HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: ZX12R 2006 v 2004 NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Flip3seven

Parking Attendant
posted November 24, 2014 08:49 PM        
ZX12R 2006 v 2004

Hi, I'm a newbie here and after some advice......

I've recently replaced my 2004 ZX12R engine with a 2006 engine. The only difference between the two engines was the connector from the engine block near the sprocket. I chopped the wires and soldered on the 2004 connector to connect into the loom but since then, the engine will not fire up. I'm wondering if I've missed a few wires or if there has been some engine changes since 2004.......

The 2006 engine turns over but when I apply some throttle, backfires through the throttle bodies...

Any help or advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated........

Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted November 26, 2014 04:34 PM        
There's not much info on the the 2006 because it wasn't offered in US and not many sold on Europe either. I've always thought the 04-06 are same but it seems like there are differencies as you say. Did you check from service manual that you soldered the wires right? If there are different connectors there may be different wires in them. Also in the older models there was differencies in CAM pickup point and crank sensors were different from one year to another. Those differencies were mainly 00 being different than others in the CAM pick up and then with the 32 bit ECU on 04 the crank sensor pickup had different slotting. I'd first recheck all the wires from wiring diagram to make sure you didn't screm anything up. Then I would check the crank sensor pickup. You can probably take it from your old engine if it's different. But I don't believe in that. Be awere that there could different color wires on 06 vs 04 even for the same wire so I would check from 04 wiring diagram where each wire is coming and check that it goes to right pin in the connector.

Does it throw some code in the ECU when you try to start?

Ignore this member    Click here to visit tuusinii's homepage. 
Flip3seven

Parking Attendant
posted December 01, 2014 06:34 AM        
Thanks for the reply. I have wiring diagrams for both engines and everything appears to be ok. Engine still won't fire though and I just cant understand why. They didn't change the firing order or something daft like that did they? Looks like I'll be ringing Kawasaki UK Technical department tomorrow...........
  Ignore this member   
Flip3seven

Parking Attendant
posted December 02, 2014 09:23 PM        
Just to update............. It turns out that the 04 engine is actually an 03 engine!

This possibly explains why the 06 engine won't fire up and I suspect the the reluctor rotors for the cam sensor and crank sensor might need replacing with the 03 units as Tuusinii stated above.

I'll get them swapped in the next few days and update........

Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted December 03, 2014 01:21 AM        
Yes. Then that explains why the connector was different. The crank sensor is definately different, but I think the CAM sensor should be same. So first just change the pick-up plate (21007-1419).

Flip3seven

Parking Attendant
posted January 19, 2015 06:29 AM        
Just to update this thread, I replaced the crank and camshaft reluctor rotors and the engine fired up first time.. Yippeee. Thanks for the advice tuusinii, much appreciated!!
  Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted January 19, 2015 09:42 PM        
Good you got it running!
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: ZX12R 2006 v 2004 NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.24785590171814 seconds processing time