HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: 12r cold idle problem NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
zx12mark

Pro
posted March 24, 2016 05:20 AM        
12r cold idle problem

Once hot idles fine......Back to stock bike. 2000 bike 62300 miles with brand new 2003 engine and throttle bodies 3500 miles.Didn`t have this problem when pc3r and pipe was installed on same set up. Put bike back to stock to sell.Service manual does`nt say dick for this kind of trouble shooting.Anybody ever have a bad ap,iap or iat sensors. What type of symptoms did the sensor cause..The tps is the same part for 2000 and 2003 throttle bodies.
When starting cold with fast idle on full bike fires right up but will act erratic when you try to slightly lower the fast idles control .As the engine warms up and I try to lower the rpms slightly from over revving the engine will jug and stop running.Once it hits it`s magic temp it acts like nothings wrong............

Ignore this member    Click here to visit zx12mark's homepage. 
tuusinii

Pro
posted March 24, 2016 05:30 AM        
First did you check the TPS position? Because you have changed the engine maybe you should play with the air bypass srews in throttle bodies to tune it better. What kind of values PC had on 0%? That could give you a direction what is wrong.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit tuusinii's homepage. 
zx12mark

Pro
posted March 24, 2016 05:44 AM        
Everything is set to the factory specs from the original install of the new engine and t/b`s.I always have ran with aftermarket pipe around 10% more fuel on the first 3 columns at 0 % throttle. to me it`s like something is telling the engine do not richen up while cold.It is back to stock.It`s been 3 years since I switch engine and t/b`s.
zx12mark

Pro
posted March 26, 2016 11:28 AM        
I swapped the the water temp sensor.I just happen to have 1 from the old engine. I test before doing the swap and it was good.Still did`nt fix the problem. More hours of my life I`ll never get back..............I`m trying to get myself to install the original throttle body`s.
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted March 26, 2016 12:16 PM        
Is the idle constant or does it do the classic 12r undulation?

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
tuusinii

Pro
posted March 27, 2016 03:41 AM        
I would adjust the air srews to try to make it run. The new engine may need diffrent settings than the original. It may have run with the pc but now without it needs some adjusting. That doesnt sound like a fault... Also tweaking a little with TPS could help but on idle the ECU should use only IAP.
zx12mark

Pro
posted March 27, 2016 09:25 AM        
This is all goofy shit.When I first pushed the starter button after new engine,new engine harness and new throttle bodies without pc3 connected and WITH micron full system installed it fired into life in 2 seconds of crank with the fast idle on full like normal.Never had to jack with it. After a few minutes warm up I turned off fast idle and set rpms with idle adjuster to 1300 rpms and was riding.I the hooked up pc3r with old engine map and it ran very well.I later had a custom map made for new engine.Now back to stock it has a problem.
BESIDES THE FAST IDLE CONTROL DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF THE ECU CAN TELL THE INJECTORS TO RICHEN UP WHEN COLD. I have never seen a 12r that was cold, idle without the fast idle lever pulled all the way on for a few minutes.

tuusinii

Pro
posted March 28, 2016 04:59 PM        
Yes. ECU will richen up the mixture but the fast idle lever is only way to give more air to the engine. That's why you need the lever pulled for it to run. There are both air temp and water temp sensors that act here. Are you now full stock? Like exhaust? Because normally all aftermarket pipes need less fuel on low RPM:s so maybe the Micron worked without PC but now the with full stock you need to alter the air srews... Broken IAP or AAP sensor could make it run bad on idle also, but most probably you would then get a code. And you have checked the TPS position? The TPS sensor tend to go bad over time...
tuusinii

Pro
posted March 28, 2016 09:25 PM        
But anyhow. It doesn't sound like a sensor error if it otherwise runs good...
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted March 28, 2016 11:22 PM        
Concerns me re: pc3. I had one die on me in the middle of nowhere. Had to extract it on the side of the road.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
zx12mark

Pro
posted March 29, 2016 05:19 AM        
The whole bike is back to stock.Once hot everything is fine.
zx12mark

Pro
posted April 14, 2016 12:16 PM        
The new 2003 engine had new throttle bodies on it. I put the original 2000 rack on it now its MO BETTER.
tuusinii

Pro
posted April 14, 2016 06:21 PM        
So probably either the TPS or air screws settings were little different... But glad that you got it figured out.
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: 12r cold idle problem NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.24224615097046 seconds processing time