HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: carpenter BIG cam and tappet mod NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
00a1zx12r

Novice Class
posted August 13, 2014 08:56 AM        
carpenter BIG cam and tappet mod

I will be doing the carpenter head package on my 2000 12R very soon. They have an additional option for BIG cams and tappet mod. They say it produces about 10hp more. I don't know what this means and not sure what the trade off is for doing the mod.

Is there anyone here that can help me understand or give me some insight on this mod.

Ignore this member   
LandspeedLarry

Expert Class
posted August 13, 2014 10:35 AM        
The BIG cam mod is a cam with more lift. The stock ZX-12r tappets' diameter is too small to allow higher lift (The cam lobe would hit the side of the tappet) so Carpenter bores out your tappet bore to a larger diameter and fits larger tappets. Works fine for racing, pretty expensive for a street bike. LSL

Ignore this member   
00a1zx12r

Novice Class
posted August 13, 2014 12:02 PM        
Its only $1000 extra, not really concerned about the money, just want a good running bike. I wouldn't want it if the mod took away from reliability. If it makes the bike run like shit under lower RPM's, it would not be worth it to me, but if it ran the same, but just put out more power; I'd be all about it
  Ignore this member   
Gunner

Needs a life
posted August 14, 2014 02:18 AM        
It won't affect how the bike runs one way or the other. All it does is allows you to run larger cams without the lobes running off the side of the bucket.

Ignore this member   
00a1zx12r

Novice Class
posted August 16, 2014 03:09 AM        
Thank u for the information. Gunner and land speed Larry. I'll be using this bike to dominate the local street racing scene. I love this bike for the sleeper factor it has. People still do not know what it is and don't respect the potential of the 12R. I'll have enough cash to build it pretty much anyway I want, just want to do it correctly. I'll be going with the carpenter 1287cc kit with their Head package.

It sounds like the carpenter regular 1287cc kit with their normal head package is a pretty good way to go and should produce around 200hp. Just wanted some good advice on the configuration of it. (Which cams would be best for what I want to use it for).

Also, one more question. Is the OEM fuel pump adequate for this build or is it necessary to upgrade the fuel pump?

Thank u again for advice you guys have given and continue to give.

Ignore this member   
00a1zx12r

Novice Class
posted August 16, 2014 03:10 AM        
Thank u for the information. Gunner and land speed Larry. I'll be using this bike to dominate the local street racing scene. I love this bike for the sleeper factor it has. People still do not know what it is and don't respect the potential of the 12R. I'll have enough cash to build it pretty much anyway I want, just want to do it correctly. I'll be going with the carpenter 1287cc kit with their Head package.

It sounds like the carpenter regular 1287cc kit with their normal head package is a pretty good way to go and should produce around 200hp. Just wanted some good advice on the configuration of it. (Which cams would be best for what I want to use it for).

Also, one more question. Is the OEM fuel pump adequate for this build or is it necessary to upgrade the fuel pump?

Thank u again for advice you guys have given and continue to give.

Ignore this member   
Gunner

Needs a life
posted August 16, 2014 07:06 AM        
You'll notice several idiots that offer advice on the Kawasaki World site that I would take with a grain of salt.

Ignore this member   
00a1zx12r

Novice Class
posted August 16, 2014 08:05 AM        
OK, just to let u know gunner, I'm having my local shop doing all the motor work. Just sending the head out. My shop does nice work. Getting the bottom end fully refreshened with new rods as well. The 1290 kit will be installed right here in Tampa, fl. So I'm really looking for good things from the carpenter head.
  Ignore this member   
Gunner

Needs a life
posted August 17, 2014 05:26 AM        
Honestly if I were getting a 12R done today I would call Coby Adams to do the cylinder head. In the 12R hayday NO ONE beat Coby's motors.. Carpenter is a great choice for a Busa motor but the amount of time he has given a 12R could be counted on one hands fingers..

Ignore this member   
FlaminRoo

Novice Class
posted August 20, 2014 07:34 PM        
what is the actual horsepower gain (given differing motor combinations) with this modification, ??
  Ignore this member   
Gunner

Needs a life
posted August 21, 2014 06:17 AM        
quote:
what is the actual horsepower gain (given differing motor combinations) with this modification, ??

There's a ZERO power gain from this mod... All this mod does is allow you to run a larger cam without the lobe striking the edge of the bucket or striking the lip at the top of the bucket bore. Think of the bucket top as a landing zone for the cam lobe to strike. On each rotation of the cam the lobe rotates and breaks contact with the bucket around the base circle at the bottom which is where the cam clearance is set when you adjust that. Anyway on the way back around if the cam is too large (ie too much lift) the lobe would strike the edge of the bucket instead of the flat top where it's suppose to make contact. So once you exceed a given size cam the OEM bucket dia becomes too small to work... This mod makes NO POWER on it's own over the stock bucket. You could do this mod and replace the OEM cam shaft and never see any extra power..However on a large motor where a much larger cam shaft is called for this mod combined with that cam that you can now run will indeed make power, but the power actually comes from the cam not the bucket. But you can't have one without the other. The same thing happens once you use a cam large enough to mandate a shorter guide to allow enough room for the lobe to rotate around. The shorter guide makes no power but the cam you can now run does..... IF the motor requires a cam with that much lift.

There's guys on another site where this question has been ask that are actually stupid enough to think and say out loud that doing this mod will make your motor non street worthy and all kinds of silly shit like that... That is not the case. It could be possible I suppose if you installed a bucket that caused the bore to have paper thin walls but this really isn't that much larger bucket. The average guy wouldn't even notice the difference with a stock head laying next to a modified one.

Ignore this member   
00a1zx12r

Novice Class
posted August 21, 2014 12:12 PM        
Gunner, here's my number. 813-480-3210. Name is jason if u don't remember. I have some questions but don't want to publicly post. I lost ur number in another phone. Text me if you can. Hopefully I've contacted the right people to build me an awesome "all motor" zx12.
  Ignore this member   
Ken 12r

Novice Class
posted August 27, 2014 02:57 AM        
We did the bucket mod on my big normally aspirated motor as a precaution as we were close with the choice of inlet cam that we wanted to run so at high revs well better to be safe than sorry.
If I remember right the engine builder used Busa buckets but I am not 100% sure.
If you needed to know definitely i could always ask him,built me a very reliable 1394 cc with big cams but not silly compression that makes around 220 hp.

Ignore this member   
Gunner

Needs a life
posted August 27, 2014 03:12 AM        
quote:
We did the bucket mod on my big normally aspirated motor as a precaution as we were close with the choice of inlet cam that we wanted to run so at high revs well better to be safe than sorry.
If I remember right the engine builder used Busa buckets but I am not 100% sure.
If you needed to know definitely i could always ask him,built me a very reliable 1394 cc with big cams but not silly compression that makes around 220 hp.

It all seems a little silly when a 14R makes in the 220 Hp range with simple bolt on mods... And it has a full warranty for up to 4 years if you want to buy it.. Brings us right back to a lesson learned 30 years ago to never build a motor unless it's already the fastest thing you can buy..

Ignore this member   
Ken 12r

Novice Class
posted August 27, 2014 07:37 AM        
I agree but I have owned the bike for over ten years and it was bored and stroked over 6 years ago about when the original 14 appeared,if the motor breaks eventually it will be replaced with a 14r motor but if I want to go really fast I just use my Turbo 12r.

Ignore this member   
FlaminRoo

Novice Class
posted August 27, 2014 09:53 AM        
then, there is a certin satisfaction that comes with an older, smaller brother beating up on the younger, bigger brother,, LOL,,,,
  Ignore this member   
00a1zx12r

Novice Class
posted August 29, 2014 09:41 AM        
If the 14R looked like the 12R, I would own one. The 12R to me just looks like a 1000cc bike on steroids. The 14R to me looks like a big pig.
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: carpenter BIG cam and tappet mod NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.44279909133911 seconds processing time