HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > DRAGBIKE ZONE.com > Thread: I need advice on getting a BIKE TRAILER NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
BA

Pro
posted November 18, 2001 02:10 PM        
I need advice on getting a BIKE TRAILER

I definitely want something enclosed.
I remember the name Haulmark, but haven't gone trailer shopping yet.

Can anyone give me some other brand names to look for?

And prices too! Any advice about what this is going to cost me would be great.

Any extra info about whether they all have the side door's, electrical capabilities, weight of the trailer, would all help too.

I'll surf the web soon, but wanted advice from this board first.

PS. USED WOULD BE COOL TOO!!!!

Thanks!

BA

Allan

Ignore this member   
harryzx-12

Needs a job
posted November 18, 2001 03:49 PM        
Wells fargo or cargo? What size trailer are you getting?
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways- Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out...Screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride !!!"

Ignore this member   
anesthesiac12

Novice Class
posted November 18, 2001 07:19 PM        
I bought a "Classic" trailer, Very nice fit and finish, seemed to be a little better quality then the wells cargo and halmark.
  Ignore this member     
BA

Pro
posted November 18, 2001 07:49 PM        Edited By: BA on 18 Nov 2001 18:52
What Size???

I think I'm looking for your basic single bike, enclosed trailer. I probably can't afford anything else!

If the darn thing could actually hold TWO bikes, all the better, but financially, I may have to suffice with just one bike.

Don't laugh, but my tow vehicle at this point in time would be an Acura Legend. hey, no laughing! It's a 6 cylinder and it puts out 225hp, so I can't have TOO BIG of a trailer.
I think the car is only rated Class 1.

Ignore this member   
ZRXDean

Needs a job
posted November 18, 2001 11:31 PM        
BA- the good names are Haulmark, CargoMate, Featherlite, Pace... but the smallest available is 5x8 by 5' tall- barely enough to get a bike in, and they usually go for close to 2K new. Dragbike.com classifieds are a good place to look- cheaper and already set up for a bike, chocks, ramp door, etc. Ebay is also good, but the selection where you are (Illinois?) can be limited. The "Trader" publication has an Heavy Equipment issue that had a lot of trailers in it, at least around here. I ended up finding a super cheap dealer close to me, and ordered an Apple Valley (bottom-end brand) 5x10, inside height of 6'6", with manual ramp door, side door, stone guard, & interior light, for $1550. Always nice to get a new one, with choice of color, fresh tires, guarantee, etc. Good luck- Dean
  Ignore this member   
snowcombine

Parking Attendant
posted November 19, 2001 11:01 AM        
Trailers

I bought mine for $2750. Its a Cargo Mate 6x12. You need to decide what you want when looking- if you want a side door, what kind of axle you want whether it be leaf springs or torsion axle, if you want a vent, lights inside, jacks on the back so you can load it without being hooked up to the truck, a one piece roof, gravel gaurd in front, and what kind of door in back. You can get two door in the back that open to the sides or a singlr door that open down andyou can just drive right up it. Mine has all the bells and whistles with the torsion axle. Also another thing to look at it how thick the plywood is on the walls and the floor and how close the wall studs are. Trailer brakes are usually only seen on tanddem axle trailers as they are required, but not usually seen on single axle trailers.

Does this help?

Ignore this member   
BA

Pro
posted November 19, 2001 05:34 PM        
Yes, Yes, Yes

All good stuff! Thanks everyone.

Don't stop now, keep it coming!

Ignore this member   
redelk

Please... speak to the hand.
posted November 20, 2001 08:26 AM        
Wells Cargo

This one is the 5' x 10' that's specifically for bikes.

Has "flow thru" ventilation with an intake vent on one side and an exhaust vent on the other. This is so gas fumes don't build up in the trailer. It really works and is completely water tight. Has rain gutters all the way around wit extra large gutters over the rear and side doors.

Drop down ramp is only 12" above the ground at the trailer. It's spring loaded like a home garage door and can be lifted with one finger. There are two large rubber cushions on the top of the door that keeps the door from ever actually touching the ground.

The axle have buddy bearings for easy lubrication and a weird (but effective) suspension that uses a rubber thing instead of leaf springs. Comes with electric brakes (unique for such a small trailer) and stablizer jacks in back. The wheel for the tongue jack is removable without any tools (just slides onto a groove on the jack). I've had no problem in pulling it through my front yard by myself (and I'm a wimp).

Comes with two lights inside and clearance lights front, back as well as on the fenders. I added a set of cheap driving lights above the ramp.

There's plenty of room for my bike, my rolling bottom tool box (wheels removed and bolted to the floor), a 3 shelf cabinent up front and all my other gear. I carry a LOT of "other gear"! Just ask anyone that was at the first Gap event.

Bought it used from a neighbor for $2500. He'd used it once. $2500 might be a tad steep (retails for about $4750), but he's letting me pay him $50 a month. I couldn't pass it up. From what I understand, Wells Cargo trailers have great resale value, too. The only thing I hate about it is that I keep forgetting it's back there. Even when it's fully loaded!

Ignore this member   
ZRXDean

Needs a job
posted November 20, 2001 08:35 AM        
Man, that is a sweeeet trailer redelk. $2500 is a steal for that Cadillac.
  Ignore this member   
BA

Pro
posted November 20, 2001 01:20 PM        
Sweeeet

I gotta admit it RedElk, that is one good looking trailer.

You're right though, it's a little on the expensive side for it's small size, but damn, it really looks nice, and I don't think I'd have any problems towing it either.

Good pics too!

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > DRAGBIKE ZONE.com > Thread: I need advice on getting a BIKE TRAILER NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.62250995636 seconds processing time