HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: zx12 muzzy clutch kit install PROBLEMS NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
RobertMcBeth

Novice Class
posted June 02, 2016 03:27 AM        Edited By: RobertMcBeth on 2 Jun 2016 10:29
zx12 muzzy clutch kit install PROBLEMS

Had some clutch chatter in my 02 z12r

bought muzzy kit from schnitz racing

pulled old clutch, was an aftermarket kit, found a broken first skinny clutch

Installed muzzy clutch kit,

Did Not Install last fiber offset

Removed all but one chatter ring (literally one cone shaped ring, cone facing out inside the firts skinny clutch ring)

Sprayed and Wiped steels with brake clean before installation

Intstalled Steels sharp side facing out

Lubed fibers with oil

Did all this per information i found on here per old post by DOUG MEYER

Adjusted clutch cable per instructions, 1/4 gap at lever adjustment, loosened nuts on adjustment at cover, pulled clutch cable tight, tightened adjustment at clutch cover and adjusted clutch freeplay at clutch lever.

At first I had disengagement issues, had to tighten the cable so tight there was no freeplay and there was actually tension on the cable, to keep it from lunging forward and driving through the clutch when shifted out of neutral into first gear

Pulled everything apart and re-installed verifying I had installed everything correctly.

Freeplay is now satisfactory

Have done this 4 times now and cannot get satisfaction

Bike runs and shifts smooth now, for the most part, still having disengagement issues intermittently.

Bike Seems to have lost power as well, and refuses to light up the rear tire when a burnout is attempted, just drives through the brake, or barely turns the rear tire.

I AM SO FREAKING FRUSTRATED RIGHT NOW I WANNA LIGHT A MATCH AND GET A CAN OF GAS

bueller?

HELP!!!!!!!

Ignore this member   
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted June 02, 2016 08:44 AM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 2 Jun 2016 17:47
It sounds like you did do everything right and there were literally thousands of these kits sold and operated trouble free. I suggest you look at the puller and actuator shaft for damage. There should be no apparent wear on these parts. The puller rotates on a ball bearing and there should be no relative motion between the puller and actuator shaft. If you take the parts out and send me some pictures I'll be glad to look at 'em
dmeyer (at) bendcable.com

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted June 02, 2016 01:14 PM        
awesome offer of help Doug

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
RobertMcBeth

Novice Class
posted June 07, 2016 02:05 PM        Edited By: RobertMcBeth on 7 Jun 2016 21:30
quote:
It sounds like you did do everything right and there were literally thousands of these kits sold and operated trouble free. I suggest you look at the puller and actuator shaft for damage. There should be no apparent wear on these parts. The puller rotates on a ball bearing and there should be no relative motion between the puller and actuator shaft. If you take the parts out and send me some pictures I'll be glad to look at 'em
dmeyer (at) bendcable.com

Doug, thank you for your time and insight.

I thought the same thing as you, both the puller and actuactor, infact did have some wear.

I replaced these parts tonight. I also installed a new clutch cable, added the missing spacer on the actuator at the clutch cover, replaced spacer on the puller, would have replaced bearing at puller as well but the girl at my local kawi dealer ordered the wrong bearing (even though i gave here the corect part #) and when I arrived to pick up my parts today she had the bearing for the basket. I also went ahead and replaced the last fiber and first fiber on the clutch pack because they had darkened in color.

No noticeable difference, same problems.

I tried an experiment over the weekend. I borrowed a friends dial caliper, though it does not read in decimals, the stack measured just over 56mm. I replaced 2 2.0 steels, with a single 1.6 and double 1.6 steel bringing the stack height up to just under 58mm.

This made it easy to once again light the tires effortlessly.

Thinking the same as you, tonight I reinstalled the full muzzy kit as sold, thinking the shaft and actuator were the problems, and my stack height was potentially too high and i shouldnt have to add extra shims to it.

Im going to take a break on this lil headache of a project until friday when i recieve my correct bearing for the puller. Will also purchase 2 1.4 steels and a harbor freight digital dial caliper, just incase my only recourse is to shim the stack height up.

The only other thing i can think is that the hd schnitz racing springs I purchased are absolute garbage. I have noticed when i pull everything apart the are "bound" in the pressure plate and require some effort to pull out.

I will keep you gentlemen posted.

Thanks again, I swear, a gallon of gas and a match look mighty apealing at this moment, as I am at my wits end.

Ignore this member   
frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted June 08, 2016 02:37 PM        
Now this is good ol' fashioned zx12rzone content. Love it.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit frEEk's homepage. 
RobertMcBeth

Novice Class
posted March 31, 2018 02:23 PM        
Just reading some old post, stack height was off as sold, used some different thickness steels in the end of the pack and all works fine now
  Ignore this member   
TurboBlew

BUSY DOING THE SCHIAVO
posted April 10, 2018 09:08 AM        
um asking about a zx12 Muzzy clutch kit in 2016??? WTF? Dude that ship sailed in 2005.

too funny! FYI... honda nighthawk fibers fit!

Ignore this member   
RobertMcBeth

Novice Class
posted May 05, 2018 02:29 AM        
Yeah, man kinda hard to find info on such an old bike, harder to find parts sometimes

I love my ole girl no need to be condescending, turboblew

Any advantage to nighthawk fibers?

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: zx12 muzzy clutch kit install PROBLEMS NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.25573396682739 seconds processing time