HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: want: Ohlins front/rear NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
EastBayDave

Needs a job
posted January 07, 2015 02:38 AM        
want: Ohlins front/rear

Hi guys...

The ZRX friend of mine who bought my 00' ZX12R is in the market for Ohlins front/rear for my old Ninja. Being a big guy I always thought it needed the shock, but never could afford. He also
wants to do the Ohlins forks as well.

Who's got a "set" of both & how much? OR who's got the best deal?

Thanks,

EBD

Ignore this member   
EastBayDave

Needs a job
posted January 17, 2015 04:06 AM        
want Ohlins front/rear for 00' ZX12R

Sure is quiet out there, anyone anyone? Bueller?

Ignore this member   
WARBIRD

Needs a job
posted January 17, 2015 06:15 AM        
Hi Dave. Definitely call Kyle Racing. If they don't have them in stock they should be able to get them for you or send you in the right direction. They will custom set up the front and rear before sending them out also.

http://www.kyleusa.com
Charles

Ignore this member   
EastBayDave

Needs a job
posted January 18, 2015 12:35 PM        
quote:
Hi Dave. Definitely call Kyle Racing. If they don't have them in stock they should be able to get them for you or send you in the right direction. They will custom set up the front and rear before sending them out also.

http://www.kyleusa.com
Charles

Hi Charles,

Well got in contact w/Kyle racing & they said:

quote:

To me mike@kyleusa.com Today at 11:33 AM
Ohlins no longer offers a Rear shock for the 2000 ZX12R they still have them for the 2002-2005 ZX12R

I do not recall them ever having a front fork for the 2000 ZX12R, but even if they did it is also no longer available

Dan
831 394 1330

I also looked in their catalog & got the same answer. Shock available for 02'-05', but no forks ever were made for the ZX12R.

Hmmm. Makes me wonder if the 02'-05' shock would fit; or did they change the linkage? I wonder if a Penske is available? Problem might be just the age of the application, 14 years.

I'm sure w/some work on triple-clamps/cables/wiring a ZX14 fork would work; but might be prohibitory expensive? Gonna check on some more shock makers & see what's available, & if anyone got something mounted up years ago, really would like to hear from you.

Thanks,

EBD

Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted January 18, 2015 03:54 PM        
Myself I bought Wilbers rear shock two years ago and been really pleased. The ride quality is much better - both comfortable and better traction. I got the one with hydraulic preload adjuster so can change when I have some luggage without tools. And also has independent ride height adjuster so the change is also easy.

They asked my riding weight and preferences and adjusted the shock ready and so far I haven't had a need to change other than dial in the ride hight. Strongly recommend and it will change the bike to better quite cheaply. On the front I only went to heavier springs (10Nm). Nothing bad to say about that either. It took some time to dial the ride height after the changes (especially the front) but the endresult is much better.

They seem to have US importer also: http://www.wilbersusa.com/

The shock I got was 643 competition with hydraulic adjuster.

And the 02-05 shock is different height than the 00-01...

Ignore this member    Click here to visit tuusinii's homepage. 
EastBayDave

Needs a job
posted January 21, 2015 02:40 AM        
thanks for all the great info tuusinii; I'll pass this along.

During my search another question came up; do you all know if there was a fork LENGTH change during the 5 years of USA availability of the zx12r ??? How about triple-clamp orientation (rake/trail/etc.) Trying to figure out if perhaps a different year model suspension would fit at both ends.

Thanks

ebd

quote:
Myself I bought Wilbers rear shock two years ago and been really pleased. The ride quality is much better - both comfortable and better traction. I got the one with hydraulic preload adjuster so can change when I have some luggage without tools. And also has independent ride height adjuster so the change is also easy.

They asked my riding weight and preferences and adjusted the shock ready and so far I haven't had a need to change other than dial in the ride hight. Strongly recommend and it will change the bike to better quite cheaply. On the front I only went to heavier springs (10Nm). Nothing bad to say about that either. It took some time to dial the ride height after the changes (especially the front) but the endresult is much better.

They seem to have US importer also: http://www.wilbersusa.com/

The shock I got was 643 competition with hydraulic adjuster.

And the 02-05 shock is different height than the 00-01...

Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted January 21, 2015 05:37 AM        
If you want the '04- radial brake setup you need to also change the tripple clamps and brake disks. Otherwise it's only color as far as the looks go, but the internals of the forks did change couple of times. If you wan't B-modl shock you also have to change the linkage and also the rear swingarm.

By the way. I also ordered the Wilbers to be +10mm longer and combined with +-10mm adjustment I can go from std to +20mm higher.

WARBIRD

Needs a job
posted January 21, 2015 02:11 PM        
Well this is certainly interesting..... Sorry if I sent you in the wrong direction Dave.

I called Traxxion Dynamics and they said they have a Penske shock, and that their cartridges for the ZX12R forks are the same for all years. (that should mean they all are the same length) This would be a top shelf solution for sure. They do excellent work, and their cartridges are known to be every bit as good as or better than Ohlins according to a lot of the racing community.

So as far as I can tell.......the later style forks with radial calipers and Traxxion cartridges should slide into the triple clamps and perform as well as Ohlins, and the Penske shock is an excellent performer and having it all setup by Traxxion should be a great solution.

If anyone knows different please post up as I still have one of the 12R's I bought new in 2000 and am wanting to do the same upgrades. I am surprised and disappointed that no Ohlins stuff is available, but seems as though there is a comparable solution with Traxxion.

Charles

Ignore this member   
WARBIRD

Needs a job
posted January 21, 2015 02:13 PM        
Sorry.....forgot to post a link.......

http://www.traxxion.com

Ignore this member   
WARBIRD

Needs a job
posted January 21, 2015 02:35 PM        
Read tuusinii's post after I posted. The clamps do have different part numbers but i don't know if it is because of dimensions or cosmetics. It does look like you could replace the fork bottom of the 2000 with the 2004/05/06 though. And the Traxxion cartridges part number is the same for all years. 2000 through 2006....

From what I could find the 14 fork swap is quite involved....

tuusinii please post up again....

Thanks
Charles

Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted January 21, 2015 05:59 PM        
Sorry after I tried to search for the info it seems like the 04-06 radial tubes goes straight to stock triple trees. I just remembered you had to change the tripple trees but maybe it was to ZX10 forks and not 04-06 model forks. So those don't need to be changed. And upgrading the master cylinder for zx14 should be the best (cheap) combo with radial forks. So in the end you would need 04-06 forks, zx14 master cylinder, calibers and either 310mm brake disks or shims to go with original 320mm disks.
chuck762

Novice Class
posted January 21, 2015 06:19 PM        
Ohlins used to make forks for the zx12. I had a set that i sold last year. They haven't been available for quite some time now as i bought them on close out over 4 years ago.

The zx12 forks are pretty long compared to the ZX10 stuff so you loose ground clearance and change the rake/trail.

Ignore this member   
WARBIRD

Needs a job
posted January 22, 2015 12:27 AM        
Thanks tuusinii and chuck762. Appreciate the info and that is all good news.

Ignore this member   
EastBayDave

Needs a job
posted January 22, 2015 05:12 AM        
quote:
Thanks tuusinii and chuck762. Appreciate the info and that is all good news.

Yes, thank you thank you thank you.

Best info we have so far scouring the world & many other sites. I think likely the best thing to do is a set of fork cartridges, & a Penske or Wilburs shock. I like the Penske myself as much as the Ohlins as there's a Penske shop in CA not too far from me, & it has the same if not more adjustability.

I like this one too, but need to call them as I see no application for the ZX12R.
http://www.worksperformance.com/html/street.html

Ignore this member   
chuck762

Novice Class
posted January 22, 2015 01:49 PM        
I had the penske triple clicker on the rear of my 12. It was a nice shock. The only issue is mounting the remote reservoir. They give you a couple of hose clamps and rubber mounts but there is really nothing to mount it to. I made a bracket and bolted it to the frame towards the back of the tail section but im sure there are other methods.

As long as the stock forks are in good shape a set of cartridges will work. I was going to go that route until i saw a place closing out the ohlins forks for only slightly more then the cartridges years ago. A set of the radial mount forks would be nice for upgrading the brakes but it does limit swapping aftermarket wheels if you find something not listed for the 12 but you want to fit up.

Anything is an improvement over a worn out stock rear shock.

Works should be able to custom build shocks for anything. My friends wife had Works make one made for her VTR250 years ago.

Some people swap in a ZX14 or 10 shock but I'm sure the spring rate and damping is off. Oddly enough the ZX12 and early ZX10 linkage rocker are the same. The arms are different and i am not sure about the mounting points as far as leverage ratios but they are the same casting and bearings/spacers and hole positions.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: want: Ohlins front/rear NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.37500715255737 seconds processing time