HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > DRAGBIKE ZONE.com > Thread: 2004 ZX12 cheap mods NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
KingKwik

Expert Class
9.36@ 149.23
posted November 18, 2006 10:34 AM        
2004 ZX12 cheap mods

Hi guys and gals..
I recently bought a 04 zx12 and was looking for some advice.
I've been riding on the street for 25yrs and dragracing street bikes for 10yrs. I bought the 12 especially for the convenience of both. Although this is my street bike it will see the strip approximately 3 weekends a year. It gets trailered there so Im looking for simple mods to make it a little quicker. Im not replacing the stock pipe yet (money issues), just taking the muffler off and running straight pipe, I cut the cat out aleady. Its down 1 tooth in the front, and have lowering links in the back and a tie down strap for the front end. I was wondering about things like a muzzy timing advancer. Does it work and what are the results and is it a simple bolt in replacement. These exhaust block off plates, what do they do and what can I expect in return..
Is there any other simple mods other than the pipe and pcIII as per usual changes.
I'll probably get extensions next year and maybe a shoot out tire, but until then just looking for an edge...

thanks a lot....

GREAT SITE!!!!

Ignore this member   
NINJA12

Needs a job
posted November 18, 2006 12:45 PM        
Can't vouche for the 04 but the earily 12s loved timing.
I think bolt -ons and a few links of chain would pay good at the track.

Ignore this member   
MadMike

FEAR THE BLACK FLAG!!!!!!!!
posted November 18, 2006 01:47 PM        
Welcome to the site!!!!

Mad Mike

Ignore this member    Click here to visit MadMike's homepage. 
TurboBlew

Needs a job
BUSY DOING THE SCHIAVO
posted November 18, 2006 04:40 PM        
Any year pipe will fit your Zx12....so Id keep my eyes peeled. Used aftermarket pipes run $300-600 in excellent condition.

The weak spot is the clutches so put some springs, a drilled hub, and some thick steels in. Clutch life can be as short as 20 passes.

Ignore this member   
drryanscarsella

Expert Class
posted November 18, 2006 06:03 PM        
Welcome, as a late model rider also, I feel your pain on the mods. If money is an issue, a slip on might help and can be found on ebay cheap, I got a yosh for 75 plus ship and like new. I took cat out and then shortened pipe by half and removed baffling, airfilter modification would be next or replace. BMC's are nice. I havent changed my timing yet, but I think the newer ones will gain from this mod. Personally I think full exhaust is best bolt on due to weight savings andf top end hp. Best bang for the buck is dry nos shot, 229 on ebay for a 40 kit with 1 lb bottle. Gearing is a fun mod too. I run 17-50 on stock wheelbase, and it is a handful, but man is accelerates fast on the street. At track, this causes a lot of wheelspin with street tire, shootout might help here, but you will need weight on front end.
I added some links to my chain, which allowed the axle to be pulled all the way back for an extra inch or two of wheelbase.
The late models have a better clutch then the other years, the hub doesnt need to be drilled on 04. Springs would help though to stiffen it up a bit.
Most of these mods are fairly cheap, save a few bucks a week and you shouldbe able to find a used full system on ebay or classified here or at the 12r site. Other than that learn to ride your bike, play with your set up, spring rebound, ride height, clutch pull adjustment and get as fast as you can with what you have.

Ignore this member   
ozzy

Needs a job
need guberment cheese
posted November 18, 2006 07:01 PM        Edited By: MadMike on 6 Dec 2006 10:48
mint condtion Yosh RS3 duplex full stainless system shipped to 48 states is available in the classified section
  Ignore this member   
capt10ed

Expert Class
posted December 05, 2006 01:07 AM        
Hay Dr. any word fromm that guy in Maxton
on de-restricting the 04 yet?

Ignore this member   
TRNorBRN6001

Needs a job
posted December 06, 2006 10:06 AM        
Can't beat nos for intial price................................but it can come with a heavy price tag later on!

welcome to one of the best ZX-12 sites around!

Ignore this member   
drryanscarsella

Expert Class
posted December 06, 2006 02:09 PM        
Not yet, they forwarded my message to the book keeping nad no replies so far. I will keep you guys posted and will resend the message again tomorrow morning.
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > DRAGBIKE ZONE.com > Thread: 2004 ZX12 cheap mods NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2014 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.36463379859924 seconds processing time