 09:41 PM        Edited By: Gunner on 14 Jul 2014 05:52
http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=27&TID=75687&set_time=

Hate to say I told you so but..... BOLD NEW GRAPHICS !!! EXCITING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quote:
Colors... maybe stickers.

Brock
Brock’s Performance

Well I called it Bold New Graphics but I think we agree here....

Until someone come along and kicks the 14R off the top Kawasaki won't give anymore of anything to anyone.. Sykes will repeat as the WSB plate holder this years but Kawasaki will slouch around and make it impossible for him to defend next year that much you can bet. With new rules for WSB in 2015 there won't be a new 10R until that shakes out for at least 1 season to see where they need to go. Kawasaki are conservative when it comes to releasing new technology. But ever once in a great while they do something like the 2004 10R and the 12R which has led to the 14R.. but they are slow to respond in most cases.

With Suzuki getting back into WSB this year and MotoGp next year I look for them to drop a bomb before Kawasaki does.

Ignore this member   
Brock

Sponsor
posted July 14, 2014 07:19 AM        
Gunner,

I will disagree with you on the future. KHI make it's money elsewhere (big boats, heavy equipment etc.) and it looks to me that they 'dabble' in motorcycles, comparatively. With all of the chaos going on in Japan in the last several years (Tsunami, earthquakes etc.), my guess is that the parent co. is doing quite well. Now look at the others: Suzuki: nearly bankrupt worldwide (did go bankrupt in the US) Honda (automotive and bikes in a huge slump) Yamaha (bikes and recreational industry/musical equipment - huge stump). Good business sense would be... if you have the means >>> kick them while they are down!

I would expect a suplex off of the top rope from Kawasaki in the next several years. Big bikes, ATV's - all of them. They might as well firmly establish themselves as the leaders in the motorcycle industry, while the others are powerless ( or don't WANT to afford) to do anything about it.

Brock
Brock’s Performance

Gunner

Needs a life
posted July 14, 2014 03:23 PM        
Well Brock we'll just have to agree to disagree on what Kawasaki will do. The 14R is so far ahead of EVERYTHING I don't see Kawasaki doing anything other than Bold NEW Graphics until they are forced to improve. They have already released the 2015 ZX10R and 6R with BOLD NEW GRAPHICS!! So where is the kick em while they're down attitude you say they have? We already know it won't happen before 2016 model year and I highly doubt Suzuki will sit with their thumb up their arse until after 2016 before they make an attempt to regain their Busa market which the 14R has rapidly over taken since 2012..

Ignore this member   
ZXLNT

Needs a job
Kawpuke Extraordinare
posted July 14, 2014 05:40 PM        
quote:
Still huge!
Cliff

Still the same. So what, many people will replace them anyway. And those that dont, probably dont care..

Ignore this member   
WindSwordNinja

Expert Class
posted July 14, 2014 09:34 PM        
Well no matter what you think of the 30th anniversary ZX14R at least our flag was on one of the prototypes!

"Faster, faster! Faster would be better!" (Serenity)

Ignore this member   
WindSwordNinja

Expert Class
posted July 14, 2014 10:11 PM        
The very first Ninja!
1984 ZX900 serial #1 and why Kawasaki choose the paint scheme for the limited edition ZX14R.

Ignore this member   
WindSwordNinja

Expert Class
posted July 14, 2014 10:14 PM        

Ignore this member   
WindSwordNinja

Expert Class
posted July 14, 2014 10:16 PM        
Oh and yeah our flag was on it!!!!

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted July 15, 2014 05:40 AM        

ZXLNT

Needs a job
Kawpuke Extraordinare
posted July 15, 2014 06:02 AM        
To expand on what Brock said, I would love to see Kawasaki stand on Suzuki's throat for while.....

Ignore this member   
Gunner

Needs a life
posted July 15, 2014 01:33 PM        
quote:
To expand on what Brock said, I would love to see Kawasaki stand on Suzuki's throat for while.....

NO ONE living would rather see me wrong here and Brock right more than I, but it's just not going to happen. The 10R is stagnant already and they have already released the 2015 model 2 months back with BOLD NEW GRAPHICS!! and now the 14R is following suit with BOLD NEW GRAPHICS!

Where I will agree with Brock 100% is Kawasaki have a perfect opportunity to choke the living shit out of everyone if they had any intentions at all of doing so but the 2015 model year seeing NOTHING but decals being changed should prove to anyone paying attention they don't much care about giving anyone anything more. Hell they could at least improve upon what they have past decals. Put some nice shocks, forks, and brake parts on the thing. Offer a 10R that's like the BMW HP4 model.. Offer a 10R with top of the line parts including light weight wheels, Brembo brakes, Ohlins on both ends, The same swingarm that they race WSB with instead of that BS one they sell because they need the room the racing swingarm takes up for that HUGE exhaust system that get's JUNKED 1st thing anyway. Fix that RETARDED windscreen that sits above the fairing instead of under the plastic where the race bike fits.

Point is they could improve the stuff they already make very easily if their give a damn wasn't broken. The 14R could just as easily be offered in an upgraded offering with some nice parts like listed above and it would sell.

Ignore this member   
Brock

Sponsor
posted July 16, 2014 05:19 AM        Edited By: Brock on 16 Jul 2014 13:25
Don't get me wrong... I'm still a Suzuki fan - but this is business. It takes several years to develop world-class machines. BMW hasn't REALLY updated the S1000RR since 2010… seems like they are due for an honest upgrade. (HP4 is ‘nice’, but give us a new bike already.) Once again, good business dictates that KMC/KHI would wait to deliver on a new 10R (after BMW), even if it were close to production. There is ZERO reason to release new models the same year as your competition these days (unless you have a world-class gangster), the consumer confusion might lead to indecision. The only other reason would be to beat the competition to market.

I can’t fault Kaw for not caring… at least they tried to fight back against the BMW with the updated ZX-10R. Suzuki and Honda pretended that it didn't exist. I’ll give a tip of the hat to Ducati even, that 1199 runs much better than I thought. And if it weren't for Kaw – everyone would still be on a Busa.

Just my 2 cents. I just wish ONE of them would create SOMETHING **NEW** FAST and exciting!

Brock

fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted July 16, 2014 06:01 AM        
Brock raises an interesting point. I was personally at the Kawasaki dealer meeting (think it was in 2004 have been to many) where they announced their two year development cycle. I thought it was pretty wild that you could expect a redo every two years. Considering the complexity of the machines and the testing required it's a heck of a goal to live up to. They reiterated what Brock is saying about continuing development at their Florida meeting think it was 2 years ago (correct me if I'm wrong Brock).

Difficult in this economic climate and in this global climate of development where phones and computers get turned over every quarter for the two wheel OEMs to keep pace. It's a real pickle they are in. Their customer base has been online and grown with them (as have we at Bikeland) for the last 15 years. When our site started Kawasaki's PR dept was headed up by a very progressive lady named Jan Plessner. While the other manufacturers turned their back on the Internet (literally - man can I tell you some stories) and social media, Jan saw that this was the way things were going. She laid the groundwork to build an enormous fan base online for kawasaki and she was honestly a good 8 years ahead of her competition. The downside of it is that all those online fans and owners are still online here and at all the other sites that have sprung up in our wake. I never imagined this site would be here for a decade and a half. Now you have people who loyally followed a progressive company who have been along for the ride for all these years wondering what is going on.

Now I'm just rambling.

All times are America/Va [ This thread is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > DRAGBIKE ZONE.com > Thread: 2015 Brings BNG to the ZX-14R NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.3026270866394 seconds processing time