HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Limp Home Mode NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
FlaminRoo

Novice Class
posted March 10, 2016 08:30 PM        
Limp Home Mode

What is affected when the 2002 ZX12 goes into Limp Home Mode, Timing and/or Fuel ??

Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted March 10, 2016 08:39 PM        
It depends what is broken. If TPS is broken then the ECU will use IAP and lock timing to fixed TPS position. If something else is broken it will normally lock that broken value to some fixed value. But yes, of course in the end all will affect timing and fuel
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit tuusinii's homepage. 
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted March 10, 2016 11:47 PM        
Don't think I ever made it into limp home mode. Know freek basically live in it

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
FlaminRoo

Novice Class
posted March 11, 2016 07:11 PM        
Thankyou Tuusinii,, Whats IAP ?
  Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted March 13, 2016 03:00 AM        
IAP=Inlet Air Pressure. What ECU uses to calculate fuel at low TPS positions because it's more accurate than TPS at very low throttle openings. Me neither has ever went to limp home mode - only on purpose. So must have been lucky because allready over 160tkm (100k miles) on my two ZX12:s.
FlaminRoo

Novice Class
posted March 13, 2016 07:02 AM        Edited By: FlaminRoo on 13 Mar 2016 14:03
is there a "Fixed value" ??, if so, what is it, fuel and or timing ??
  Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted March 13, 2016 06:22 PM        
What I mean by fixed value is following: The ECU calculates the requided fuel and timing advance from multiple sensors. If one sensor fails, for example Inlet Air Temperature, then ECU assumes that the temperature is fixed (like 23 degrees celsius or something else). Or if TPS fails then it calculates fuel by IAP and other still working sensors and fixes ignition to 0% TPS value. (ECU needs some information about the amount of air that goes in to the engine so it can switch from TPS to IAP control but if both fails it can't run anymore). But of course ECU can't make fueling fixed because engine needs different amout of fuel for different RPMs and throttle openings. So when sensor fails the ECU can't use that information anymore but uses a fixed value that is probably close enough for engine to run (limp home) but it will be off from optimum value. For example that temp sensor failure. If actual temp is higher than fixed value the fueling will be little rich or if the actual temp is lower then the fuelling will be little lean but the engine will still run somehow. Of course as ZX12 ECU is open loop the end result probably isin't optimum to start with and for the manufacturer the optimum isin't max power as they have to deal with emission limits and other factors too. But the prinsiple is that.
FlaminRoo

Novice Class
posted March 13, 2016 07:35 PM        
"Thankyou"
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: Limp Home Mode NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.24177002906799 seconds processing time