HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: 04 zx12r lean condition NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
phippsnd

Parking Attendant
posted April 20, 2015 09:13 AM        Edited By: phippsnd on 20 Apr 2015 23:16
04 zx12r lean condition

I have a 2004 ZX12R and I am completely stumped on a lean condition I'm experiencing above 8k rpms. I have had it on the dyno 5 times after various repairs to no avail.

I have removed the cat from the stock exhaust, replaced the fuel pump, fuel line, removed and sent out the throttle body and injectors for cleaning, put in fresh plugs, done a recent valve adjustment, and have a PC V installed. On the dyno it appears that my fuel just drops off above 8k. If I add crazy numbers to the map (+80) above 8k I can get it to run up to 152 hp at the wheel but I know there's still an issue somewhere and revert it back to a stock map for daily riding.

No FI light has ever come on except when I'm intentionally fiddling with the sensors. It doesn't over heat, it runs fine, and I deleted the kleen system to make sure I'm not getting any artificially lean readings from the wideband O2 sensor while on the dyno. I'm the service manager at a shop and an experienced technician, but this thing has me scratching my head out of frustration. Even the experienced tuner that runs the dyno here in Seattle is stumped.

Someone please tell me they've run into this issue before!

Ignore this member   
phippsnd

Parking Attendant
posted April 20, 2015 09:17 AM        
Oh and I even tuned and checked the tps with a multimeter.
  Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted April 22, 2015 10:46 PM        
Have you looked at the actual fuel injector duty cycles? I'm meaning that from there you could see if the problem is in the electrics (ECU commands too little fuel) or if the problem is with the fuel flow? Does the fuel pressure stay constant? And have you checked the sensors according the Service manual?
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit tuusinii's homepage. 
tuusinii

Pro
posted April 22, 2015 10:51 PM        
The duty cycle should peak at about 8000 RPM in and stay quite constant between 7500-9500. And then it lowers a little.

supra5677

Pro
posted April 30, 2015 03:29 AM        
Fuel pump?

supra

Ignore this member     
phippsnd

Parking Attendant
posted June 02, 2015 01:29 PM        
Forgot to ever respond. Clogged internal fuel filter (inside the hanger assembly) was clogged and restricting flow. Back up to a respectable 161 whp.
  Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted June 02, 2015 03:24 PM        
Good that you got it figured out! Did you bought a new one or just cleaned it? If you bought a new one - what did you use. Because at least couple years ago the filter wasn't available from KHI as replacement part.
phippsnd

Parking Attendant
posted June 02, 2015 03:25 PM        
It isn't I spent 550 on an entirely new hanger and pump assembly at the dealer...
  Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted June 03, 2015 02:51 PM        
Auch. One would think that there would be some aftermarket part that could be fitten. Because I'm been thinking of changing the filter as a service measure, because our bike are allready 15 years old... Anyone know if some car filter would fit?
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: 04 zx12r lean condition NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.25001811981201 seconds processing time