HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > DRAGBIKE ZONE.com > Thread: remaping the ign. {Doug}? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
MO

Expert Class
posted January 02, 2002 04:16 PM        
remaping the ign. {Doug}?

Here we go one more try! the 2002 12r states the ign was remapped to enhance low & mid-range HP perhaps I'm stupid but I would guess it was by advancing the timeing in these areas I have tried the fast by frank map & he has advanced the low end considerably up to 18% at one point I tried it and it seems to make power and a loud exhaust so I tried 10% from 500 to 8000 & again it seems fine and makes power. but now I'm getting a bit leary I will keep working on it I will try 15% and taper it off up to 8000 then use the muzzy ign from there if kawi found more power in the map maybe it was retarded down low simular to a few of the other bikes any way I tried posting this on the other boards with no feed back what do you think? and will the auther of the fast by frank map contact me please mowesley@aol.com

Ignore this member    Click here to send MO an AIM message. 
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted January 02, 2002 05:03 PM        Edited By: dougmeyer on 2 Jan 2002 16:05
YOU'RE SCARIN' ME!

When you say 15% or 18% do you mean a percentage of the actual timing or are you figuring that the numerals in your PC3R timing map are percentages? 'Cause they're not. They are NUMBERS OF DEGREES added to or subtracted from your stock timing map. Forgive me if I'm assuming too great a degree of ignorance on your part if that's not the case. If it is the case, as Meat Loaf says, STOP RIGHT THERE! and put the map back to stock and install a proven timing map. If you are using percentages, how do you know what the value is that you are taking a percentage OF in order to come up with a number of degrees to add?
Doug

Ignore this member   
MO

Expert Class
posted January 02, 2002 07:20 PM        
I called the pc folk and they said it is a percentage. shit I dont think it would even run advanced 18 deg like the fast by frank map I need to do mor home work on that. what I would like to know is just how retarded is the 00 & 01 map that they could remap enough low & mid-range to the 2002 to advertise it. I know it worth lookin into. and thought you may have the tools to do it. by the way I'm scarin me too! thats why I'm askin. and the old map is in, the other is still under consruction. thanks

MO

Expert Class
posted January 03, 2002 06:52 AM        
c-mon some body get this thead movin

dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted January 03, 2002 09:39 AM        
OH NO MO

The numbers in the IGNITION map are degrees of advance or retard. In the FUEL map they are percentages. Please re-confirm this with DJ if you wish (800.992.4993). Re-evaluate what you've done here. The maximum value you should have anywhere in the ignition map is a 5. In some places you'll have a -3.
Doug

Ignore this member   
MO

Expert Class
posted January 04, 2002 07:02 PM        
OK I stand corrected,it's degrees. from -11 up to +11 is the max that you can ajust it.so how did they remap the 2002 to enhance the low & mid-range HP.seeing I thought that we were dealing in percentages I put 10s from 500 to 8000 rpm the bike got louder and seemed to be snapier. but I did not load the engine hard just a few 1s & 2nd gear runs.theres no noticable damage thank god! I'm still interested in what a stock electronic timeing curve looks like, I know curves as in mecanical advance, but when you throw throtle position in the mix its a mental over load. I really want to see a stock map

RAC4IT

Needs a job
Bergie
posted January 05, 2002 12:15 AM        Edited By: RAC4IT on 4 Jan 2002 23:21
Hmm

quote:
OK I stand corrected,it's degrees. from -11 up to +11 is the max that you can ajust it.I put 10s from 500 to 8000 rpm the bike got louder

Dood he is not saying that 5 is the maximum number you can input. Doug is saying that you should not advance the timing more than 5 degrees. Adding 10 degrees to your stock timing tables is crazy. You are bound to break something with those numbers and I don't think anyone should be doing adjustments like this until they have a complete understanding of what is happening changes to ignition and fuel tables are made. Just food for thought and I don't want to see you break anything!

Ignore this member   
MO

Expert Class
posted January 05, 2002 07:48 AM        
yea, I fucked up! I swear they told me it was percentages. hell I made a big deal about getting a map,shit adding degrees to mimic a stationary mecanical advance would be to simple. thats where the 10s came from 10% of 36 degs would have only ben 3.5 degees. fortunatly I was lucky and I'll still have to wait on the big bore & port work till my next boo boo! ATENTION!!!!! THE 2002 ADVERTISES MORE LOW & MID-RANGE HORSE POWER DUE TO CHANGES IN THE IGNITION MAP!!!!! all other info in this thread is a byproduct of that topic I know now its degrees but still want to discuss the power availble in the low & mid-range by simply ajusting my Pc3 simular to what kawasaki has done on the 2002 ZX12r! but I do appreciate the concern timeing is definatly not to be takin lightly. by the way the Dj guys said theres no significant gain to be made ajusting the timeing on a stock bike! LOL!

MO

Expert Class
posted January 08, 2002 07:19 AM        
I still wont give up! I've tried several ignition curves but get the best results from what should be way to agressive advances in the timeing. would still love to see a graff of a stock ignition map. how the hell do I go about getting one of those?

dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted January 10, 2002 05:08 PM        
Mo,
What are "best results"? Have you tried an ignition map that has been created carefully on a dyno? I've gotta tell you, there really isn't much wiggle room here. What works, works and not much that you could do is likely to work any better.
The stock "curve" is not available. We have a pretty good idea of what it looks like because we "reverse engineered" it by running the engine on the dyno and determining the advance with a zeroing timing light.
Also, keep in mind that it really isn't a "curve" (based on rpm only) in the traditional sense, it's literally a three dimensional topographical construct because it has two variables, throttle opening AND RPM.
Now, put that thing down before you hurt yourself.
Doug

Ignore this member   
MO

Expert Class
posted January 11, 2002 06:39 AM        
yea, I probly ought to. I cant ever seem to leave well enough alone. working on my brother to split a DJ 250 with me and taking it mobile to meets tracks & hangouts. but till then my ass will have to do. I'm not playing with the extream #s as befor but I will continue to play. if you have a dyno built ign, map please send it to me mowesley@aol.com

dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted January 11, 2002 10:13 AM        
It's in the (e) mail.
Doug

Ignore this member   
zx12r4play

Novice Class
Dirty South
posted January 12, 2002 07:47 AM        
MO where are you located you said that you were taking your bike to Mobile? Are you in Alabama?
  Ignore this member   
MO

Expert Class
posted January 13, 2002 06:37 AM        
no I am in austin texas. I would have to go to dallas to get any DJ250 work.

All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > DRAGBIKE ZONE.com > Thread: remaping the ign. {Doug}? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2011 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.611932039261 seconds processing time