HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: 2001 ZX-12R clutch help needed. NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Brian Ayres

Parking Attendant
posted August 12, 2014 02:41 AM        
2001 ZX-12R clutch help needed.

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2001 ZX-12R after putting around on my friends 14. The clutch needs work and I'm leaning towards buying the muzzy clutch kit. And also will install a billet basket if it doesn't already have one. The seller is sick and I don't know what all has been done to the bike. It has a full Arata exhaust, cams, bigger injectors and a few other mods I'm figuring out.

Muzzy doesn't list the 2001/2001 basket any more. Is the 2002/2006 basket compatible? Another option is Falicon and they do list a billet basket specific for my bike. Is there any preference between the two if the Muzzy works?

I was planning on having a new clutch puller, clutch cover gasket and clutch rod on hand to replace as well if needed. I'd almost prefer the Muzzy, just because I can have it on hand and pay the core.

I do have a shop service manual.

Thanks.

exhaust,

Ignore this member   
tattoodinmate

Parking Attendant
posted August 12, 2014 02:37 PM        
Clutch baskets from 2002 + newer WILL fit your bike. As to the muzzy vs falicon subject, I would go with the falicon. Falicon does not have a core program so you won't get other people's used junk gear. They can actually have her li e fractures in them and can cause a whining noise. Personally I think falicon is the way to go. I have recently replaced my basket on my zx12r with one from hays performance machining and I love it! Well worth $500. I can notice the bike climbs rpm faster now. Hope that helps in your decision process
  Ignore this member   
00a1zx12r

Novice Class
posted August 13, 2014 08:45 AM        
This is a great question because the clutch is the 12's weakest link. I personally went with the falicon basket and was pleased that they are actually about 10 miles from my house. I also went with the muzzy clutch kit, however the springs muzzy uses were to soft for my style. After melting several clutch packs this year, I finally went with a set of Brocks clutch springs. They are of valve spring quality and don't become brittle when the clutch gets hot.

Also, went installing the muzzy clutch pack with the 2.0 steels, make sure you take out the 2 chatter rings that go with the OEM pack. If you don't the clutch will lock up and will not work.

With the falicon basket, Brocks springs, muzzy hub and steels; you will have the the strongest clutch possible on the 12R is possible to have. Everyone has different tastes, but if your going to ride the 12R hard especially with performance mods, your going to have the strongest set up possible to have a chance against the big bikes of today's standards.

I hope this helps. This can all be done for about $1000

Ignore this member   
Brian Ayres

Parking Attendant
posted August 13, 2014 11:34 AM        
Thanks guys. I have read through several 12r forums and websites researching the clutch and the bike in general. I'm pretty darn happy with it.

I'll tear the bike down next week and ship the basket to Falicone after I get to ride it this weekend. The power commander that came with the Arata pipes is long gone. It has a stock tune, but with cams and bigger injectors I know it can't be running as well as it should.
I have to also check to see if it has a stock fuel pump. (Side note, I'm competent, but not one of those guys that can fix any engine.) I've read the bigger cams need a better fuel pump. I'll read up on that too and address it with the clutch.

Other than that the brakes are fine for now. Good tires. Love the CRG clutch and brake levers.
At 6'2" I'm considering bar risers but want to wait for the clutch to improve to see if lowering the pegs slightly is worth doing.

I installed ZX-14 mirrors last week as it only had a fifty cent piece bar end mirror on the left. I hated being blind for 180 degrees.

I absolutely love this bike.

Thanks for the advice.

exhaust,

Ignore this member   
Brian Ayres

Parking Attendant
posted August 14, 2014 01:48 AM        Edited By: Brian Ayres on 14 Aug 2014 15:49
[URL=http://s48.photobucket.com/user/BrianDAyres/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2D7B2984-337B-42EF-8BF3-8620FF1C5E48_zpsivzgdywh.jpg.html][/URL]

exhaust,

Ignore this member   
00a1zx12r

Novice Class
posted August 14, 2014 02:55 AM        
Do yourself a favor and please check to see if u have a billet basket. If you don't, then this is a must for the 12. Its a matter of when not if the OEM basket will explode.
  Ignore this member   
Brian Ayres

Parking Attendant
posted August 14, 2014 04:39 AM        
quote:
Do yourself a favor and please check to see if u have a billet basket. If you don't, then this is a must for the 12. Its a matter of when not if the OEM basket will explode.

Oh yes. I'll pick up a gasket and pull the clutch cover and check on Monday. I will order the Muzzy clutch kit and if there's a billet basket already, just rebuild the clutch.

If not it goes to Falicon.

I'm glad I have an Arata pipe already so Gunner will be happy.

exhaust,

Ignore this member   
00a1zx12r

Novice Class
posted August 14, 2014 07:17 AM        
quote:
quote:

Oh yes. I'll pick up a gasket and pull the clutch cover and check on Monday. I will order the Muzzy clutch kit and if there's a billet basket already, just rebuild the clutch.

If not it goes to Falicon.

I'm glad I have an Arata pipe already so Gunner will be happy.

I saw that Arata and am very jealous. I had to go with the Brocks, not a bad choice, but nowhere close to the Arata. you can only order striker and they are EXPENSIVE. About $2000 from Japan.

In all honesty, if you are an aggressive rider, order the brocks springs and don't even bother with the muzzy springs.

Ignore this member   
Brian Ayres

Parking Attendant
posted August 14, 2014 09:49 AM        
Muzzy clutch kit, Falicon basket and Brooks springs are the plan. Ordering a new PC tonight. Wide open this bike is incredible. But factory map with the cams and exhaust makes the bike a little too unruly at 1500-2500 rpm. I expect it'll smooth out some?

My best friend has a 14 and he helped me pick this bike out. Looking forward to seeing if I can keep up with him. In some fairly mild riding with my buddy on his 2005 'Busa I was never left behind.

exhaust,

Ignore this member   
chavcat

Zone Head
posted August 14, 2014 11:04 AM        
No need to pull the cover; remove the oil filler cap and you will see if the basket is OEM or billet.
  Ignore this member   
Brian Ayres

Parking Attendant
posted August 14, 2014 02:50 PM        
Thanks Chavcat. It's a stock basket for sure. Time to get it off to Falicone.

exhaust,

Ignore this member   
chavcat

Zone Head
posted August 14, 2014 11:10 PM        
You are welcome
  Ignore this member   
00a1zx12r

Novice Class
posted August 15, 2014 11:25 AM        Edited By: 00a1zx12r on 16 Aug 2014 01:27
Muzzy has an advancer that helps it out a bit to. I got mine at plus 2.5. With your list of mods, you'll be at around 175hp. Which gives you the ability to keep up with the older 14's and all busa's, I've never rode.with a Busa that I couldn't keep up with or beat. The new 14R's are just plain fast, especially if they are reflashed, tuned, and fully piped.

Do yourself a favor and make sure you get the bike dyno tuned. After your bike is properly tuned, you'll have a contender of today's HP machines.

Also, future mods to think about: a 17 tooth front sprocket to wake it up a little.
Some real nice carrozerria rims which transforms the 12 into a corner king. Racetech rebuild on the the front forks. Get the suspension dialed in to your liking. Through a Scotts adjustable damper for safety. After all that you'll have one serious bitch!

Ignore this member   
Brian Ayres

Parking Attendant
posted September 04, 2014 03:06 AM        
Instead of posting a new thread I'll ask here. The bike had a Powercommander III before I bought it. The guy said it was on the fritz and he had yanked it and lost it.....
I ordered and received a new PCV Tuesday. I was trying to decide where to go from here.
Install and download the Arata map from PC? Or buy the PC Autotune? Or add the PCV and have it dyno tuned after I rebuild the clutch?
Does PC sell a titanium oxygen sensor bung tap? Is the Autotune a good product?

So here are the mods I was told are done to the bike and what I can see.
The guy I bought it from is dying of cancer so is unavailable to consult and I didn't know all the right questions to ask when I bought it.

Full Arata exhaust.
K&N air filters.
Bigger cams(done properly? Who knows.)
Bigger jets.
Aftermarket aluminum radiator and fan.
Muzzy fuel pump.
It also has signals and taillights modded.
It had mirrors deleted. I added ZX-14 mirrors.

So if I just run the Arata map I know it'll run better than now. It surges and lopes a little. Idle isn't as smooth as other 12's but that might be the cams?

Is the Autotune a good thing to add, possibly with the ignition advance as well?
I have a new MacBook and IPad so to tune it myself I'll have to buy a little PC laptop too as PC doesn't seem to support Macs.

exhaust,

Ignore this member   
00a1zx12r

Novice Class
posted September 04, 2014 11:59 AM        
Honestly, you have to many mods for a generic map to work properly. Find a good performance shop in your area. Go get a custom map written for your bike. There is no replacement to a custom map. Especially since you have cams and have no idea what kind they are. After its dyno tuned, your bike will feel like a brand new bike. And you may pick up 10hp with a custom tune.

I hope you got your billet basket.

Ignore this member   
Brian Ayres

Parking Attendant
posted September 04, 2014 12:41 PM        
I am waiting a couple weeks until it starts raining here before ordering the parts. I have the money set aside but since I have to send my basket to Falicone, I'm enjoying the limited time I have riding now.

I was assuming the Dynotune would be best. I guess I was curious to see if there was a reason to buy and install the PC Autotune? My guess would be if the bike 's mods were changed or upgraded often Autotune will work well. After I get it running right I don't plan on any more engine mods. I'll work on the suspension next so no need to retune anytime soon.

exhaust,

Ignore this member   
00a1zx12r

Novice Class
posted September 05, 2014 01:12 AM        
As far as suspension. I ordered race-tech springs and had the stock back shock adjusted to my weight. Cost me about $300, if you go with the Racetech full rebuild with gold valves, compression and rebound, it will run you between 750 - 1000. But well worth the coin spent.
  Ignore this member   
tattoodinmate

Parking Attendant
posted September 05, 2014 01:40 AM        
quote:
As far as suspension. I ordered race-tech springs and had the stock back shock adjusted to my weight. Cost me about $300, if you go with the Racetech full rebuild with gold valves, compression and rebound, it will run you between 750 - 1000. But well worth the coin spent.

How hard was the muzzy ignition advancer to install?

Ignore this member   
00a1zx12r

Novice Class
posted September 05, 2014 07:04 AM        
Simple. Unbolt the stock rotor and install the muzzy. $100. Just make sure you read the markings correctly. Can't remember what each line.means for value.
  Ignore this member   
tattoodinmate

Parking Attendant
posted September 05, 2014 07:12 AM        
Awesome. That might be one of my next mods. Trying to piece together an akrapovic exhaust now. Can't find the mid pipe anywhere!!!! And I already have a brand new header.
  Ignore this member   
00a1zx12r

Novice Class
posted September 05, 2014 07:16 AM        
Just ask them to send a chart. Or you can look it up yourself online.
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: 2001 ZX-12R clutch help needed. NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.39034390449524 seconds processing time